Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Former Georgia players set to make immediate impact in SEC, Power 5 schools

SystemSystem Posts: 10,457 admin
edited March 11 in Article commenting
imageFormer Georgia players set to make immediate impact in SEC, Power 5 schools

ATHENS — Georgia ranks among the most talented teams in the nation — if not THE most talented — in recruiting stars and developing players into NFL Draft picks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm glad those young men got the experience from Georgia, and hopefully, they will do great things at their respective schools.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck to these young men at their new schools..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Zirkel just might be the difference maker for A&M.

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

If I ever made the UGA football roster, I would absolutely NEVER transfer to another school. By transferring, I would be admitting that I was not good enough to win the starting job. Instead of such a disloyal and selfish act, I would dedicate myself to adding depth to my position group and work tirelessly to improve myself. None of these transfers went to schools that will contend for either conference or national championships. That says a lot. Vandergriff will most likely play for a middling team with a losing record in 2024.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SHows the depth of talent at UGA! THese men transferred to be able to play. THey weren't confident they would see the field this year..

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 11

I was thinking the same thing. If I'm an NFL scout...there are 2 things that would give me pause, in drafting a guy.

1....[Did he transfer from a competitive program to a non-competitive program?]

2....[Did he opt out of any games, for any reason?...including, but not limited to Bowl Games?]

If the answer to either one of the questions above, is "Yes", I have an issue with his character and ability. It may be a nothing-burger...but, It would require a deeper dive, to determine "cause". Who needs the headache?

There aren't many players worth that extra effort...to give em a good first paycheck, despite the optics, "They created", by "transferring to lesser competition" or "opting out". Was it for money?...or playing time?...or was it for another reason, not publicized?

"Motive" is everything, cause self-motivation is "required", to excel at the next level. No stone will be left unturned in the vetting process, cause at the end of the day...we ARE talking about a multi-million dollar investment, in a "Leader" for your organization.

Otherwise, you can get paid scale as a lower draft pick or walkon...with possibilities and potential. IMO...it's not just, "about talent", in the day 1 & 2 picks. The closer you can get, to a sure-thing...the better.

I think one of the ESPN's "Experts" [Kiper?] said, that the NFL didn't count Transfers or Opt-outs as a "Negative". That may be true...but, they darned sure don't count it as a "Positive". Sticking it out at your current competitive Program and "supporting your Teammates" counts as a "Positive"...especially in the "Character" & "Leadership" columns.

So...all things being equal...if it's not a "Positive"...it's a "Negative". There is no "Neutral", in the draft process. Lol

Go "Current Dawgs"! Lol

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You haven't been watching how CKS runs his program or how Nick Saban ran his program where CKS learned how to run a program. It is not always the players choice to leave the program.

In fact, most of the guys that leave the UGA program have been recruited over. CKS brings in a full class every recruiting season. Guys WORK to keep that spot by developing and competing. CKS is constantly looking for the most talented players that are willing to work the hardest and meet the UGA standard on and off the field.

Trying to think of at least 1 guy, that transferred, that you can say was truly missed after? Bear? Maybe. IF he developed and WORKED hard. Anyone else? JDJ? We'll see. You could say he was recruited over. UGA currently has six 4* or 5* ILB's on the roster. All with more eligibility remaining than JDJ. Maybe JDJ (and his speeding ticket) blowing up on the sideline 2 years ago was indicative of his not meeting the UGA standard. Notice he nor anyone else behaved like that since.

And Morrissette? He came to UGA at 187 lb and his coach reports he is up to 220 lb. A WR putting on 33 lbs is headed to TE territory. Work?

Bottom line UGA NEEDS guys to leave the program to secure guys with a perceived/realized higher upside. UGA STILL needs 4 or 5 MORE guys to transfer during the upcoming spring transfer window to make the required 85.

That is how the UGA program works and how CKS gets the guys he wants and what he want out of them.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You haven't been watching how CKS runs his program or how Nick Saban ran his program where CKS learned how to run a program. It is not always the players choice to leave the program.

In fact, most of the guys that leave the UGA program have been recruited over. CKS brings in a full class every recruiting season. Guys WORK to keep that spot by developing and competing. CKS is constantly looking for the most talented players that are willing to work the hardest and meet the UGA standard on and off the field.

Trying to think of at least 1 guy, that transferred, that you can say was truly missed after? Bear? Maybe. IF he developed and WORKED hard. Anyone else? JDJ? We'll see. You could say he was recruited over. UGA currently has six 4* or 5* ILB's on the roster. All with more eligibility remaining than JDJ. Maybe JDJ (and his speeding ticket) blowing up on the sideline 2 years ago was indicative of his not meeting the UGA standard. Notice he nor anyone else behaved like that since.

And Morrissette? He came to UGA at 187 lb and his coach reports he is up to 220 lb. A WR putting on 33 lbs is headed to TE territory. Work?

Bottom line UGA NEEDS guys to leave the program to secure guys with a perceived/realized higher upside. UGA STILL needs 4 or 5 MORE guys to transfer during the upcoming spring transfer window to make the required 85.

That is how the UGA program works and how CKS gets the guys he wants and what he want out of them.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As they say, UGA isn't for everybody.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...true. I think it's pretty much like ugadad20 said....it's part of "The Process", now that unlimited, unbridled "free-agency" is in full swing.

Unlike Saban and Bama....Kirby had UGA set up perfectly, to utilize the TP/NIL just enough to help...but, not enough to hurt. He didn't need it to enhance his team, though he selectively used it for that purpose.

Instead...[possibly due to the COVID year]...he needed it to purge his team, not only to make room for upgrades...but, to help the underachieving athlete find a new start with a trusted colleague....if he warranted the effort. Which explains why [Brandon???] Cox landed in Florida, if you know what i mean.. Lol

There was one or two that got away, like Alexander and AD Mitchell. But, there was a few "saves", too. Like Mims and Humphreys. Recruiting...is a 24/7 job, at the D1 level...due mainly, to all the money involved. It takes more than a village...it takes an Army, to recruit at an elite level every year...especially in today's market.

• Options
    gafanlivinginalgafanlivinginal Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well Stoops did say he needed to buy some better players.