Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dell McGee’s impact at Georgia is a big reason he’s a candidate for Georgia State opening

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited February 22 in Article commenting
imageDell McGee’s impact at Georgia is a big reason he’s a candidate for Georgia State opening

ATHENS — Dell McGee has been with the Georgia football program long enough to remember when the Bulldogs had to bus to the practice fields.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 22

Hold everything......I Googled GA ST HC salary and it said 811 k, their coach left to be the Gamecock TE coach, Dell is making 800k as UGA's running back coach and as such has been regaled with honors and accolades, better job ops are only a season away......note to Dell, unless GSU is willing to pay 1.5 mil, I'd much rather remain a Dawg than a Blue Panther.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

First, if not for his son going there I would say no way. He can get a much bigger school and money, which leads me to, he might as well stay at UGA and wait for quadruple that amount because if it does not work out at GSU, it can really set back getting a HC job at a power 5 school.

That being said, Dell will be a very good HC. He may take it but if not for his son being there, I would have my doubts. Selfishly, I hope he holds out for a much bigger and better paying gig.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So the current coach at Ga State has left to be a TE coach at SC? Like was he given an ultimatum? I don't like this move for Dell, but it's his life of course. You do you.

• Options
    randomsportsfanrandomsportsfan Posts: 23 ✭ Freshman

Guys, RB coach is not a position that lends itself to upward mobility in college football or the NFL. While QB and DB coaches often become coordinators within 5 years and then move up from there - and similar is true of LB, WR and OL coaches - RB and DL coaches generally remain in those positions for their entire careers. I cannot remember the last time an RB coach became a head coach for a major program or even a prominent mid major. And their even becoming coordinators isn't happening anymore now that RBs and the running game are way more devalued with programs abandoning the I-formation and option in favor of the spread. Even UGA rarely produces 1000 yard RBs anymore and this is with 13 - 15 game seasons. This isn't the era when UGA RBs put up numbers like Lars Tate, Rodney Hampton, Tim Worley and Garrison Hearst and those were 11 game seasons.

Also, McGee is 50. You are seeing the NFL hire guys under 40 with a passing game background, sometimes as young as 32. So the idea that he should wait a couple of years for a better shot at a higher profile program doesn't make sense. More like he needs to take this job now and hope that it gets him a Louisville or UCF type job when he is 55 then maybe an SEC or Big 10 job when he is 60.

The only way sticking around makes sense for McGee is if Kirby Smart makes him the WR or QB coach.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Coach. McGee is a DGD! If he moves on he’ll be missed. Wish him the best.

• Options
    Lexi33Lexi33 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

He'd be missed, but I doubt he'd lure away top running back recruits from UGA to GSU. Just different planes.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 187 ✭✭✭ Junior

The coach at Georgia State wanted to be closer to his daughter in Columbia so he went to work for Beamer. Don’t think he was given an ultimatum at GSU

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

6-10 in your conference the last 2 years will encourage you to want to see your daughter more often.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck to Coach McGee in his future, wherever it may be..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 23

Breaking!!! Heard it is true. If it is true then Congratulations and good fortune for your future Coach McGee, you have been a faithful DGD you will be missed.😎