Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Julio Humphrey shares why he flirted with the transfer portal but remained at Georgia

SystemSystem Posts: 10,458 admin
edited March 26 in Article commenting
imageJulio Humphrey shares why he flirted with the transfer portal but remained at Georgia

ATHENS — Julio Humphrey wanted to clear up any confusion.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ok, so upfront I'm a Dawg fan. But ignoring my own desires, stick with the best coaches around. Your future is very bright. I would focus on school, technique, and a good financial advisor. Get some Jesus and help others. The rest will take care of itself.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's not good to lose blue-chip prospects to nothing more than a bigger NIL deal; but I truly believe a 4-star or even some 3-star who's willing to earn it (not get a guaranteed starter position) who values development over a slightly bigger NIL deal, is going to be the better player for Georgia as an end product.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A solid player showing some real maturity as Humphrey is generally makes the right choices. He did and remained with Georgia. This is the character of player UGA needs as a leader.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"one of them is going to also play STAR." CKS. Hmmmm, that is a puzzling statement by CKS. Back up/cross trained STAR? Are the reserve S's not up to the task of playing the STAR?

The STAR is expected to be Aguero. STAR is more of a roving S/LB position. Cover the TE. Support the run w/some thump. Usually the STAR is a S not a CB. Now there may be some strict passing situations (3rd and long, 5 wide) where you want a CB in the STAR position. But those would be the exception rather than the rule. None of the UGA CB's has Lassiter like ability in run support.

• Options
    PappyDawg27PappyDawg27 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

"Juilo" Humphrey??

Really, Connor? Do you even know how to spell your own name? I see you misspell 'Georgia' often. Check your stuff every now and then, dipstick.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 26

It explains in the 1st paragraph about "Julio" Humphrey, and how that came about. Quintorris Lopez "Julio" Jones Jr., better known as Julio Jones, was his favorite player, so he was tagged with the name Julio..read before you criticize.

• Options
    egdawgsegdawgs Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Thanks for staying Humphrey, your speed gets you more playing time. You looked good last year before your injury. Keep on chopping.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm so glad he stayed, he's a difference maker as a CB.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SmartsTheMan Excellent point! When you consider the development process at UGA, the 4-star player status can be elevated to 4.5 or even 5 by just being in the UGA program. We've seen this demonstrated by multiple players every season. There should be a conversion chart that shows what a 3 or 4-star player is actually ranked depending upon which football program he chooses.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stories like this remind you that these are still children.. Just missing home and wanting to be around their support system.

I think a great deal of us went through that feeling the first year or two away...

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Eventually, the NIL is going to become a bigger and bigger part of the recruiting. If UGA is going to be behind on NIL, it's going to be a big test to see how good CKS can do without top 3 classes consistently.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everyone thinks about NIL from a cash viewpoint. It’s cars, clothes, jewelry, condos, & much more. Many kids are having their family & support team brought in for every game home & away. Airfare, hotels, meals, tickets, etc… For most college kids, seeing the family every week during the season would cramp their style. Bottom line is they don’t necessarily have to be lonely any longer.

In the end there will have to be a system that limits NIL for incoming freshman. The big payout needs to go to kids that have earned the reward not to a 17-18 year old kid that’s been playing against high school kds the majority of which 99% will never put on a uniform again after graduation.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You may be right in thinking Georgia football will eventually have to be a major league NIL contestant. I hope not.

Kirby has long recruited for a certain type of talented athlete, going for character, going for players who embrace the culture at UGA, finding players who want to embrace the workload, and the intensity of the training program, etc. I hope this continues, successfully continues, without the necessity to get into NIL bidding wars.

If anybody can make it work Kirby can.

Go, Dawgs!