Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia players cash-in with football character, NFL coaches note Bulldogs’ opt-in mentality

SystemSystem Posts: 10,491 admin
edited January 29 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia players cash-in with football character, NFL coaches note Bulldogs’ opt-in mentality

PENSACOLA, Fla. — Georgia players have yet to take a snap in Senior Bowl workouts, but their Orange Bowl statement win has already put them a step ahead of those who opted-out of bowl games.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 830 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 29

Kirby, the Georgia football staff, and we fans certainly appreciate that character because it produces superior results (to just ability or skill attributes alone). Businesses look for that distinctive characteristic, too, calling it an "ownership mindset". Makes all the difference when you can recruit people who have that desire to be part of something bigger than themselves. So I'd think that kind of history/reputation will bode well for them not just in the League, but beyond the playing days. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 29

Lol...."Seven figures", is no longer "life changing money". My, how times have changed. You should be able to turn 7 figures into 8 or 9....if you got your education while you were in College. I really don't get that you have to have 7 or 8 zeros behind a number, in order for it to "change your life". But....to each his own.

If playing in a Bowl, when you don't have to, is a "plus"....then, sitting the Bowl out, is a "minus"....any way you slice it. That's the same thing as "holding it against" the player that "sits out". Geometric logic dictates this...IMO.

As many have said, in the past....including Kirby, himself....UGA's different and it's not for everyone. I think people are starting to get the message....including NFL scouts, coaches and GM's. Lol....so much for John Harbaugh's assertion, that "Michigan is the closest CFB program to NFL standards".

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Used to be if you had a million dollars in assets you where rich and set for life. Well I do and I'm not.

What they pay people to play most professional sports nowadays is ridiculous and just one of many reasons I no longer watch the NFL and MLB. I've never watched basketball except for the Harlem Globetrotters back when I was a kid.

UGA sends a lot of players to the NFL due to the culture that Kirby Smart has created and that will probably be the case until he retires.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everything is relative. 6 figures is life changing to the majority.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everybody has a money problem. Not enough or what do I do with it and hang onto it.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 30

Well said, CHD. Kirby IS the straw that stirs the drink. He did it at UGA, in the '90's....He did it again at Bama, for Saban, in the '10's....Then he went mainstream, again at UGA....until....who knows.....But, I'm gonna enjoy "The Kirby Standard", while it's in Athens. Lol....welcome home, Kirby Smart!, is all I can say.

Fyi....I was in a fin/ins profession, back in the '80's. I had to take a class in programming insurance....among other things. The median lifetime income for an avg family, was about $750k. Today....it's probably about 3 times that [a guess...maybe, 4x or 5x]. Or, around $2.5 million in a lifetime. That's still a lot of money...ain't it? Lol

Ain't that the truth?! Lol