Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN outlines why Gunner Stockton must make a ‘necessary jump’ for Georgia quarterback room

SystemSystem Posts: 10,462 admin
edited March 18 in Article commenting
imageESPN outlines why Gunner Stockton must make a ‘necessary jump’ for Georgia quarterback room

ATHENS — Georgia’s current quarterback situation is very well-established. Carson Beck will be the team’s starting quarterback, as he returns for his second year as the team’s starting quarterback.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 18

I've seen good things from Stockton and he definitely had lots of type early on with many people believing he was better than Vandagriff. There's not a reason for concern - EVERYBODY thought that Beck was no where close to being ready prior to last season and fully expected him to transfer. He showed everybody wrong. Puglisi should show strong growth and I expect us to be quite settled at QB.

Now, I would like to see us really excel at the WR position. That's something our program has never really had.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 18

Honestly, going forward any team that is going to make it deep into the playoffs is going to do it behind an experienced QB. I do not think any backup QB that has to come in and take over mid-season is going to have the chops or playing time to take a team into and through the playoffs. Matchups are getting tougher, and with more games there will be more injuries. With all the reads & passing skills required, mental toughness, and split second decisions needed a backup that has not seen significant playing time will probably struggle. I see the transfer portal being key to getting that experience most years - instead of relying on developing a QB to try and take over. Teams simply do not have the luxury of time any longer if they want to make a run at a Natty. We aren't competing in the easy SEC East any longer, and we will face tougher competition every year going forward. College football is now a free agency, and the key positions may be filled with more experienced transfer portal players than recruits within a few years.

Kirby is already looking for his next starting QB. Baring an unforeseen injury to the starter, there is a decent chance that neither Stockton nor Puglisi ends up being a starting QB for Georgia.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With recent events of TP and NIL the idea of a QB waiting 3-4 years years to get their start at QB will be few and far between. Everything is accelerated now. Also, the idea of a newbie(starting the season as a first time starter) leading your team through the new playoff gauntlet to a NC will be virtually impossible. Beck couldn't make it past BAMA in the SECC game even with his talent and being in the system for 3 years(not laying the blame just on him, just pointing out the fact). WHich perhaps means that the top teams when possible and needed will reach into the TP and pull in experienced talented QB's from schools that aren't going anywhere.

I realize that's not the "UGA way" and if other schools were just developing their HS recruited QB's over 3-4 years too, then there's no problem. But I guess CKS will have to play the game too of taking an experienced talented proven QB versus the guy that's been patiently waiting his turn to start but doesn't give you the best option of running the table.

I like GS. BUt if I had the option to pull in a 2-3 year starter with a proven track record of being a really good QB from another program, versus starting GS for the 1st time and believing he could take me all the way, then don't you have to make that move, when BAMA or Ohio St are coming to play you with proven experienced QB's that transferred into them and not those that they developed 2-3 years in their system?

I think as a coach you would really have to see something special(not just he's a good QB) in a homegrown and developing QB to give him the start in the new wild wild west, especially when you have the talent on the team to go all the way.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MontanaDawg

I honestly had not read your post when Ibegan writing mine. Great minds, I guess.