Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football needs Trevor Etienne to have a strong spring if he’s to lead running back room

SystemSystem Posts: 10,534 admin
edited March 7 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football needs Trevor Etienne to have a strong spring if he’s to lead running back room

Dell McGee never got the chance to coach Trevor Etienne. McGee took the Georgia State head coaching job prior to Etienne taking his first step onto the Georgia practice field.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 7

“If Etienne is going to be the best version of himself, he’ll need to show it in spring practice for the Bulldogs.”

He’s a proven performer, so performing at a higher level in a far better program is very realistic. I believe that seeing the “best version of himself” can be expected based on these much better conditions (compared to Flarda). The greater question for Etienne and the entire RB room (and I’ll repeat myself) is; what is the plan for keeping these guys healthy through Spring practice and Fall Camp?

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 7

I have watched this player Etienne in action....explosive! Carves his own route after leaving the backfield. Has great hands too. Very hard to bring down as he is short and stout and very quick and quirky. He is the real deal. Will give UGA a decided advantage as a RB. Cannot wait to see him perform at G Day. He is an artist on his feet.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good points, Connor. I'd say, however, Georgia had the "chops" to catch the ball out of the backfield in 2023 (Edwards and Milton perfectly capable)... Bobo just didn't call their number as frequently as he wanted/needed to (not surprising, when you have Brock Bowers and Ladd McConkey as short options). Etienne will indeed hit the ground running, the other/new pups will come along just fine; and as long as they stay healthy, the RB room will be incredibly productive all over the field. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Keep in mind that games have been shortened as a result of the new ('23) rules for running the clock. UGA runs a ball control O (that typically milks the clock) that features multiple rotation at TE, WR and RB that ALL need touches. It is a pretty safe bet that ETN will NOT surpass the 131 carries he had at FU last season. Touches maybe but carries? No. Not with 7 scholarship RB's and Cash Jones to share the load. Expect a scholarship RB to transfer out during the spring TP window. IF ETN surpasses 131 carries by a lot there will be some unhappy guys in the RB room or it means multiple guys were hurt. Also, Dillon Bell's days as a RB at UGA are over. Maybe a trick play, to get an extra WR on the field or jet sweep but lining up at RB for carries is no longer needed.

Did CKS and CMB learn their lesson last year about overusing a star player during the regular season games?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All Entienne needs to do is pop off several big highlight film runs, make 25 or so catches out of the backfield showing his versatility and have a great yard per carry average and chi-ching! I think he will get a 1000 yards rushing at around 130-150 carries. THat's still going to leave around 400 carries for other backs to share in. I think we will get back to RBU this year. But then again we could score so quickly via the pass that might skew the numbers somewhat. Lots of new targets and some of the same cast . Gonna be some scoring records broken, I believe.

IF the Defense improves at stopping the opponents opening drives and can get off the field on 3rd downs, look out!

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Trevor is a very good running back. So are both Robinson’s and Paul. Also reasonable to expect at least one of the freshmen backs to be very good. The RB room is strong. Yes Connor, some transfers work and some don’t. Arik Gilbert was exactly what I expected and had said on this website: a disaster. He quit on his team at LSU and should have been avoided from the get-go. I said it before he came to UGA and I’m saying it now.

There are no indications that Trevor is a troubled-self-centered man. I will be shocked if Trevor doesn’t fit in immediately.