Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football podcast: UGA fans are furious with Kirk Herbstreit for comments to recruit

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited February 8 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football podcast: UGA fans are furious with Kirk Herbstreit for comments to recruit

DawgNation Daily -- the daily podcast for Georgia Bulldogs fans

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wouldn't say furious. Raiola is a limelight seeker, hence the 4 high schools in 4 years. He won't stick with Nebraska if everything isn't perfect. So no worries. We got a good one in puglisi.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 8

Herbstreet has been a Ohio State homer since he left there. You know, right after Georgia crushed him. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. ESPN has a huge bias against Georgia, always has. Probably because their golden boy hates Georgia so much. Like MTV, espn is becoming less and less relevant - hence all the firings.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree, not at all furious. I am happy with the way things have worked out. Also without Raiola, UGA has a better chance of flipping Ju Ju. Not at all surprised Herbstreit is biased. ESPN and Gameday becoming less relevant to me.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is my understand Herbstreit has told Juju Lewis he has a better chance becoming a legend if he wins the Natty at USC than he would at Georgia.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is my understand Herbstreit has told Juju Lewis he has a better chance becoming a legend if he wins the Natty at USC than he would at Georgia.

• Options
    GolfrankGolfrank Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Agree, agree, agree.

Don't worry about Herbie! He's just another talking head. They get paid big $$ to stir the pot.

The less we say, including myself, the sooner we can move on.....

• Options
    WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

Herbstreit can say what he wants, but dont think for a minute Kirby will forget something like that. That is just a petty thing to do. But hey, the kids Dad is who shocks me the most. All that crap about it being Dylan's decision turns out to be all BS. Good luck to him at Nebraska, that will one long road to hoe.

• Options
    saldivensaldiven Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ Junior

If it did happen as described, that's pretty unprofessional of Herbstreit. As a member of the national media, he really shouldn't be doing things designed to influence where recruits do or do not choose to commit. He shouldn't volunteer such opinions even if he's asked.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 8

Same with McAfee. Kirby is gonna remember that next year when interviews come up with them.

Waiting for the day that college gameday shows up in athens, which likely not next year. Gonna be an awkward moment for Kirk, McAfee, and Saban, lol. Not so much Saban. He didn't publicly backstab UGA.

• Options
    Lexi33Lexi33 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

Pretty obvious Kirk was trying to disadvantage the Dogs to the benefit of his Alma Mater, Ohio State. I noticed Nebraska didn't crack the top 25 in this year's recruiting ratings, even with the new guy.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fyi....it's not just "UGA Fans", that are furious. All CFB Fans are taken aback.

If one of ESPN's own, can use inside information to sway one recruit......"What else have they been tampering with?"....The College Football Playoff, maybe?

A "Sports Media" outlet tampering with outcomes?!. If they can do it...why not "Sports Betting" [Vegas and other online betting]. There are billions of gambling dollars available, to buy as many officials and players as necessary....to sway a result. Whether it's on a scoreboard....in a Committee....or, in recruiting.

My question would be...."How many times, has this happened before?". And, "Who all, was involved?"

Now, there's a probing question for an "honest, naturally curious [tic]", National Media, to ask. Think they will?. Lol...yeah...right!

I've been saying this for years....CFB outcomes aren't always, completely based on football performance....but rather, "football perception". Sports Media and Sports Betting have an enormous amount of influence on creating that perception....whether it's real, or not.

I still say UGA was the best CFB Team in 2023. National Sports Media is trying real hard..."not to say it", but, they are implying it. A blind man could see what's going on, in CFB.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 8

I'm increasingly eager to hear the other side of this story. The silence from KH and ESPN is deafening. If the Dad exaggerated and/or mis-represented, then you can bet the College Game Day team is working overtime with the lawyers before releasing a counterpoint.

However, if there is zero response from ESPN for another few days...? Then likely guilty-as-charged and someone's gotta take the rap.

