Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia defensive line: One year later, still searching for train wreckers, havoc makers?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited March 28 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia defensive line: One year later, still searching for train wreckers, havoc makers?

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart has yet to mention any “train wreckers” or “havoc makers” on the defensive line this spring.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    crazygto715crazygto715 Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

well this is a little disappointing. Hopefully people step up and turn this around

• Options
    SloanDawgSloanDawg Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore

Recall Pollock saying interior DL were the easiest to recruit. But again, not many have a motor like he had.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 29

6'5", 350 lb, sub 4.8 40 yd, agile, athletic, animals are NOT easy to come by...anywhere. And, those are the kind of players we're talkin' bout....Difference Makers and People eaters.

It took Kirby, what?...2 or 3 years to build 4 Frankenstein Monsters...Trayvon Walker, Channing Tindall, Devante Wyatt, and Jordan Davis. None of whom, was on anybody's radar, 2 yrs prior. The one that WAS...Jermaine Johnson..."transferred out" the year before UGA took over CFB.

Yeah...they flashed and Dawg fans knew em. But, they didn't "come together" and learn how to be great...until 2021. It's a "different game", they're playing, in Athens, now. The only other people that knew how to play that game,...no longer coach CFB. That leaves UGA on the mountain top, alone. Everybody is coming after THEM DAWGS in 2024. You can bet that. Lol

Now...."Everybody" in the Bulldog organization, understands what it takes...to be great. It's fun...when everybody is "bought-in". Brinson and Stackhouse returning, is a scary prospect for the rest of the SEC. This is gonna be a big-time year, for both those guys...if things go as planned and they stay healthy.

Brinson appears quicker off the snap with fast strong hands, which makes him a better pass rusher [IMO], if he doesn't have to deal with double and triple teams. I like some of his instincts.

With "Man-Mountain Stackhouse" eating up opposition manpower, and drawing extra attention,....it should open rushing lanes for Brinson and the LB's. Especially, with the likes of "CJ Allen and the Gang" playing those oldies from Queen..."We Will Rock You" & "We Are The Champions". Lol

I expect the usual annual improvements from the likes of Brinson and Stackhouse. Carter, Wyatt & Davis had some improving to do, before acquiring Monster Draft Pick status. Stackhouse and Brinson are as fortunate as UGA...in that they get one extra year, to focus on nothing, but...development and technique.

I think, last year...those two guys may have still been finding themselves in the defense. Still getting some seasoning. Afterall...the guys that played ahead of em, the previous 2 yrs, didn't leave many "quality" reps on the table for the backup, backups.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 I think you covered it really well, and I'm excited to see how it plays out! I believe we need Brinson or Stackhouse (or both) to draw the double-team in order to free up the lLB's. That was an issue last year that will need to be improved upon. I believe, as you have stated in your post, that they will emerge as game wreckers and an absolute nightmare for opposing OC's.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Feels like 2022 pre-season to me. I have a good feeling about this year.

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

I recognized last year that the Dawgs didn't have the same level of talent on the Dline as the '21 and '22 teams, and that played out throughout the year, and obviously in the SEC championship. As a fan of not only the Dawgs but also football, I realize that it's remarkable that they had five first-round picks (including Nolan Smith) off the line in two years. Stackhouse and Brinson are good rotational guys, but I haven't seen an interior Dlineman who can take over a series like Davis, Wyatt, and Carter. Therefore, it's up to Smart and the coaching staff to adjust the defense and use scheme to get pressure on the opposing QB and shut down the QB runs that hurt them so badly last year. I'm hopeful that some of the young guys will develop into dominant players, but hope isn't a plan.