Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Social media reacts to latest Kirk Herbstreit comments regarding Dylan Raiola

SystemSystem Posts: 10,458 admin
edited February 9 in Article commenting
imageSocial media reacts to latest Kirk Herbstreit comments regarding Dylan Raiola

ATHENS — Georgia fans likely didn’t expect to be thinking about Dylan Raiola at this point. Raiola flipped his commitment to Nebraska just before the early signing period in December.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 9

Oh please, it doesn't matter. Even if Kirk STRONGLY encouraged his father/Dylan what does that matter? How many famous people, ex-superstars, coaches, etc gave him their opinion? Dylan knew what everybody knows, which is that he had a 0% chance of starting next year vs I'm sure a program that will literally design their offense around him.

This has and ALWAYS be a fundamental choice without really a great answer. Do you play for a program that will make your life easy or make your life hard? Going the "easy" route puts you on a team like Nebraska and I have NO DOUBT that he will put up some unbelievable stats there. Look at the 2021 NFL Draft. Pick #2 was a QB from BYU and #3 was from North Dakota State.

If there was any doubt, I'm happy Dylan chose Nebraska. He'll be transferring again soon enough.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ok, I guess Dominic Raiola was lying when he said that Herbstreit said "He's got to do it (flip)".

My favorite part is that Herbstreit is claiming that he never advised Dylan not to go to Georgia. Well, Herbie, he can't sign with Nebraska AND Georgia, now can he?

Herbie advised his friend to run off and start a new life with his mistress, but make no mistake, he certainly wasn't telling him to leave his wife. That's just ridiculous.

Eye roll.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 9

Herbstreit is basically calling Dominic Raiola a liar in all this.

He's such a great, upstanding guy, that Kirk Herbstreit.

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm thinking as is often the case, that the real truth, of which there is only one, is somewhere in the middle.

Herbstreit took too much time to respond which to me, was time spent on crafting the "perfect" response. I don't like the attempt at gaslighting, " Was very surprised people took this the wrong way." Lol. Kirk isn't dumb. He knows exactly how and why people took it that way. To spin it as a "them" issue is pathetic.

At the same time, I'm also having an issue with at least some of what Raiola's dad said. First, the whole, “Dude, Is this true? He got to do it. He got to do it." Perhaps that's a rough paraphrase but it certainly doesn't sound like the conversation I would expect to have with a very verbally polished TV announcer. Second, his dad said he knew Dylan should go to Nebraska but wasn't going to tell him that....but somehow Herbstreit's opinion moves the needle? Ridiculous. This is the same set of parents who were "all in" on every move he's made and moved to Georgia themselves. These are VERY involved parents. It makes no sense to get that far and then say, "hey, I think Kirk is right, let's go to Lincoln".

At this point, it really doesn't matter who initiated the phone call or what exactly the question was that KH answered. It's all about managing the optics and KH will move on from this without further issue. Meanwhile, Raiola's dad looks like a tool.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Herbstreit says, “he didn’t know before or after speaking with DR’s father that Dylan was considering flipping to Nebraska”. I’m just trying to figure out what other reason Dylan’s father would have contacted Herbstreit with those questions. I still contend Herbstreit was pissed-off that UGA had flipped Dylan from Ohio State and it was payback time. I think in the long run we will be fine without a recruit who attended 4 high schools and committed to 3 universities over 3.5 years. Something good will probably come out of this for UGA like someone named Ju Ju. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wish somebody in the media would just ask him straight up if he's calling Raiola a liar.

• Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 9

2 simple questions everyone can understand. What does DR’s father have to gain from making up a story about KH? What does KH have to gain from saying a story suggesting he directly got involved in the recruitment of a player? Answer these two questions and you will have your answer.

• Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

It all started with Herbstreit reaching out to his "buddy" D Raiola. Somewhere along the course of the converstation, Herbstreit advised Dom that he should tell Dylan to go to N. After all Ruhle is such a great guy. But does he know that Ruhle has a 50% winning average as a college HC? 11-27 in the pros. He had one good year at Baylor and has leveraged that into a career mediocre career. May be a nice guy but he sux as a HC. He will be gone from N in 3-4 years and will end up as a coordinator somewhere. Maybe.

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

“Are you suppose to say Matt Rhule is a bad guy, Matt Rhule is an idiot, Matt Rhule is a bad coach,” Herbstreit said of his conversation with Dominic Raiola. “Or do you say, ‘I like Matt Rhule. I think Matt Rhule is a good coach.’”

Give me a break! You should not even be in a conversation with a recruit’s dad! Surely Herbie knows better. What is he doing even having the conversation in the first place?

I say this even though I’m glad DR is not coming to UGA. Playing for 4 different high schools in three different states indicates a very dis functional situation. Ad in three different commitments to three different college programs. Avoiding such wackiness is dodging a bullet.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Careful not to cut off the nose to spite the face UGA fans! ESPN can sure make things difficult if the right folks are POd. In the big scheme I don't think the incident really has negative effect on the Dawgs!

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dawgnation fans and the UGA leadership should ban Kirk Herbstreit from the UGA campus during all Georgia football weekends in Athens, Georgia. The guy is a schemer and stealthier than a B-2 bomber. He was completely out of line. He's also a big Bama homer. and a Bucknut to boot.

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was thinking about these comments from Herbstreit and yes, the conversation shouldn't have happened but they also don't make a lot of sense. KH boiled it all down to "if I'm guilty of anything, it's saying Matt Rhule is a good guy and good coach". Okay. But what about that is somehow undiscoverable or unknowable by the Raiola's? The dad is a well-known and respected former player. He's got access and a skill set to determine differences between coaches, etc. What was the need for the phone call?

It's akin to leaving a great scene in the cutting room floor. We aren't getting all the information from KH but ESPN trotted him out to Feinbaum so they could put it to rest. I'm still irritated that KH wants to play dumb about why fans are upset.