Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BREAKING: 4-star junior DB Tae Harris backs off his commitment to Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,460 admin
edited January 21 in Article commenting
imageBREAKING: 4-star junior DB Tae Harris backs off his commitment to Georgia football

This Sentell’s Intel rep has the latest with 4-star DB Tae Harris at Cedartown High School in Northwest Georgia. He ranks as the nation’s No. 27 CB and the No. 221 overall prospect for 2024 on the 247Sports Composite ratings. The On3 Industry Ranking has him as the nation’s No. 27 CB and the No. 231 overall recruit.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 21

Brings back a painful memory from winter quarter 74......I was going with a very sweet local girl. On the first day of a Bio lab, my lab partner was Farrah Fawcett, well maybe not but she was a dead ringer.....needless to say I "de committed" by avoiding "sugar britches" and focused on Farrah. When I look at the "Farrah's" Tae is entertaining that ole painful memory/lesson comes back in "Technicolor".......when you've reached the top of the mountain, STOP climbing.....be happy and enjoy the view....for me I didn't and I fell, crashed and burned.....here's wishing Tae the best and maybe he'll refocus and climb back to the top and sign back to become a Dawg??

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sadly, this is the present state of football, as I see it. The employees are running the show, while leaving their employees (universities) and bosses (coaches) with little recourse should they coach as needed, and somehow hurt the feelings of vulnerable KIDS who have yet to grow up. We do not give them alcohol at such an age due to their inability to make wise choices, yet we make a precious few millionaires, which causes discord in locker rooms across America. No longer is it about causes like team comradery and commitment (two awesome traits to possess), rather it is, "Show me the money, alone!", which is NEVER a good case in any cause - when all other things take a back seat. Unless things change, those like me will walk away from a product we've loved that's being produced by an institution we love (I am a UGA alumnus).

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

I feel bad for this guy. I get the feeling he wanted to play for the dawgs but with all the elite talent, he saw the writing on the wall. I wish him well and hopes he gets to start for another team - one not playing Georgia. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck in your future young man..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

Long time until signing day and there are a lot of recruits out there.

• Options
    GawgiaboyGawgiaboy Posts: 16 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'm going to tune back on signing day. These kids change their minds daily.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Every young athlete feeling like they are a priority for team sports must change their mindset. Every player a school recruit is a priority and not just one player. This all about me complex and NIL is changing college football for the worse along with the free market transfer portal. Right now all this is manageable to change, but if the change does not happen soon...College football will not be the most loved sport in the future. Look at how the two signing periods have changed the excitement of recruiting. It is not as big of a deal now.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Young players are learning that you don't commit early. Your commitment is the only real leverage you have to work your NIL deal. The longer you stay uncommitted the longer you can work the NIL deal.

Again, I see UGA generally changing its recruiting strategy. Focus more on up and coming (less highly rated) players that want UGA coaching and development. Focus less on players that prioritize NIL and players that play one offer off another. Hopefully this method of recruiting will allow UGA to sustain the level of excellence and standard attained under CKS.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"seeing my talent"...

I know many are thinking that every decommit or transfer out is a loss, but could it be in cases like this there's a reason that they chose to make the move and it IS consistent with what CKS and the Dawgs actually want?

I believe there are currently more players than available scholarships. Given UGA apparently reduced their focus on him and he seems to be a bit me-centric (I may be over-emphasizing there from his statement), isn't it possible UGA is giving him "soft guidance" to look elsewhere?

I'm sure we'll never know for sure (which is actually a good thing), but I don't get too worked up about many of these given what seems like massive success to-date on the inbound for the Dawgs...

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like he didn’t like Kirby’s comments to recruits recently that if you don’t want to work, don’t come to Georgia.

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doubtful. Kirby has been making that comment for a long time, not just recently. It's not news and they don't hide it from any recruits. No reason we shouldn't believe this young man when he say the coaching staff failed to make him feel like a priority. Sometimes it's just that simple.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The player didn't feel like the coaches really wanted him to come to Georgia, so he's looking elsewhere. Makes sense to me. Who would go live and work somewhere where they don't think they're really wanted, when they can just as easily go somewhere else? Say what you want about the current state of the sport, but this doesn't seem to have anything to do with any of that. Also, I don't see what keeping alcohol out of the hands of people whose brains are still developing relatively rapidly has to do with anything.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm wondering how much Fran Brown's departure affected Harris' decision. As someone noted, it may have dawned on him how far down the depth chart he could be at UGA. At the same time, if Brown was lead on his recruitment, the DB coaching changes couldn't have helped.

Ah well, I was getting confused by all the Harris'' in the DB anyway. The silver lining of losing AJ Harris and Tae Harris (if he doesn't recommit) is that we'll have only one DB named Harris next year.🤣

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe he should really skip university and go pro. There are a number of professional football players who have done that. However, if he is really intending to go to university to get an education and degree, he should take his time and figure that out. Then announce where he plans to attend school if that is the case. Spare us the theatrics of committing and decommitting. Take your time.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kudzu....IMO....that's exactly the case. With the way things are now....you can't count on a recruit, till he's signed...competes in Spring and/or Fall Practice and takes the field for game 1. Even then....???

Rosters and Coaching Staffs are in a constant state of Flux. It's not as bad for the Dawgs as it is for the majority of teams...[thank God]. Can you imagine UGA trying to navigate the TP/NIL Topography we see today....back during their "down years" with Goff? Or, anytime before Smart took over in Athens, for that matter.

We're extremely lucky, to have the Coaching Staff and Logistical Support, we've had....since the 2020 Transformation of CFB. Kirby has UGA positioned perfectly to take advantage of the current CFB Landscape without sacrificing the "culture" he's been nurturing since his arrival.

As far as the "decommittment" of Harris [etal]....Sounds to me, like UGA decommitted from him, after the new DC hire. It happens. Maybe T-Rob has something else in mind. We'll just have to wait and see. Afterall....it was Muschamp that recruited him.

I have a feeling...we're gonna see some schematic and philosophical changes on the Dawgs defense, this year. I believe they are going to start "attacking the ball" more. I'm not sure what "the plan" is....but, it obviously didn't include Harris or the guy that went from Bama to OSU [don't remember his name].

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Take your time."....And choose wisely.

Lol....I absolutely agree with that, Doggone. But, you know how young people love their drama and head-games. It's part of "The Show", now. I'm starting to hate this "New CFB".

IMO....It's just a matter of time, before they start watering down the game, like they did in the NFL.....To protect their millionaires....er, players, from injury. Hoss's gotta produce to earn their feed, dontcha know.

This ain't football anymore. It's starting to look like Basketball & Soccer had a baby....and the NFL adopted it......"It's a Girl"!....Lol.

Where did rugby go? Maybe I'll start watching that. Lol