Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football hires James Coley as wide receivers coach

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited February 26 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football hires James Coley as wide receivers coach

ATHENS — Georgia is turning to a familiar name to fill the wide receivers coach opening, as it will reportedly hire James Coley to replace Bryan McClendon.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coley is known as a very good recruiter. Especially in S FL. This hire tells me that UGA/CKS still thinks recruiting is king when making assistant coaching hires. And that tells me either CKS suspects there will be material changes to the current NIL/TP model or that UGA needs/wants top recruiters to sell the UGA model which hasn't been as NIL reliant as OSU, TX, AL and TN.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Coley was a great recruiter while here. I hoped we'd go in a new direction instead of backtracking to Coley.

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m just a fan but it’s hard to believe this guy is as good as Terrence Edwards. Guess Chaney will be running backs coach .

• Options
    NissDawgNissDawg Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

Mannnnn a chance to get TE or Hines ward... and we get James Coley 🥴

At least get Gurley for rb coach

Not a fan of this hire, but maybe he'll prove me wrong like Bobo did last year

GO DAWGS

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In Kirby I trust. Those who disfavor we don't know the details of the search process. Trust that Kirby was thorough and chose the right candidate.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not excited about the hire, but just hope the players are. If not, possibly expect some more transfers when the portal opens back up. Gotta trust Kirby on this one even if it seems kinda Meh.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Better Never Rests"_____Kirby Smart....always searching for ways to make it better. He wouldn't have hired Coley...if, he thought it would take em "backwards" or "not move em forward"........BigDawg61, that's a Big 10-4....Coley is a very good WR coach, maybe not as good as TE but he's a hell of a great recruiter and he has the personality to fit smoothly into the UGA coaching team....someone mentioned Todd Gurley as a possible RB coach.....I do know his NFL career has concluded but I don't know if coaching is an interest.....He'd be great if it were...personalty, I still favor Hines for that position as his different position experiences allows for a more well rounded RB.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was a fan of the Bobo hire. Then '23 happened. Running TE jet sweeps in games (Vandy) you didn't even need BB to win cost UGA a injury to BB and the injury to BB cost the season. Add to that running (and fumbling) razzle dazzle at your own 10 yard line in the SECCG is enough for CMB to be on the hot seat for '24.

• Options
    Roman13Roman13 Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Outstanding hire!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spot on Bubba Bill. Coley shocked me at first, but he is a recruiter's recruiter. Knows UGA well. knows the SEC recruits well.. I was not impressed with him at UGA back then. He has come of age since. Kirby likes proven recruiters. I do like Hines Ward but Kirby knows what he is doing. I trust Coach Smart.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree with everything you two guys are saying. However, like you, UGA66...(I like the name BTW, Lol),...I was thinking, Coley was fairly young and inexperienced when he was in Athens, last time. That wasn't the case.

As @BubbaBill suggested, I looked at his resume' and was a little surprised He's about the same age as Kirby Smart, give or take a year or two.

And, he has a resume' that compares to Todd Monkin's, in that he has been coaching, since the '90's and never spent more than 3 years in one place. He brings a wide range of knowledge and experience...[not to mention recruiting prowess]....from various CFB & NFL HC's and OC's.

I don't know, exactly why Coley, Chaney and Pittman's offense's didn't produce as I thought it should have, in 2018 & '19. I think, when Coley took over in 2019, the die for that year had already been cast, by Kirby Smart. Smart wanted a ball-control offense to support his defense...and, learned a valuable Head Coaching lesson, in doing so....IMO.

Unlike Jimbo Fisher, and very much like Nick Saban.....I believe Kirby pivoted on his offensive philosophy in 2019. Hiring Monkin was just the beginning of the transition. I think Coley will fit right in, with Bobo and Searels. In fact, I think Searels and Coley have worked together before...don't know if Coley was at S. Carolina when Bobo was OC, there.

If I remember correctly...he also had a hand in Special Teams, last time around. The Dawgs need some long kickoff and punt returns, for a change...and, maybe a few onside kicks.

Lol....Coley could be the answer to a stagnant kick return game...along with Bolden, Evans and Bell. Whether or not, that's the case...I expect an upgrade on kickoff returns, this year, at a minimum.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 359 ✭✭✭ Junior

welcome back Mr. Coley!!

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He was a mitigated disaster as our OC; Texas a and m hasn’t had a competent offense nor any decent NFL caliber receivers since he arrived…But, whatever.

• Options
    SR_JRSR_JR Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore

I am hearing alot about Coley being a good recruiter... yes i agree. But have yet to hear about him being a great receiver coach. Name 3 wide receivers he has put in the league. Recruiting is fine but can you coach the position!!!! I read someone saying you'll find out when/if these receivers start hitting the portal come spring.

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coley can help with the Jimmies and Joes even if he is limited with the Xs and Os...

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Love these people jumping on Coley and are the same ones who said that Todd Monken was the worst hire Kirby has ever done. Give Coley a chance to prove himself--Have faith in Kirby's hires as the Dawgs are the most dominant organization in the country.

This discussion has been closed.