Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirk Herbstreit allegedly encouraged Dylan Raiola to flip to Nebraska

Comments

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wonder if Herbstreit would have done the same if he was committed to OSU…

Oh well, thinks the dawgs are better off in the long run with his history of transferring and broken commitments.

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed although college football is a bit of a fraternity and I have no doubt that these kind of calls happen and will continue to. However, when you are the #1 most recognizable name in college football broadcasting and the face of college football for ESPN, then you have to hold yourself to a higher standard and refrain from even casually encouraging one of the top recruits in the country.

And for Raiola's dad, sheesh, loose lips sink ships. Gossiping like it was no big deal.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 7

I think you could say that, about ESPN....America's "CFB Overlord" and "Fandom Megaphone". They are NOT impartial observers and have been Socially Engineering DIV1 CFB behind the scenes, for decades.

This past year's "CFP results", convinced me that there exists a "deep state" [if you will...Lol], in CFB....perpetrated by people in trusted positions. ESPN and other's, that are being "paid to be unbiased"....have been influencing decisions that effect UGA [etal] from behind the scenes, using insider info.

Sometimes ESPN's spin and influence campaigns, work for UGA....most times, it doesn't. ESPN's "power & influence" somewhat muted by the "expanded playoff". They need to be neutralized, while the opportunity is there.

It's high-time ESPN went back to "reporting the news"....and, stopped trying to "make the news", in their own image. There is only one God, and He lives in Georgia. He's not happy with what he's seeing and hearing. Lol

Herbstreit HAD to have questioned his own integrity, before calling Raiola. He had to have known, it wasn't "ethical" to influence a story he and his employer "report on", using info he received as part of his job. He was WRONG...and, he & ESPN know it. Lol...Watch em back-peddle, now.

Go Dawgs. Beat EVERYBODY....and make ESPN's words, "irrelevant".

• Options

You are 100% right. Herbstreit and ESPN pulled the same "spin crap", on UGA, in 2007....and, 2018.

Notice that UGA went into the 1st CFP Poll, in each of the last 2 years, as the AP/Coaches Poll #1 Team....yet, the CFPC saw fit to put Tennessee #1 [2021] and Michigan #1 [2022]....based solely on the Spin coming out of a very biased ESPN.

ESPN may have also been responsible for moving the MLB All-Star game, out of Atlanta a couple of years ago....because of a Political issue, they didn't take the time to research or understand [reporting 101]. ESPN in a nutshell....Sloppy, WOKE and irresponsible....also, not on MY TV. Lol

• Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

The real problem here isn’t where DR ended up. It’s that KH - the “voice of ESPN Game Day” - is picking up the phone and telling a recruit to flip their commitment? ****? Conflict of interest? Newsflash: your job is to report the news - not make it. Is there any integrity anymore at ESPN?

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 371 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

To be honest, with the familial ties to Nebraska, it never really made sense that the kid committed to UGA. I wasn’t really surprised and was actually happy he left. I never liked that he dumped multiple high schools on his way to transferring to a powerhouse when he already had the recognition. I felt bad for the kid already at Buford that got hosed by this self-loving piece of work.

That said, herbstreit butting his nose into the process is out of bounds. Yes, I am ultimately happy with the end result and have no “best of luck” feelings for the kid but that influence completely removes any perception of unbiased. Other than a dislike of UGA I cannot see any reason for him even caring.

• Options

There was one less QB at UGA, than there was, when Raiola committed, in the first place. He committed to UGA, while Beck, Vandergriff and Stockton were all expected to return. BVG leaves....and, Dylan flips to Nebraska. I don't think competition had a lot to do with it.

Or....maybe....Smart & Bobo were having "buyers remorse" after watching Raiola play in Georgia for a year. And, there's no-telling what KJ Bolden [HS Teammate] had to say about his leadership, behind closed doors.

Either way....IMO....The Dawgs came out on top, with Puglisi.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Like any other mainstream media reporting, No, the word is not anywhere in their vocabulary.

