Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 10,451 admin
edited January 22 in Article commenting
Undefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Every championship team needs some luck along the way. Particularly these days... God Bless The Dawgs!

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Two words-Ryan Day-Enough said. Don't ever try and equate Day with Kirby.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 22

Not sure what this was about. You all filling up space? Typing practice?

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn’t trade UGA’s players and coaches for Ohio State’s. I would trade Georgia’s schedule for the Buckeyes’! Penn State is the new Notre Dame…the most overrated team in college football on a year-to-year basis. I would trade going to Penn State and Oregon over trips to Bama and Texas in a heartbeat!

I’m not sure finishing third in the SEC wouldn’t be better than being in the top two. Playing a home game against a pushover will likely be better than being in a war in the SECCG and getting an off week. Case in point: Bama went to war against the Dawgs while Michigan barely had a skirmish against a less than mediocre Iowa team. Which team looked fresher?

• Options
    DH82DH82 Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

I guess there’s not much to write about when you start writing about two teams that may not even play each other. Sounds like an advertisement for 2024 college football. I’m sure USC and Michigan among others are “gearing up for new eras” too.

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 22

Two different routes for these kids. One is an iron on iron daily training for the SEC gauntlet, and the other (even with the Pac12 additions) is a cotton candy eating skip along the turf. We know which kids are courageous and which want to get drafted and cash a check. I hope coaches start “negative recruiting” against OSU about how few nattys they have despite recruiting like this far longer than Bama and UGA have.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We've got the tougher schedule, but Ohio State is starting over at QB. I'd much rather be in the Dawg's position.

Even with one or possibly 2 losses, I expect the Dawgs to make the playoffs. Being the winner of the SEC Championship game is key as the winner gets a BYE in the first round of playoffs - which will be HUGE.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The two princes? Come on, OSU has only been a pretender to the crown…

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I keep seeing this point about getting a week off instead of playing the conference title game. I don't buy it. If a month off in the middle of the season isn't enough time to get ready for your next game, you're never going to be.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ShoottheHooch makes a good point. Excluding for the moment the 5th (left out of bye or #5 ranked team?) conference champion (BIG 2?). The way the rules are today if you play for one of the 4 (of the 5) conference championship winners you get ranked 1-4 and have a bye before the 1st game.

It is complicated by a few factors. 1) Will conference losers (automatically?) make the final 12? TBD. 2) Will the conference game losers automatically get ranked 6 -10? IDK.

BUT every team (5-12) will play the following week. Because of the increased number of playoff teams/games there will be no breaks/byes following the last regular season game except for the 4 conference (ranked 1-4) winners (byes) and the 2(?) ranked teams that don't play in their conference championship.

That gives those 2(?) teams a week off before their 1st playoff game. A week off that their opponent won't have. That will be an advantage. That assumes that no conference championship game losers are replaced in the final 12 field by other teams that didn't play in a conference championship game.

HOWEVER, those 2(?) teams may be , by default, ranked 11 and 12 and be forced to win on the road before playing the #1 and #2 teams in PO week 2. The rules seem a little vague right now. Are all the teams reranked after the conference championship games? I think so otherwise Notre Dame would always be ranked 11th or 12th (when they make the playoffs) . That could benefit a team that doesn't play in their conference championship game. Theoretically that team could be ranked #5( or #6?), have a home game and not play #1 until the CFB semi's.

Granted that is a lot of variables and unknowns but still a week off is a week off. Might mean the difference between a QB1 playing or a QB2 playing.

All very convoluted and we can all expect controversy from the committee's choices to continue. Imagine the squabbling if the playoff number were (rightfully) 8? There would be 3 teams to select out of the 5 conference game losers and the rest of the best teams (ND?) that didn't play in a conference championship game.

I didn't get your "month off in the middle of the season" reference unless you were referring to BB. Of note: In the '24 regular season all SEC teams get 2 bye weeks.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 22

People have said it's an advantage not to have played in a conference title game before the playoff because you get an extra week off, and the post I was responding to essentially made that point, or at least came very close to it. My point is that teams that have played in conference title games still get a month off before the playoff starts. In a sport that is typically played week to week, where having one extra week (a bye) is universally acknowledged as a valuable and beneficial thing, I find it hard to accept the idea that being given a month off would ever be insufficient to prepare for a playoff run, no matter who your last opponent was.