Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following 2024 NFL Combine

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited March 4 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following 2024 NFL Combine

Winner: Georgia defensive backs

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DefinsDefins Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'm beggining to figure out why the same teams draft high every year. They don't think TE is a big enough factor? Let's look back shall we? Travis Kelsey, Ron Kittles, Greg Olsen,Shannon Sharpe, Ozzie Newsome,Jason Witten,John Mackey,Dave Casper, Mike Ditka,Jackie Smith,Keith Jackson, Rob Gronkowski, just to name a few. As far as Ladd goes. Would you rather have a reciever tht's open or one that runs well in their shorts?

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That tape of Bullard in the position drills is insane! Along with his other combine metrics and stellar game day reputation, I just don't see how he falls to round 3. All them dawgs made us proud, again. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    SR_JRSR_JR Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore

Had he stayed another year he would have been a guaranteed 1st or 2nd rd pick

• Options
    randomsportsfanrandomsportsfan Posts: 22 ✭ Freshman

@Defins

First, the same teams do not draft high every year. Second, yes WRs are more valuable than TEs. WRs not only catch more passes, but they make more big plays, both in yards after the catch and in vertical plays down the field. They are the ones that defenses have to gameplan and scheme for. Look at the stats from this past season: no TE was in the top 25 in receiving yards. Only 5 were in the top 25 in catches, with only 1 in the top 15 and 2 in the top 20.

Unless you have some foresight that indicates their not being as good in the NFL as they were in college - and no "they didn't play at UGA and don't have 2 rings" isn't foresight - then yes taking Marvin Harrison and Malik Nabers over Bowers is the right decision. Thomas and Odunze are different stories: Thomas had only one big year - though he did his job as an underclassman reserve - and Odunze was in an air raid offense. But even with those guys, whether to take them or a 240 lb. TE who will face real challenges as a blocker at the NFL level - were Bowers 255 lbs like Travis Kelce at his combine or 265 lbs like Mike Gronkowski with the Patriots would be a whole different story - will depend on scheme and roster talent. Now I would do it, but only because my ideal team would play 2 TEs and run the football a lot like the Steelers and Ravens today and the Joe Gibbs Redskins teams of the 1980s. If I were the Eagles, I would ditch disgruntled AJ Brown for picks and use them to move up and draft Bowers, especially since Jalen Hurts isn't exactly Matt Stafford at QB and needs a reliable target over the middle of the field more than a vertical playmaker. (Any team that trades for Justin Fields? Same.) But that is an example of what I am talking about: schemes and needs for specific teams. Otherwise Thomas and Odunze are more valuable, even if they are merely #2 WRs in the NFL.

• Options
    JimBobJimBob Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

Good article. Drafting for the NFL is frequently a mistry, at least from my point of view. If you want a baller that is open most plays, blocks well, and has after running catch ability then Bowers is your guy.

• Options
    JimBobJimBob Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore