Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia silently overcomes challenges Saban-less Alabama fans whining about

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited January 19 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia silently overcomes challenges Saban-less Alabama fans whining about

ATHENS — Kirby Smart isn’t one to comment on other’s business, but the Georgia coach might be thinking “Welcome to my world” right about now.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"showmanship" is that what angered fans Mike? So, cursing out the UGA fans is"showmanship" Interesting.

THe kid only knows one route so we'll see how that plays out at the next level.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't necessarily wish ill will on Burton as I know he will be in the pros but I do hope he sits as a career backup. Yes, making a good living but never amounting to anything at that level. Maybe put him on a kickoff coverage unit for a team that never scores so he gets one play per game. I'm sorry, that kid was an ungrateful so-and-so who showed who he truly was.

And "big bear"? I laugh every time I see what he sold out for.

• Options
    ancelyancely Posts: 80 ✭✭✭ Junior

Neither one will get another Natty

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Getting antsy. Am I wrong or has it been about 48 hours...

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is the word “showmanship” a synonym for “jerk”? Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 19

Apparently Julian Sayin at Bama just announced he’s heading for the portal. Dang, that didn’t last long and he was rated ahead of Raiola. Wow, breaks my heart. What goes around comes around…..just sayin (pun intended). Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 19

Any player who's ego and personal ambition makes him bigger than the team in his mind is not a good fit for UGA. Burton thought he deserved more than he was getting at UGA. In reality he got what he earned. He thought he was better than everyone in the room. He wasn't. That was proven by his production at AL. His subtraction from the locker room was a positive for UGA and allowed other players, better suited to the UGA game, to get their earned rewards.

This is what worries me about the possible addition of Downs. He would command a a big number in NIL, expect to be a starter and brings his own coach with him. His relationship with TRob is already tight. What does that do to the DB room and team first culture at UGA?

He is a really good player. Is he worth it? IDK.

• Options
    paleodawgpaleodawg Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

I feel like Burton and Alexander felt the grass was greener on the other side of the fence, and forgot to realize, that grass is actually greener where you water and tend it.

That being said, if a player insists on finding the "I" in TEAM, then they aren't UGA material, and should be reminded, "the only I in team is located in the A-holes".

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good points but obviously Kirby still wants him. Once again though we are offering substantially less than what Texas is offering and probably less than OSU as well. So we may not get him after all. I guess we are about to find out how much working with the same coach and comfortableness (yes I made that up) matter. Let's say you get a 2.5 million dollar offer from Texas, 1.5 million from OSU and only 1 million from Georgia. You have prior relationships with OSU and Georgia and your 'coach' who recruited you and who you have been working with are at Georgia. Even your roommate is now at Georgia.

2 years, where do you want to go. If it's just money then he ends up at Texas.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Have the Tide fans already forgotten how a Georgia-recruited, Georgia-developed and former Georgia-championship player made a clutch third-down tackle and recovered a fumble at the UGA 10 that led to a difference-making field goal?"

Alabama is 44th in the nation for public education. They're lucky they remember how to tie their shoes.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 19

It seems everything about this recruitment has been anti-UGA (out of character) since day 1. The Downs were not happy w/UGA for not recruiting Josh Downs. So much so that OSU finished 2nd to AL. BTW all over the OSU message boards that OSU coaches flew into Lawrenceville yesterday. They are coming hard for Downs. On a good note it was 27 degrees in Columbus and 50 degrees in Athens yesterday. Been to Columbus OH many times. Nice place but still 7 months of cold weather.

It will be very revealing who Downs goes with. You bring up good points but in the end money trumps everything. Your next play could be your last play. The Downs seem to want to maximize their earning potential for the 2 years that Caleb has to be in school before he goes NFL. I would not be shocked for him to select UGA but I will be surprised if he does. IF the difference is 2.5 M vs 1M he won't be at UGA.

