Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Caleb Downs commits to Ohio State

SystemSystem Posts: 10,458 admin
edited January 19 in Article commenting
imageCaleb Downs commits to Ohio State

Georgia has once again spurned the Georgia Bulldogs, as the safety committed to Ohio State.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At least he didn't go to Texas or stay with Bama. Don't fret boys, many options for the Dawgs at safety. Perhaps Kirby will have KJ as ready as Downs was at Bama as a freshman.

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 19

Spurned? Come on Conner, we don’t even know if UGA and Downs even talked about him coming to Athens.

• Options
    MacroDawgMacroDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

Caleb’s dad does not like UGA I heard. Not sure why.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is 100% bad blood/sour grapes about UGA not recruiting Josh (older brother who went to UNC). You can look at the pics after the SECCG, as well as a couple of recruiting visit clips of C. Downs, J. Haynes and CKS. Just look at the body language and you’ll understand.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pretty surprising. Oh well. Still a plus that he left Bama.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Arguably the best raw defensive football player in the nation last year......opting for a team that will lose their coaching staff next year if they lose again....at home to Big Blue....all I can figure is a lack of maturity, money, and/or a disdain for hard work and competition required at Georgia to be better working on becoming Elite......I was told he feels like he is as good as needed???? I happy for the young man, just as I was when Bear left and I appreciate the back handed endorsement of the DGD's we currently have!

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 122 ✭✭✭ Junior

I dislike Ohio State as much as the next guy, but they have, in fact, had more first round DB draft picks than any other school since 2000. Number 2 is Alabama.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He stated after choosing Bama that his second choice was Ohio st. Julian Sayin is transferring to Ohio st.

• Options
    Roman13Roman13 Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Sounds like our new co-defensive coordinator didn’t have th pull everyone thought.

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

He joins our buddy Justin Fields and now also Quinshon Justin’s as some of the biggest cowards in NCAA history. Why play a tough physical schedule when you could join other 5 stars and romp Rutgers, Illinois, Indiana etc

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

You win a few and you loose a few. Maybe he would have been the cat's meow but I ain't shedding tears over a dude that didn't want to be a DGD the first or second time.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am not at all surprised. I didn't think this kid really wanted UGA during his initial recruitment and I don't think anything really changed. The media just ASSUMED that Georgia was in the driver's seat for his services, but I never got that vibe. And I don't care that KJ Bolden signed with us, I STILL BELIEVE there is something funky about Buford and UGA. I just think Bolden is the exception to the rule, but those kids just have a thing about signing with Georgia. Isaiah Bond hits the portal and within hours, he's signed with Texas. Anywho, though, Downs played for Bama last year they still lost to Michigan. So, he could soon be 0-2 against the maize and blue. But I am wondering did we really need Travaris Robinson. unless it was just to make Alabama weaker. Four of Bama's five starting DB's hit the portal after Saban retired and not one of those four even sniffed Georgia, even though three of the four signed with other SEC teams. The kid we did sign from there entered the portal BEFORE Saban retired, and he didn't even play last year. Let's see what happens after the Spring.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 19

The Dawgs didn't need him to the point of losing somebody else. I think they're set, with what they have.

Unfortunately for Downs....Kirby probably just didn't have room for him to shine at UGA....with the like of KJ Bolden and Ellis Robinson coming in. Along with the guys returning from the last 2 signing classes.

It would've been fun to watch him play in Athens. But, wait'll you get a load of the current group taking the field, in September. They'll make you forget there ever was a Caleb Downs.

Just like, Bennett made people forget there was a Caleb Williams. And, Branson Robinson will make people forget there was a Justice Haynes. Lol

Bottom Line......I don't think, it's the kids "deciding not to come to UGA". It's more like....UGA can't sign "all the kids" that deserve to be Bulldogs. They're having to cull em a little different than they used to. "Need"...and, "Eligibility Remaining", has to be 2 of the overriding metrics, at this stage of Kirby's Program.

Obviously, Kirby has massive confidence in KJ Bolden and Maliki Starks along with the current 2/3-deep options at Safety. Maybe, we should, too.

Downs was never going to accept half-a-loaf....and, that's all Kirby could offer him. My guess is....Kirby never actively recruited him out of the portal. THAT, was Ryan Daye and OSU. Wonder if they did it legally?. Lol

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And, yet....won Nothing!. Please...go to OSU and play down, to their standard. Lol

• Options
    PlateauDawgPlateauDawg Posts: 41 ✭✭ Sophomore

His dad is a bitter guy & he was never going to let Caleb come to UGA. I don't think he really ever considered UGA out of hs. That's ok...it's not for everyone. Hope he retains 100% of what Saban taught him bc he won't be coached up at Ohio St.