Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Caleb Downs commits to Ohio State

13»

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Guys, believe me, the Ohio State Collective got involved on this deal quickly. NIL dollars usually rule the roost with these big time stars.

While we lost this battle, we definitely have a much better roster overall than the Buckeyes.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DAWGS have a very talented DB room already..so no big loss to me, since he doesn't truly want to be a Bulldog anyway. Best of luck at Ohio st..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    DefinsDefins Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

Enjoy the cold.

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Re: Caleb Downs

I was already noting the silence in the press and thought that was foreboding. He sounded like a great get. But, you can't win 'em all. You win some, lose some and some......................get rained out.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawg61

If you thought Kirby was right about about Will Anderson please stop embarrassing yourself by posting comments. Kirby even admitted as much

Also Mrs.Bennett, Stetson never made me forget about Caleb Williams. Just because we won with him (personal problems and all) doesn't mean it wouldn't have been easier to win without him

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mama and daddy wanted big bucks, probably millions. We said, "No." and Caleb wanted 388 snaps, minimum, and Kirby said, "No."

Two strikes and we're out.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Interesting that we're still odds on favorite to win the natty. He is good but not that good.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 20

Honest question, and no disrespect intended. Are safeties as important as coverage cornerbacks? I always viewed safeties as last line of defense, a bit too big or a drop slow to be a front line CB. That’s why CB’s are usually drafted much higher than safeties. I just don’t see Downs committing to OSU as really moving the needle. Great player, but not the most important position.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't put words in my mouth Ugadad/cclayc88.

I didn't say 'it wasn't a mistake'. I said...."He passed on him.".

Meaning....it wouldn't surprise me, in the least, that he passed on Downs...if not the 1st time...then the 2nd.

Everybody assumes that Kirby's recruiting board matches the ESPN100. I assure you, it doesn't. He has to evaluate a lot of variables to match need to availability....I.E., character, reliability, team "fit", chemistry with coaches [has to be teachable], yada, yada.

All i'm saying, is...."Talent", doesn't always hold the Trump card. Everybody, at that level, is athletic and, talented...some, a little more than others. Sometimes "need" and "fit" outweigh, seizing on opportunities to increase quality depth through the TP.

Like you say....Kirby said 'he made a mistake not recruiting Will Anderson'. But, it wasn't a huge mistake....and, Kirby wouldn't say that, even if that's how he felt. He wasn't going to disrespect Anderson...[a fellow Georgian]...by telling the press and fans....why he didn't recruit Anderson.

I think he was pretty happy with the guys he DID recruit...don't you? Just like, he's happy with the team he put together for next year. We have no way of knowing, how adding a high dollar [NIL] Prima Donna to the mix....might've effected "team chemistry".

IMO.....In this day and age....there's such a thing as being "top heavy" with talent. You start bringing in experienced guys off the portal, like that and you risk running off your younger talent....cause they don't see daylight anymore. If I'm Kirby....it ain't worth it. Not this time.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMO....Safety is an extremely important position in Bama and UGA's defensive style. Not so much, at OSU or BIG10 defenses in general.

I DO think, that Downs will get a lot more interception opportunities in the BIG10 than he would've in the SEC. They're a "pass first"..."no defense", league. Lol

IMO....It was actually, a pretty good business and football decision....for him to make that move from the SEC to BIG10. I can understand "that"....seein' as how, his Coach and teammates were bailing on him at Bama.