Saw something interesting on Finebaum this week while he talked about mass exodus from AL. He reported that players get paid to select a school out of HS. BUT the real money is for proven players when they hit the portal after year 1 or 2. Expect to see more players hitting the TP (cashing in) after having good years at the CFB level.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Is there not a cap on what a player can make in NIL? And if so, what is it? Anyone know?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Quoting your last comments:

“This is what worries me about the possible addition of Downs. He would command a a big number in NIL, expect to be a starter and brings his own coach with him. His relationship with TRob is already tight. What does that do to the DB room and team first culture at UGA?

He is a really good player. Is he worth it? IDK.”

Agree. These are very valid concerns that you have voiced here. Team chemistry is vital to success. This is a very slippery path for Kirby as Yes absolutely the other players in that room could feel snubbed. If any HC can handle these type things I’d think it’d be Kirby. But it Is a concerning issue.

Downs played as a Freshman. Is it possible we already have a potential Downs like player or even Two already in the room they just haven’t played SEC games yet to be able to show that ?

I hope Kirby can manage that scenario if it happens. Kirby is known for his being Right At You honest. I hope he tells Downs Look we Really like what we see in you, but your Still gonna have to compete against the other guys in the room for a starting position. If that runs him off so be it.

If it looks like he’s gonna be on board, Kirby should Tell the other players competition is open, All positions are up for grabs, No One at THIS point is guaranteed a starting position. As we’ve always done That will be decided shortly before the season starts. If Downs or any other player is Dawgs type character they should accept that and roll their sleeves up and Compete. If not the TP might be the place for them.

It All should hinge on honesty. If Downs is as good as advertised he should be able to win internal competition. And If he does that other players should work harder to be Like him, not run away from the competition through the TP.

• Options

I’m not sure about my reply, but apparently at current time there is no cap. That’s why so many fans are frustrated with the NCAA. And all the various HCs I’m confident are far more frustrated with it.

The NCAA needs to get up off their duffs and Set a cap along with rules, regulations, and directives to give NIL a reasonable structure to be followed across All of CFB. And though there are Some rules and guidelines for the TP those need to be smoothed out as well.

These things won’t fix themselves, the NCAA has a responsibility to set reasonable rules and guidelines and the sooner the better. I wouldn’t advise holding our collective breath though, the NCAA is notoriously slow on matters like these.

• Options

@MikeGriffith Thirty years covering college football, 27 covering the SEC. That’s very impressive Mike !! Thank You for the great articles you provide us. I might not agree with every single thing you say though I do agree the vast majority of time. But you do a great job and I’m thankful. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If NIL money is the deciding factor in Downs' recruitment then he and we are better off with him going elsewhere. I've said it before and I'll say it again, NIL and the portal will be the downfall of college sports. Football fans left the NFL in droves and many I talk to are already getting fed up with college football because of the ship jumpers. Many of these players couldn't get a 6 figure salary anywhere outside football because they don't ever finish their degree programs and some that do have worthless degrees.

Football supports the other sports at most colleges and if football dies so do the other sports. The NCAA seems hellbent on destroying college athletics just like the Democrats are doing to the country.

• Options

Bravo !! Bravo !! Comment of the day in my book !! Well said !!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Expecting a healthy NIL deal and to be a starter is the norm now for players of Downs' caliber, and most likely applies to the majority of the players that Smart has been recruiting and will be recruiting going forward. And your assertion that Downs' priority is banking as much as possible goes against all the professional assessments of his recruitment that I've personally seen; most are quick to point out that he took very readily to the "Saban discount." There has also been a lot of commentary about his character and work ethic. All this to say, merely having a high profile doesn't make a player the kind of diva that Burton and Alexander turned out to be.

Will he actually come to Georgia? Is there a legitimate grudge in effect over the recruitment of his brother? I don't know. But by all accounts (again, that I've personally seen) Downs is exactly the kind of player you want in your locker room.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You win the Internets today for the pun, Bubba! On the other hand, Sayin has probably heard be sayin' that all his life.