I know many are questioning the CGD crew post the departure of Pollack (who I really, really like... BTW, did Saban have feelers out to ESPN already for his post-football role when Pollack made his "new standard comment"?), but I have generally liked the show and commentary. Even McAfee has grown up a little. Corso? Whole nutha story

However, if this IS indeed true, and neither KH nor ESPN take accountability, then I have to move on from College Game Day. Just wish Fox would provide better content than currently on Big Noon Kickoff (dumb name IMHO) so I can make the move permanent 🫤

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/calls-mount-for-espn-to-discipline-kirk-herbstreit-over-unethical-recruiting-influence

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 8

This! 💪 Would be amazing if this event uncovered something much bigger...

• Options

They don't get paid, to "make the news". They get paid, to "report the news"...IMO.

This puts ESPN and everybody that works there, in a new category...."facilitators, managers, defenders and employers" of CFB. That's why Kirby downplays the Polls, Hype and CFP....as something "not in their control". That's not the way it "should be".

It "should be" in their control....just like every other Division of CFB and every other sport...with an emphatic set of rules packing "no flexibility", such as Committee's or Polls judging a beauty contest. It should be about wins and what you did on the field and in your Conference. Not...."who your HC is"....or "team history"...or "rating out of HS".

ESPN, FOX Sports [etal].....pay billions of dollars, every year to broadcast CFB Entertainment and hype the teams and players of "their choice"...with mandatory interviews for coaches and players. They create "stars"...just like Hollywood....and, prop em up, when they aren't performing "as advertised". They even help create some of these nonsense "rules interpretations" that help friendly officials manipulate certain games.

Let's see how "all this" effects the trust that Coaches, Players and Fans have put in them, over the years. It's NOT...just about, UGA....or any one player. I believe this is just a symptom of a larger issue.

DID ESPN influence the outcome of the CFP Final 4?.......That's the question rolling around, in curious minds. Lol...and, how many times did they do it?.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Considering that it was the lack of an official review that ultimately ended the winning streak, your point about the refs not calling penalties on UGA opponents is particularly valid.

• Options

Officials have been given all the "tools" they need, to covertly influence the outcome of a close football game.

And......"Bama vs a gimpy, compromised UGA football team", in the CFPCG....gave em every opportunity to manipulate momentum and eventually, the "outcome" of that game....with a few choice calls and no-calls. Not enough to raise suspicions high enough, for it to be obvious. Text book.

What is telling....is that UGA is never the recipient of these Official "blessings on the field"...when it matters most. Lol...The 2022 OSU Game was an "Actual Blessing", cause God was tired of cheaters winning.

If the Dawgs had been 100%, there's no-way the officials could have made enough of a difference to influence the "outcome". All 4 teams, in the CFP were equal to the "gimpy, compromised UGA football team" that Bama beat one month prior....but, they weren't equal to the 100% UGA Team that showed up against FSU.

"They" knew, that the only way UGA didn't win the Natty in '23....is if they don't get a chance to compete. Taking em out, in the SECCG, just makes sense...if you intend for Michigan and Harbaugh to take home a trophy.

UGA had to outplay bad officiating a couple of times throughout the season...which would've put em on the bubble anyway, cause ESPN and FOX had been attacking "just UGA's" schedule, all season long. Trying to minimize em, in the eyes of Voters....while giving UM & OSU [and others] "a pass", for virtually the same thing.

Note to ESPN & FOX Sports........Don't tell me, there isn't a preseason meeting, to get everybody on the same soap-box....all preaching the same words...in an effort to distort reality, enough to sway opinions and voters, for everything, from The CFP to the Heisman. That's fine....just don't say you are unbiased and report what you see. You aren't...and you don't. You only report, that which supports "your narratives". And, now you're caught meddling, red-handed.

Smh...how low, can our National Media go? I say you're a Journalist....you say, "I'm a commentator & analyst.".....I say you're just a commentator & analyst....you say, "I'm a Journalist.". Apparently, there is no difference, anymore. So....what are are the new Journalist-Analyst ethics and standards? Cause, right now....I don't see any.

Everything in this post has been confirmed by a "knowledgeable source close to the scene". Lol....that guy gets around, don't he?.