Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: Carson Beck has ‘bit of arrogance,’ time to ‘let the cat go play’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited March 30 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart: Carson Beck has ‘bit of arrogance,’ time to ‘let the cat go play’

ATHENS — Carson Beck’s swagger is very real, to the extent Kirby Smart recognizes and understands the degree of value to it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, Beck needs to keep the ego on the right side of arrogance… confidence without rat poison. We don't need anyone yelling "Humble Yourself!" at Beck as Georgia LB Davin Bellamy did at Baker Mayfield after the 2018 Rose Bowl. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best observation in this article: “Georgia could have given Beck more opportunities to make plays in the SEC Championship Game, too.” You think? Scored very easily on first drive then play calling went ultra conservative until we got behind. Then scored again fairly easily. Could have been scoring like that in the second and third quarters. Game should not have even been close.
    I went horse yelling at Bobo through my TV. Very, very frustrating.

• Options
    randomsportsfanrandomsportsfan Posts: 24 ✭ Freshman
    edited March 30

Edit: to the guys who have downvoted me already, I see that you have some magical wondrous formula for beating better players with lesser ones. Well how about this: go into coaching! You'll put all the coaching records of guys like John Heisman, Pop Warner, Nick Saban, Eddie Robinson etc. to shame.

Yeah, sure. Alabama sent two edge rushers (10 sacks and 8 sacks) to the combine as well as a very good DT (7 sacks, 11 tackles for loss) plus 2 CBs (Terrion Arnold, Kool-Aid McKinstry) who will be off the board by pick 50, and that doesn't even include the guys who weren't draft eligible like safeties future 1st rounder Caleb Downs and future 3rd rounder Malachi Moore. Alabama won 12 games and took national champs Michigan to OT for a reason. If you think that UGA could have thrown the ball 50 times without Alabama adjusting by pinning their ears back and mixing up coverages, resulting in a ton of sacks and turnovers, you aren't being serious.

Maybe this would have been a good strategy with Brock Bowers and Ladd McConkey healthy. As it was, you had a bunch of injured, average and inexperienced WRs going against a future NFL secondary. Yes, Texas hammered Alabama through the air. The difference? Texas is A LOT better at tailback than UGA is now - Daijuan Edwards would have been 5th string for UGA in 2017 and 3rd string in 2018 - which forced Alabama to respect their running game even when Texas wasn't running the football. Plus their 2 first round draft picks at WR (Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy) were actually healthy for that game, as were 3rd WR Sanders and TE Whittington.

If UGA does the same gameplan against Alabama in the SEC title game that they used to open the season against Oregon in 2022 they get eaten alive. Because of injuries and attrition, UGA's OL, WRs, TEs and RBs were nowhere near as good in the 2023 SECCG as they were at any point in 2022. If throwing the ball 50 times was the way to overcome talent deficiences, everyone would do it. Vanderbilt and the service academies would throw it 70 times a game.

Michigan was so loaded with kids they have stacked up from the transfer portal over the years that they had an unreal 18 guys at the combine. They are going to break the draft record that UGA set in 2022, though they won't have as many #1 picks. Bama took them to OT and with just a bit more luck could have won that game. UGA had as much chance to beat them without a healthy Bowers and McConkey as Alabama had of beating UGA in the title game without Jameson Williams and John Metchie. The people who wanted UGA to throw all those times are pretending as if guys like Oscar Delp, Rosemy-Jacksaint and Rara Thomas were going to all of a sudden go off for 120 yards and 2 TDs just by UGA throwing the ball to them more.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I said in the days leading up to the SECC game that we were never going to beat BAMA running the ball and our best chance was to unleash CB and the passing attack. We came out on that 1st drive passing it all around and I thought OK here we go! After that 1st drive we ran more running plays in the 1st half than throwing it, to no avail. THe 2nd half, even with receivers playing through injuries we threw it more than ran it(about twice as much) and scored 2 TD's.

Even Nick Saban reportedly said that on the first drive they loaded the box worried that we would be able to run it affectively against them, but soon went back to their base defense realizing we wouldn't be able to beat them on the ground. Even though that made us somewhat one dimensional, passing it was our only chance as their D-line was having their way with our O-line against the run. I believe we averaged 2.5 yards per run or less against them.

Part of being a great OC is to know how you match up best against the opponent and what gives you the best shot at winning and playing accordingly.

CB through it 29 times that game. If he throws it another 7-8 times spreading it around to more receivers, especially in the first half, instead of toss sweeps and inside runs that went nowhere, we win IMHO.

• Options
    FishingDawgFishingDawg Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

To the Bobo haters, if you were one of my friends or a former teammate, I would tell you to get your head out of your as*, but you're not, so here's my statement to you: Kirby has the final say! The brain trust of any team will do what they think is best for the team and will give them the best chance to win. At some point good teams get an attitude adjustment and sometimes it is too late. If you want to blame anyone, blame Kirby. If you choose that path, good luck trying to not look like an idiot. GO DAWGS!