Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Caleb Downs, KJ Bolden and Andrew Thomas recruitments show why consistency matters for Kirby Smart

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited January 18 in Article commenting
imageCaleb Downs, KJ Bolden and Andrew Thomas recruitments show why consistency matters for Kirby Smart

ATHENS — Kirby Smart couldn’t have known that Nick Saban was going to retire when he was speaking to reporters prior to the SEC championship game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackJack Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

In the past month has the school in Gainesville, Fl been mentioned at all in any recruiting article from any publication?

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We all know that the DLine we had before may never be replicated or then again it might be in a year or 2.

All I know is that it is possible for 8 or 9 of the 11 starters on defense to be 5 stars at once. That is pretty incredible.

We may literally have to trot out our second and third teams for half of our games. Not sure any but maybe 5 or 6 teams in the country will be able to compete. Have you guys seen Frazier? Williams is a total freak at LB and possibly Starks and Downs playing together with KJ coming in. Oof.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So many are now castigating the implementation of NIL.....most definitely it needs guidelines and restrictions to insure equal application. I see one huge benefit from NIL. Coaches must recruit with an eye not only on mental maturity, physical development and skill level but most importantly recruit by being consistent and respectful to every potential player identified as consistent with organizational goals.... no one does it better than Kirby and Company. In our search for potentially elite players, money will never be enough....Texas A&M and Jimbo proved that! Consistency in achieving the goal of winning, consistency in coaching via player development, consistency in preparing players for the next career level, consistency which fosters a TEAM culture and consistency in the respect for each individual player as a contributor to the goal of winning, or in the case of a recruit, potential contributor. Kirby Smart is now the holder of the Saban mantel. The University of Georgia is now The Premier football program in America and consistency with respect have brought us to this level.

I don't know where Caleb Downs will decide is the best fit for him but I do know where the best resides....GOOO DAWGS, SICEM!

• Options

Committment today?

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amen, brother. There's a lot of salesmanship involved. But Kirby and the staff seem to make every effort to follow through on the picture they paint for high school players and their families.

Every recruit knows that they'll get great coaching and conditioning, that they'll have to compete to move up the depth chart, and that even starters may not get as many game reps as they do at other schools.

Generally, when UGA players enter the portal, it's simply because they were being outcompeted for playing time. In the process, they express a lot of love for the coaches, their teammates and the program.

That public graciousness is true almost everywhere. But it's even more consistently true in Athens. Very few players leave because they think they'll have more camaraderie or fun or growth at another school. I don't think players are even transfering out of UGA for the NIL money -- at least as the main reason. If it's not a very unique circumstance (e.g. Adonai's daughter), it's all about playing time.

I do think other schools are trying to replicate that aspect of Georgia's culture. Dan Lanning comes to mind: He's a smart guy and a straight shooter, and he seems to be building Oregon that way.

• Options

College is quickly becoming the have and have nots even more than it was before. If you are a top 20 football school you want a deep roster to limit injuries before your guys go pro. This became true in the last 10 years with running backs and will soon become true for almost all positions. Show your worth, win for your team and save your body.

Only the playoffs and key games during the year will the top guys play more than a half in the future. Get prepared for the pros and save your body for the big NFL paydays.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Only the playoffs and key games during the year will the top guys play more than a half in the future."

... and in that respect, Kirby & company are ahead of the curve.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 18

That's how you develop "new top guys" for next year. And, next year....they'll be developing the top guys for the next year.

It's like wipin' your butt with a wagon wheel. Lol....it goes on in perpetuity, as long as you keep winning.....and, you keep winning, as long as you can develop "top guys".

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Getting antsy. Am I wrong or has it been about 48 hours...

• Options

I think we will get an announcement today since drop adds are this weekend at UGA. Ohio State or UGA. Not sure what OSU is offering but surely it is more than we are. We are probably offering whatever Starks is making or maybe slightly higher since this will be Starks last year and Downs has 2 years. I felt strongly it was UGA but I'm sure OSU gave his family and him a lot to think about.

Also, not sure on the rumors but potentially a DL or 2 may be coming or announcing today from Alabama. Possible but not sure on the validity. The entire starting team less juniors and seniors are basically leaving. I believe we are up to 22-25 of their top 2 units. Whether they come here or not is another issue but as long as they don't go to LSU, Ole Miss, or Texas I'm fine with it. I would rather Downs not go to OSU because he is a Starks level player (1st rounder).

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, you got your answer but not your wish. @E_Roc was right to be antsy. Downs is a buckeye, which isn't surprising. I have never felt he seriously considered UGA. I'm not going to even blame money. I just don't think he wanted to play at Georgia. Maybe it's about his brother, maybe it's the Buford curse, but he had no real interest in Georgia. Doesn't seem like many of the top Alabama players want to play for Georgia. Have we signed any of them -- and no I don't mean the safety who didn't even play last year. I think Bama kids, in their minds, feel like transferring to Georgia is a step down for them. We'll see. Still wish we could sign a TRULY ELITE wide receiver, from either high school or the portal.