Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ladd McConkey continues to impress at NFL combine with strong 40-yard dash showing

SystemSystem Posts: 10,463 admin
edited March 2 in Article commenting
imageLadd McConkey continues to impress at NFL combine with strong 40-yard dash showing

Ladd McConkey is accustomed to making statements on the biggest stages. He did so once again on Saturday at the NFL combine.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ladd has mad skills and the 4.4 in the 40 is world class speed. If he isn't taken in the first round it will be from the stupidity of the NFL coaches and scouts.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2

When MCconkey says " I think I can stand up there with all of them" , in reference to competing against other supposedly better WR"s..i have no doubts that he can do just that.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 359 ✭✭✭ Junior

Love Ladd and want nothing but the best for that DGD!!

• Options
    randomsportsfanrandomsportsfan Posts: 22 ✭ Freshman

@CHDawg54

First, a bunch of things to make you hate me.

Dawgnation isn't putting McConkey's 4.39 in context: 9 guys ran as fast or faster plus Malik Nabers and Marvin Harrison Jr sat out. Nabers, Harrison, Brian Thomas and Rome Odunze are still the top 4 WR prospects (both Thomas and Odunze ran faster than expected). McConkey is still in that next group.

So are Xavier Worthy and Adonai Mitchell, who had the #1 and #2 WR combine performances. Worthy set the 40 record with a 4.21. Mitchell had the best all around: 6'2 1/4", 205 lbs, 4.34 40, 39.5" vertical, 11.4' broad jump. UNC's Devontez Walker running a 4.36 and Michigan's Roman Wilson a 4.39 puts them in the 2nd group with McConkey. Keon Coleman's 4.61 drops him into the third batch however. Add it all up and I say that McConkey is #6 WR in the draft.

Now some things to make you hate me just a little less.

McConkey is only #6 due to this WR class being loaded. McConkey would have been the #3 WR in 2023 and the #4 in 2021. Also, McConkey has a VERY real shot to go in the first. A lot of people say that it is unlikely because there are so many good QBs and OTs. What they are overlooking: a lack of elite DTs, LBs, TEs and RBs where there are only 1-2 guys with a first round grade each. Also, 6 WRs were taken in the first in 2022 and 2020 so there is precedent. The Texans at #23, Packers at #25, Cardinals at #27, Bills at #28, Ravens at #30 and Chiefs at #32 all have huge needs at WR so I say that there is a better chance of it happening than not. And yes, the Ravens at #30 would reunite McConkey with Monken.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 3

You are exactly right. LMcC had a superb combine. IF his back and ankle get cleared 100% he moves up into the top half of Rd 2. If there are medical questions he drops to later Rd 2 or later. Will be interesting to watch play out.

AD moved himself into the end of Rd 1. Worthy is fast but awful small. 165 lb? Hard to see him in the 1st Rd at that weight.

As for the combine 40 times, the Indy track was once known as a "slow" track. Having a slow track was contrary to the hype/buzz the NFL wanted to generate from the combine. So the track was replaced with a surface that returns more energy to the runner as he runs. . Since then the times have been "fast". I don't remember the exact count but it was something like 50 players that clocked better than 4.5 in the 40 in the '24 combine.

LMcC looked quick, fast and fluid. Woulda been nice to have had him this past season.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

While McConkey has run the 40-yard dash, the drills he could really wow in are the 3-cone and short shuttle, which will be run later on Saturday. Those should highlight McConkey’s start and stop ability and it would not be a surprise if he were one of the top testers in that drill.

So right Connor! Ladd is obviously fast, very fast. But he is even quicker. His quickness is what separates him from many just-as-fast receivers.