Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What separates Benjamin Yurosek from the rest of Georgia football transfer haul

SystemSystem Posts: 10,701 admin
edited February 16 in Article commenting
imageWhat separates Benjamin Yurosek from the rest of Georgia football transfer haul

Benjamin Yurosek is different than the rest of Georgia’s seven transfers. He’s the only one of them who won’t be with the team this spring.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yurosek showed some speed on that 50-yard end-around.

You can't replace Bowers but if you can line up two very good tight ends, it can still be very effective and hard to stop.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From what's been written about him, he is a "film guy."

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He'll also be catching up with Reddell and Heinrich, for that matter. He's a smart dude, so hopefully he'll be deep into the playbook and chopping serious wood before he arrives. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree and my gut feeling is we may not be confident that Luckie and Spurlin are ready for prime time. Yurosek has some impressive stats and actually averaged more yards per reception than Bowers…..albeit against PAC-12 defenses. He’s also a big body who appears to be a good blocker. My bet is we start the season playing Delp and Yurosek together and substitute frequently with Luckie and Spurlin to get them more experience. Reddell and Heinrich may be seeing a redshirt year, but Reddell looked like a beast during the bowl practices so stay tuned on that big dude. Of course, all these predictions will likely blow up thanks to transfers, injuries, etc. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THe main thing as I and a couple of others have pointed out previously is he's a proven commodity. It isn't about potential as it is with the rest of our TE room. Spurlin,Luckie, and Delp are all guys with tons of potential. But they are younger and inexperienced. DElp of course with a leg up to the other two. We believe in our guys, but no one can say at this point that any of them will approach BB production.

Yurosek should be as plug-in play as any of the transfers. I mean he's a Stanford guy. I think we all saw what happened in the BAMA game when you get a couple of your go-to guys banged up. CKS doesn't want to base this offense on just 2-3 guys who can catch in pressure situations and if they aren't at even 90 percent strength you still have to roll with them because it's just who you trust.

I see Yurosek starting right away. He adds what only Spurlin has, compared to the other TE's, that huge catch radius, but with proven pass catching ability and experience. Along with Young at WR(most UGA fans probably don't know yet what a big human being that guy is with speed. I saw a video yesterday of some of his fellow MIami teammates talking about when he showed up on campus the other guys thought he was a DE. WHen he told them he was a WR their mouths dropped! THey said good luck trying to cover him. He's a freak!) we now have the option to go with a big(tall) package.

If you lineup Yurosek, Young, Delp, Bell or Thomas and I believe your smallest receiver is 6' 2". Talk about a potential matchup problem. Yurosek has several pass catches over 25 yards down the field on video where he snathes the ball away from the defenders, which is to say, throw him the ball for alot like BB he doesn't have to be "open" to be open! I haven't seen that yet from OD. I've seen him catch the open passes but not the highly contested ones. Not to say that he can't. I believe we will all like what Yurosek brings to the table.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yurosek shows good speed for as big as he is...but, believe me, Brock would be celebrating in the EZ not on his face caught from behind. Yurosek will not likely be another Bowers. One year remaining and getting a very late start to his final season. I hope he does rate the hype. SEC play is quite a departure from PAC-12. He and Delp just could make a difference in a two TE set.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He looks impressive, but you've gotta use him enough on a regular basis so when he's in there the defense doesn't automatically assume he's getting the ball. Otherwise, they are going to key on him every time he's in there. That's the challenge you have with Yurosek.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Defenses keyed on BB.. too..he did OK......With Colbie Young, defenses will be reluctant to play man coverage without devoting a safety to help out. You can't double team everyone. WIth Arian Smith it was just take your chances 1) he might not catch it..2) with his short stature and arms CB had to place it in there perfectly for him. Not so, with Young. Guy is 6"5" and bult like a tank. Not many teams going to leave their DB on an island against Young.

It will be MB's job to devise passing routes where Yurosk can be used ala Travis Kelce. The film I watched of Young the defense more or less said you're not going to beat us deep, so he took a lot of short comeback throws and ran for good yardage after the catch. Amazing how fast he can get in top gear from a stop.

Yurosek is open, when he's not open. 6'5" with long arms.

If Bobo does this right and we can stay relatively healthy it's going to be fun to watch and I predict scoring records will fall. Our average points per game will be an all-time high.

