Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The real reason Kirby Smart worries about what NIL is doing to college football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,460 admin
edited March 14 in Article commenting
imageThe real reason Kirby Smart worries about what NIL is doing to college football

ATHENS — Kirby Smart was not asked specifically about Name, Image and Likeness on Wednesday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 14

"Teams are becoming stacked. NIL is very powerful. Salute to those guys to whoever making their money, don’t get me wrong,” Mims said. “It’s definitely becoming powerful enough to build kinda like a super team. To the guys who use it well, good luck to them."

Yup. The teams and programs that are able to effectively manage and juggle recruiting, NIL, and the portal will be the last teams standing every year in the playoffs. Simple as that. Player development might be seen as secondary to getting the best players now if you want to compete for a Natty, because that player may be gone next season to another team. It doesn't matter if you like the current system or not. It's a free agency system now for the most part, and Collectives and the NIL are really just getting started.

Will the Dawgs be one of those teams in the playoffs every year? Probably...but there's no guarantee how the momentum might shift and other teams figure it out and step up. It's a Dawg eat Dawg world of college football. Buckle up fellas...

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wait. Are you trying to say that Matt Stinchcomb's take is the real reason that Kirby is talking about the needs for reform around NIL?

Seriously? That's ridiculous.

Everyone in the sport has the same take as Kirby except agents and athletes that are only out for the quick cash grab.

I find the idea that Kirby is trying to protect his salary as extremely hard to digest. Kirby loves this sport and specifically the college game.

Also, I dont know that Kirby has more than another 6 years or so as a head coach. I could see him retiring once his youngest graduates high school.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm glad this story pointed out that Smart isn't really talking about the Carson Beck's and Amarius Mims of the world. He supports kids ALREADY in college getting their just due. It's the high school recruits who haven't done a thing at the college level who already have their hands out who he's talking about. It's just awful. I know it won't happen, but I won't it to go back to the way it was. Pay the players under the table. Make them sit out a year if they transfer. Whatever. I don't think the players were ever as "abused" as they claim to be. And I don't care if the coaches make $10 million a year. My CEO makes 10 or 20 times my salary. So what? College athletes at P5 schools were always among the elite. Now they all claim they were so put upon. Please. My company makes hundreds of millions of dollars each year. They pay me a VERY SMALL portion of that. I either take it or go somewhere else. I wish colleges could just say, "take this or just move along.'