Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Column: Georgia built on class, Dooley Code applies during college football’s trying transition

SystemSystem Posts: 10,451 admin
edited January 22 in Article commenting
imageColumn: Georgia built on class, Dooley Code applies during college football’s trying transition

ATHENS — Georgia football fans are following this offseason intently, their program at its zenith under ninth-year coach Kirby Smart.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Downs might have been a nice get, but not necessary with the talent already on the roster.

As to Bama and roster raiding, they didn’t just hit Georgia in recent years… Tech’s best player comes to mind, among numerous others… let’s call it karma? 🤣

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's a business. It's a game. It's a religion.

Nice article, Mike.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 22

You are absolutely correct Mike, the legacy Coach Dooley brought to eminence at The University of Georgia was CLASS as well as Power. As a graduate of The University and progeny of The Classic City, it is this legacy that I am most proud! As an adopted Texan now living in Arizona, I gladly wear my Red & Black....I realize some were disappointed at the Downs decision, can't say I witnessed any "****"....just wonderment at the possible rationale at what appeared to be an obvious transition......all sorts of speculation, as for me, I just figured the young man is very emotionally attuned to color.....he was all about The Crimson and White so the move to The Scarlet and Gray was so less stressful than the good ole RED & BLACK....BTW, there are no more POWERFUL colors in the spectrum than RED & BLACK......GOOO DAWGS, SICEM....WOOF, WOOF, WOOF!

• Options
    David_HogeDavid_Hoge Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Great article, Mike! As long as UGA has Kirby Smart, they will recruit and compete at an elite level, winning some championships along the way. I'm guessing that Kirby wants players who WANT to be at UGA. Best wishes to Caleb (except when he plays against the Dawgs, of course).

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just to clarify, Dawgnation was as guilty as any regarding reporting that CD is a done deal and on the way to Athens.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 22

Concise article Mike good writing, thank you. ["But when Downs or any player chooses whatever school for whatever reason, neither he nor his family motives should have to come under scrutiny and attack on social media channels."] ["There are few things more cowardly and less credible than anonymous attacks, and those taking part should think twice before hitting the “send” button."] I think that people should place themselves in their shoes and examine their own motives in making the same life choices. 😎

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When the Braves won the World Series, it really didn’t matter who the players were in the uniforms. Atlanta won the World Series!

Should the Falcons win a Super Bowl, the names on the back of the uniforms won’t matter. Atlanta won a Super Bowl.

That’s just the way it is in professional sports with contracts and player movement from year to year. College football is on the fast track to where soon we will simply be cheering for the brand regardless of who is in the uniform. For the casual fans, they are already there!

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you for the perspective, Mike. It's easy for us all to either overlook or disregard the fact that Saban's retirement really pulled the rug out from under the players, who were most likely very happy at Bama and finding success in their progression through the program, given they stuck around through the portal period. I imagine that, after getting through the grueling process of choosing their first college and doing the work to carve out their own spots over the tough season(s), having to suddenly reevaluate their futures due to external circumstances came as a body blow for some, if not all, of them. Talk about moving someone's cheese, huh?

You were spot on with the point about the imputation of bad motives to the players and families by disappointed fans. My love for UGA sometimes has me getting too wrapped up in the hype at various times and perhaps lashing out without all the facts. UGA already had an embarrassment of riches so far in 2024 and the Downs opportunity would have been sprinkles on top of the cherry on top of the whipped cream on top of the icing on the cake for the Dawgs, certainly not a necessary ingredient. You can't lose something you never possessed, so there is really no reason for any negativity around any of these Bama guys choosing somewhere else. Kirby & Co. aced the test, and everyone was happy, then some unexpected extra credit points were put up for grabs and folks started getting upset that they didn't capture them all; a bit irrational, huh?

There are manifold things to excite us all for 2024 and undoubtedly more to come in Spring, so let's raise our collective voice and shout GO DAWGS! SIC 'EM!

• Options
    ramborambo Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

One of your best articles and applicable to to fans of EVERY major college football program. That's not a excuse for UGA fans but an admonition to all fans that we should keep the choices of teenagers and 20-somethings in greater perspective and show some class.

By the way, Jermaine Burton's college stats below. This is not an indictment of is character, just an honest question-did he really benefit greatly from his transfer? Would his statistics have been comparable for '22 and '23 if he had remained at UGA and stayed healthy?

2020 UGA 27 recep 404 yds 3 TD (substantially shortened season)

2021 UGA 26 recep 497 yds 5 TD (battled injuries much of the season)

2022 Bama 40 recep 677 yds 7 TD

2023 Bama 39 recp 798 yds 8 TD

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I would think that he could, but I believe the writing was on the wall with how he's acted towards uga fans since he left. Kirby wants team 1st players. And Burton is not that. But some guys have that issue AFTER starting to play at UGA. And he was definitely one of them.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

I never thought Downs would come here and don't know why so many did. If you look at the position Downs plays, we already have high performing players. He wasn't guaranteed to start here while he probably is at Ohio.

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm a Georgia kid and grew up idolizing the Bulldogs. To this day at age 57 I can't honestly understand why any Georgia kid would want to go somewhere else. But, I respect the fact that there are Georgia kids who choose to go elsewhere. No need to get **** and disrespectful towards those that do.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

By leaving UGA, Burton certainly missed out on a 2nd NC and quite possibly a third had he stayed. We will never know how things might have turned out for him, but he did himself no favors in the public eye with his behavior after leaving.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith , it's funny you mentioned "Good Will Hunting." When I first learned the dudes were getting paid to visit, I thought about that job interview scene. He sent one of his friends and told them to keep asking the Japanese guys for a hundred dollars.