Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why Georgia football went out and added Stanford tight end Benjamin Yurosek

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited February 9 in Article commenting
imageWhy Georgia football went out and added Stanford tight end Benjamin Yurosek

ATHENS — Tight end didn’t appear to be a need for Georgia in the transfer portal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve often heard that the only true **** question is the one you Don’t ask thus leading you to Assume. Anyone that cares to can answer this. Do you think Kirby and Bobo might be looking to convert one or maybe even two of our TEs to a WR role, especially slot receiver ??

Of Course they Will Have to have good blocking skills that’s a given. For durability and longevity of a potentially much longer season, I sort of get adding a veteran skilled TE. Sort of.

But that room has gotten mighty crowded now. Having to trim the roster down to 85 now leaves little to any room to Add a guy or two to the Defensive Front in my humble opinion. BUT I trust Kirby in the end, he knows allot better than I do the Dawgs needs. Go Dawgs !! And welcome to our new to UGA TE !!

• Options
    Lexi33Lexi33 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

That's swell, but I'm still nervous about the talent level and depth at defensive line.

• Options

Hmmm good info. there !! Thx for providing that !! If Kirby was a horse trader he’d be winning the Kentucky Derby on a regular basis !! 😂 He misses from time to time but not often. His analysis of selecting players to offer to UGA are right much more times than wrong.

So your also right, more than apt this young man is gonna show some good stuff comes the fall !! Kirby is also a master at roster management, in Most cases, yeah he misses some there to, but gets it right much more often.

By the time we get to Hotlanta to face Clem’son, I think we will see a Very formidable Dawgs team. Kirby seems to be salivating at the idea of a sort of Revenge season for being Snubbed by the PlayOff Committee. And he has plenty of Chip On The Shoulder material for the bulletin board.

This season will be Tough, Extremely Tough, but in my ample gut I Believe our Dawgs will be ready and raging for it !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’ll give it a shot. With 6 TEs. You can run both 1st and 2nd teams along with the scout team. So I don’t think they would “convert” any of them

as for as getting to 85. UGA does not publish who is on scholarship. It’s possible that a half dozen of the “scholarship” players are actually being funded by other sources.

• Options

That makes reasonable sense. Thx !! I in particular didn’t realize the info. about the scholarships. Kirby is always calculating when he makes these moves. So I trust him. And quality depth sure comes in handy should the ole injury bug break out in force. Thx Bro !! Hope you and family have a great off season !! Looking forward to G Day !!

• Options

I’m in agreement with @Lexi33 I’d like to see the Dawgs At A Minimum add at least one more Quality defensive line guy. Two more would be even better in my humble opinion. But like the broken record I tend to be I trust in Kirby. He knows far better than I do the team needs.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I trust CKS. Looks like he's bent on amassing the most talent he can and let the chips fall where they may as pertaining to playing time and the transfer portal. This guy can play right away and he is a proven pass catcher. He as pretty good run after the catch but that was against the PAC12 defenses. He looks lumbersome to me on film.

I don't know that Delp will be a go to pass catcher(still unproven) think he had a drop in the BAMA game or Fla St., cant remember. I have seen a video of UGA players taliking about when Luckie showed up on campus and UGA players said something like Brock Bowers better watch out or that he was the new BB. So, there is great potential with him. Spurlin is a big target and faster I believe than the Stanford transfer. But he too is a yet to be proven "pass catcher".

If nothing else we added proven pass catching depth. He's a big target too. So, I can see certain packages where we have some pretty lengthy receivers out there and could pose matchup problems. THen again maybe Bobo wil take a page out of how Andy Reid uses Kelce on those short 7-10 yard throws that no one can stop with kelce's 6'5" frame and sure hands. Go DAwgs!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I see all the comments and it is true, I am not head coach at a major college, but no, I still don’t understand this one. I just don’t see the need in getting a one-year TE.

And I gotta be honest, I wonder what those third string guys that came to UGA for the love of the school or a pie-in-the-sky sales pitch that are sitting around eyeballing that 90 vs 85 number and wondering where they stand. Maybe there is a bit of “you might want to think about….” going on.

But this one, I’m sorry. I don’t get it.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is a good decision for him. He will have a degree from Stanford and can spend a year in the #1 program in college football in hopes of improving and making a NFL team. I see comments here on the possibility of moving existing TEs to a wide receiver position. That's totally possible, whether real or lining up multiple TE's then shifting them out wide, basically the same result. We can line up with multiple TEs and then shift out or run depending on the personal of the defense. It can create matchup nightmares for defenses. Plus, all will be fresh. We can rotate at will. Bobo has a lot of toys to play with. It could be we have a transfer from this position, but that's something we can absorb. I have to say, watch out for Jaden Reddell. Also, like others have mentioned, I think we need one or two impactful additions to the DL.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just another snotty nosed entitled snowflake who has not accomplished anything in real life and will ride her “daddy’s coat tail” until his estate runs out of money to support her lifestyle.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t worry navydawg, Kirby gunna whip em so bad they go join the now dissolved pac10

• Options

@Vetdawg Thx my Brother !! And Thank You for your service to our country. Your a DGD in my book !! I hope your right and Believe your right about Dawgs putting a stomping on Bama !! Would surely be a joyful thing !! And easy for Saban’s daughter to sit back and ridicule David, she’s probably never done an honest days work in her life !!

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 362 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm ALL for putting the best players possible on the field to go after another National Championship. Kirby will weed out who isn't living up to expectations and get us to the 85 scholarship limit.

• Options
    WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

@navydawg and @Vetdawg As a former vet myself thank you for your service. As far as the TE spot goes I don't care how many we have, the more the merrier. The heavier the set the better, then we can run all over your ass or throw a seam pass and torch you for 20 plus yards with a TE. Also when you think about a lot of Big12 and Pac12 players have come in the SEC and done well. Jackson Dart, Judkins, others. I think we will be fine. Anyway, Go Dawgs boys!

• Options

And Thank You for your service Bro. Yep Kirby will figure what’s best to plug those guys in to play. It’s good medicine in the event of a rash of injuries to. Losing Brock and Ladd for such long periods of time hurt us. And Both were only at about 85% in the SECCG. So it’s not a bad thing to have more quality guys to turn to.

Course one or two Might decide to leave. But the cream will rise to the top. Gotta be tough, tough to stick it out at UGA. But you emerge better off in most cases for staying. Go Dawgs !!!

• Options
    edited February 10

Exactly. Agree. Kirby knows how to make the Right selections. He wins on that far more than he loses. Like I said in another post if he had those skills as a horse trader he’d win the Kentucky Derby every year !! 😂

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

navydawg, you indeed speak for the Dawg Nation Choir.....and who knew that Kristen (down vote) Saban was a member too?....now guys as far as the WHY another TE....Yurosek is a clone of BB....6'4or5 240ish, he is experienced, loves the middle and he's great at yards after contact, and he takes away the pressure on Oscar to be BB 2.0.....together they will wreak havoc on defenses just like BB & Oscar did in 23 plus we give time and opportunity for Lawson, Spurlin, Reddell and Heinrich to work toward the BB Standard!