Should come down to us and Ohio St. in the playoffs.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No worries about Yurosek showing up late. He is a given. A proven commodity. He will miss spring so he must somehow keep up his conditioning and strength. He should have access to most of what he needs on campus at Stanford. If he doesn't keep chopping he will be passed by the remaining BB disciples in the UGA TE room.

Yurosek missing spring has 2 benefits. 1) extra reps for the other scholarship TE's. 2) Yurosek remains a "mystery" to the other TE's (competition). IF he showed up and balled out you might see 1 (Spurlin) of the 5 hit the TP.

Experienced depth. 12 personnel starter or high game rep's player. Insurance against TE injuries depleting the room. Good pick up provided the addition doesn't cost another position of higher need due to the numbers (85).

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 16

IMO...It's not really hard to see, why this marriage makes sense.

As far as tUGA's motivation, in bringing him in....Two words...."Special Teams". And, 2 more...."High Character".

And, why would he want to stand in line at UGA, for a few targets?. One word...."Exposure". Another word...."Coaching". Particularly, if he intends to go into "coaching" should the NFL, not work out for him...[assuming that's His goal].

It's his one shot, at finding NFL interest. Kirby thinks he's worth it....and, He usually sees something missed by other coaches and scouts. Can't wait to see what they have in mind.

Maybe...they're looking at running out of more "12 personnel" than in the past. They certainly have the talent at TE, to do that very effectively. Especially, if they're planning on a ramped up ground game...with a quick strike passing game.

I think they may be goin' back to their roots....ball control offense [updated NFL Version] and solid defense.

If Beck and Stockton can perfect the "Bobo Back-Shoulder Bolder Holder"....the Dawgs could be virtually, "Unstoppable".

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bowers 6'4 240 lbs runs 4.5 in the 40 with a 40" vertical , Yurosek 6'5 242 best recorded run the 40 in 4.63 but as high as 5.05 with a 30" vertical. Yurosek has a good bit longer stride which may make his top end speed equal or better than Brocks. I believe his value and success will come down to how well he runs his routes and how Bobo schemes him. A Brock Bowers is a generational player and it is greatly unfair to expect him to be Boweresk.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

5.05....? With all due respect...That's high. When I was in HS ['70's]....you weren't considered a serious recruit, if you couldn't run under 5 flat. I suspect that hasn't changed.

Although....with the body weight some of these guys are carrying around...5'ish may be acceptable, for o-line positions. But, NOT for a TE you intend to target, in your passing game.

If you don't mind my asking....Where did you get that "time"?...and...how far apart were those 2 times, clocked [in years]. What was his weight and position, when he ran the 5.05.

The way i view Bowers is....He's a "great football player"....that happens to be very agile and athletic [talented]. Guys like Bowers always stand out amongst their peers....on the sandlot...on the basketball court, the baseball diamond or, the football field.

Doesn't matter which sport or position....they always stand out. Usually, because they are more focused and competitive. They love playing and don't want to stop....even when everybody else is tired and ready to go home....or it's getting dark or raining [Lol]. In a nutshelll...."They are driven to Be the Best."

You can spot em a mile away, if you know what you're looking for. But, if you look too hard [pour over Stats]....you could miss it. They don't always show up, in the stats, for many reasons. But, in the right system, in the right atmosphere, under the right coach....they can blossom right before your eyes.

I don't write-off any member of "Kirby's Dog Pound", from being a better version of themselves, in 2024. There's no telling which side of the line, the next "Brock Bowers" is gonna rise up on....or, which position.

IMO....Brock could've played any position on the field. But, because he played a position that historically hasn't produced a whole lot of fire power [TE]...he comes off as a "freak". I think we'll start seeing more "freaks" playing TE in the future.

That being said...it'll be extremely hard for ANY player, to measure-up to Brock Bowers at tight end...with all of the tools he has on his belt [Jack-of-all-trades]. And, he has "all" of the tools, too. Speed, power, agility, balance, intelligence, focus, hand-eye coordination. I don't see a weakness, really.

I think we'll start seeing more and more "athletes" migrate to the tight end position...[because of Bowers]. Just like we saw with Defensive Backs....after, Deion Sanders turned CB into an explosive, high profile, high value position.