Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

March Madness for Georgia basketball: Why the Bulldogs postseason hopes are alive

SystemSystem Posts: 10,462 admin
edited March 16 in Article commenting
imageMarch Madness for Georgia basketball: Why the Bulldogs postseason hopes are alive

ATHENS — Georgia basketball could be headed for its first postseason in seven years under second-year coach Mike White.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is pathetic. Why can't a school with the name recognition that Georgia has field a decent basketball team? Why can't elite relate to the team with the hoops? This has been a long suffering issue for the dawgs and forgive me if I don't feel excited to see that this team may squeak into the NIT by the narrowest of margins, just to be blown out and be one and done. Ridiculous. I know Kirby is busy, but certainly he could do a better job than these wannabes that keep showing up as Georgia's BB coach - and yes, I KNOW that Kirby doesn't coach basketball. Maybe his wife is the answer, she was a pretty good player back in the day, lol.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 16

@truthteller If Georgia invested as much money into basketball players as it does football players, it could field an NCAA tourney team. You get what you pay for. The UGA quarterback has an NIL/collective package worth more than the entire basketball roster combined. Priorities. Football generates a TON more revenue, so it's a smarter investment. Georgia basketball is getting more competitive and made strides this season. Making the NIT would be a positive step, but certainly is not the goal.

• Options
    GramsterGramster Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

If White had more than a 1 page playbook with the talent he has, we'd be awaiting the announcement of a big dance slot instead of begging to please let us in the prestigious NIT. Either way I don't think it matters, CMW is the master of the 2nd half non-adjustment.

Full disclaimer: The playbook is 3 pages, I forgot the play where you get a steal and take it to the hoop hard against 3 defenders and throw up a brick with 15 seconds left when trailing by 3, oh, and the other play where you go to man defense when zone is working so well.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Gramster,

Thank you for pointing out Coach White's reluctance to play zone. I have stated the same thing on this site and others. He keeps playing man as if we have a rim protector....we don't. Opposing guards walk down our lane and choose what shot they want like it's a grocery store aisle and for some reason we keep playing man. We actually played more zone against Mizzou and Florida than we have all season but for some reason he went back to man against Florida, and we ended up losing the game. The zone is what got us back in the game in the first half and helped us get an 8-point lead. Until we get better rim protection, play more zone and make teams beat us from the perimeter. This team was talented enough to make the tournament, but Coach White gave away at least 4 games by staying with man defense. Other teams saw they could not keep Demary, Hill, and Thomasson out of their lane so they went zone and changed the outcome. I am slowing edging toward the door to get off of the Mike White bandwagon.

• Options
    Georgia67Georgia67 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭ Junior

@truthteller, would be a hoot to see CKS coach our Hoop Dawgs. They might not get better at basketball, but they would be the fittest, toughest, bleed for each brotherhood of a basketball team in country, lol.

Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

This year’s UGA basketball team does not deserve to go to any post season tournament due to their total incompetence. UGA senior administration officials have succeeded in hiring another basketball clown coach, making him a multimillionaire in the process. UF was actively trying to fire him when UGA hired him. Unbelievable…

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 16

As much as I love UGA, the men's basketball team does not deserve a tournament bid to the YMCA open, much less the NIT. Why would a team look forward to playing 1 game and going home? Much better, and more deserving teams that should get an invite before UGA is even brought into the conversation about receiving an invite.

• Options
    edited March 16

Mike, there's not a college in the NCAA that spends as much on basketball, as they do football, not 1.I guarantee you, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky don't..(imagine how good they'd be, if they did the same thing you say UGA could do to be a tourney team..spend millions). None of the other SEC schools pump millions upon millions of dollars into their basketball programs either, as they do their football programs.Yet the 4 teams I listed above, always win 20+ games every season, and make the only tourney that really matters, and sometimes win National Championships in the process .There's not 1 reason why UGA can't do the same.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@1SICemDAWGS1 True, but Georgia's basketball spending is nowhere close to Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Florida, Auburn, LSU or Alabama -- the teams you are trying to pass up. Georgia is buying players that are backups from other programs or players who starred at anonymous small schools and were passed up by majors earlier in their careers. It's kind of like how UGA football players who don't start get NIL deals at places like Purdue or Arkansas. Georgia has never put a real emphasis on basketball, and I suspect part of the reason is how dirty of a sport it has been in terms of the AAU payoffs and players being bought and directed to certain "shoe" schools early in their careers. It hit too close to home for UGA to risk any type of investigation just to win in basketball. Women's basketball there was enough in-state talent and considerably less money being thrown around to buy players.

• Options
    edited March 16

I do agree they've made strides under White. To me, to be competitive, you have to be consistent. I've watched UGA several times this season, start a game playing like a tourney team, shooting lights out, building a double digit halftime lead, only to squander the lead in the 2nd half, and lose. Or, fall behind by a large deficit in the 1st half, show that flash of a top team, play like a tourney team in the 2nd half, make a furious rally, only to fall short. And if other schools are getting better players by spending more, that blame falls on UGA school administrators for not wanting to pay out the money to be a truly competitive team. Like you said, you get what you pay for, don't spend $2 and expect a $100 worth of product, that doesn't happen. It's as if UGA's top decision makers feel mens basketball is just an u-g-l-y stepsister to football. Until they actually start getting serious about producing a competitive basketball program on a consistent basis, I'm afraid we'll continue to see an average men's basketball program in the future.