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

100% the comment re: the kid at Buford who no doubt busted his arse to win QB1 only to sit all year and watch DR play well, but certainly not lights out (as mentioned earlier, DR slipped from #1 to #23 in the class and to #3 QB in the class). If he was a senior, I feel badly for him and his family (who make a big commitment, for years, to their son's program - ditto those varsity cheerleaders, too). Not to pry too much, but does anyone have any info on that? If pre-DR QB1 was well-liked, I have to believe not everyone in the locker room was thrilled with the arrival of Superman.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And then... this news breaks:

I've never been much of a conspiracy theorist... frequently suspicious, but skeptical. After this? Color me a believer! 🤬🤣🥴

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t think anyone has mentioned this, but I’m confident that Herbstreit was pissed-off when Raiola bailed on Ohio State and committed to UGA. There may be a little payback involved in convincing Raiola to dump on UGA. Raiola is an interesting recruit in that he attended 4 high schools in 3 states in 3.5 years and during that time committed to 3 colleges. Bring on Ju Ju and let’s forget all this garbage with Raiola and sign a Georgia QB. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 7

If DR flipped his commitment because of anything Kirk Street Herb said, he's more of a flake than I originally thought...he didn't....this whole kerfuffle is ESPN subterfuge to stir the imagined boiling fan pot among Dawg Nation....it seems to be working, just look at these post and listen to the BS on Finebaum.....here's the real deal concerning DR.....it was pressure from his uncle/family....the family gave in an moved to Buford to placate DR's desire to face stronger competition.....playing for the Wolf's, DR had a "Come to Jesus" revelation...#1 the competition in Georgia/SEC is a hell of a lot tougher than anything he had ever faced and he knew it would only get tougher playing in the SEC, #2 He came to know The PUG and realized it would be no cake walk earning QB1 at Georgia, plus he knew he didn't come close to CB's skill and experience and had questions if he could even beat out Gunner, #3 DR has a boat load of ability and is very comfortable having everything given to him, the realization of what a Georgia practice entails sent shiver down his spine so DR weenied out......THANK THE LORDIE, and gave in to family pressure....Happy Family, Happy legacy, Easy competition, MR will let DR sling the ball around to accumulate stats.....wins, not so much.....He'll still make the NFL.

• Options

"I have to believe not everyone in the locker room was thrilled with the arrival of Superman."______@BigFan

I'd be willing to bet a month's pay,....that, "that was the case".

In my mind....the real question(s) is, "How did Raiola handle it?". Did he "win over" the other QB's support?...AND the locker room...AND all the coaches?. It's really a question of "leadership & character". Was Raiola found "wanting" in that area?....did he "check that box" for Kirby?.

Another question would be.....Did UGA pull back their "offer" to Raiola, due to an "under-the-radar" issue? AND...."That's why", Herbstreit felt free to weigh-in and apparently put a "media thumb" on the scales?.

IMO...You have to have the support of ALL of your teammates, in order to succeed individually and collectively....and, we may never know the answer to any of those questions. Depending on how well, Raiola and Bolden, REALLY got-along.

Lol....this is Georgia...."word" tends to "get around" quick, if it's juicy enough. "It's" how we managed to get-by, before the internet.

• Options

That was a pretty good take. Enjoyed the read and, you're probably..."mostly right". Lol...I see Raiola, as another Justin Fields. A QB with most of the "physical attributes" and wanting in the "mental attributes". Maybe he'll grow up in the next year or two....and, transfer back to UGA. Ya neva' know.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 7

Conspiracy Theory 🤔. The NCAA should look into this and investigate ESPN. Shows like College Football Final, Pat McAfee show, and Mel Kiper were hyping up Alabama, Oregon and certain football teams the entire college football season. UGA wasn't getting this much hype even with a 29 game winning streak. On top of that David Pollock and Maria Taylor, both UGA Alumni, were pushed out. Now they added Nick Saban to college game, who also has an office in the Alabama football stadium. We all know this could have been orchestrated by maybe the head of ESPN. Well there is an old saying that goes " Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear." Really the NCAA don't scare anybody no more so this might go on for a while. By the way I forgot to add that I won't be surprised to see Mickey on game day one Saturday.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here we go again giving another recruit that snubbed UGA press. KH was probably mad that OSU lost out on him and didn't want to see UGA keep him. The kids was a flake for all the moving around he's done in life. I would bet he won't stay at Nebraska either and what we go chasing after him again. It will take him a couple of seasons to see that building a championship program is more than just saying it.

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't know if this is true, but it's not that surprising. I generally enjoy Herbstreit's announcing, but I don't confuse what he says on Gameday or any other program with fact. He, like anyone else working for a news outlet, knows that he'll make a lot more money based on spewing opinions rather than reporting the facts. The highest-paid "reporters" at any news outlet, Fox, CNN, ESPN, etc.., are the ones that are paid for their opinions. I learned a long time ago that if you pay a person to talk, they're going to talk, and it doesn't matter if they believe it or if it's the truth; they just want you to listen, so they keep getting paid.