Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What comes next for Georgia football after Caleb Downs picks Ohio State

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited January 20 in Article commenting
imageWhat comes next for Georgia football after Caleb Downs picks Ohio State

ATHENS — Turns out there are still surprises in recruiting, even in the transfer portal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

Money involved sure. But I think it also must have something to do with recruiting strategy. I don't know if you want to be seen as blatantly recruiting over other players at a position where you've already got REALLY strong players - Bolden, Jacorey Thomas, Joenel Aguero and Kyron Jones. Probably not a good look for UGA in instances like this. Downs would've been a luxury.

• Options
    edubbedubb Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was not the least bit surprised. Ohio State needed a safety and spent more money. Plus he was guaranteed to start.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

Don’t know why this is a shocker. It’s obvious UGA wasn’t a fit for him.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This doesn't seem shocking or surprising to me.

We'll be fine without him, but he would have been a good addition.

Good luck to him at THE. Of course, that doesn't extend to games against the Dawgs. Nor does it extend to games against teams I hate less than Ohio State. Given that, he should have a very unlucky career.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    SharpdawgSharpdawg Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

These insiders who had Downs as a “lock” for us obviously didn’t know that all of this was in response to UGA not recruiting his brother Josh when he was at North Gwinnett. There’s no other way to explain it, plain and simple. Dad talks about development, scheme, Xs and Os…who outside of Saban himself meets that criteria? Only Kirby. We’re going to be just fine. Go Dawgs!!!!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sharpdawg, If indeed this was his rationale, my suspicion of his immaturity is spot on.....I'm sure he was rewarded via NIL too.....I was never a Big Blue fan like my wife & in-laws, all Grads, but for sure I'm pullin for a Big Blue beat down in The Shoe Nov 30 & a salute farewell to Cryin Day......then I'll wonder.....Will the Dawgs turn him down when he attempts to come home?????

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I must have been out to lunch on this one. Actually, did not occur to me UGA would land Downs. I read some of the hoopla surrounding this football paragon, but it seemed OSU was his new home all along. OSU makes promises and has the war chest. I had moved on...truth.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 20

Money was in the end the handle that was pulled via the dudes momma...Had nothing to do with development and winning championships and if that was the case the dudes old lady would've put her little baby in Kirby's hands...facts! Dudes name will be forgotten by most in the next week and let him freeze in the cold frozen tundra of the Midwest...Good grief, who in the right minds would go to school outside the South with great weather, great schools and pretty ladies...oh that's right a guy named Downs...LOL

For the record: I despise OZero bucknutt State and want then to loose every game and have my whole entire life... Worst fan base in the world, ugliest campus and in a dump of a city called Dumbus Ohio... and yes that is how I really feel.

Go Dawgs...class of 92

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't want to hear about this loser anymore on this site. Georgia was the standard before Saban retired and since his retirement there isn't a program even close the Georgia's. Don't even say the word Day with Kirby's, as he is the whiniest coach I have ever seen. I finally do not wish Downs harm, but I sure as hell don't wish him well.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like I said in another article, the Ohio State Collective sealed this deal.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

possibly, but thinking the amount of playing time at UGA may have been less vs OSU and Bama. I haven't looked to see what those two teams have returning, but guessing UGA returns more talent. Then you have the NIL money, guessing that OSU offered more.

I am certainly good with the decision, thought it could have possibly been a risky move any way (team chemistry).

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 20

What comes next? Maintaining the winning culture at UGA, and producing on the field. Something they've done very well the past 3 years, and will continue to do so in the future. And they've had all of their success without Caleb Downs on the roster, DAWGS will be just fine without him..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the part of college football that I don’t like at all and will be the downfall of the sport.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From what has been said, Downs never even made it public he had entered the portal. DIdn't sound like he wanted any fanfare. Until I read some direct quotes from someone where he said he was coming to UGA, then the talking heads just whiffed! Hey, it happens.