Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football encouraged by Gunner Stockton and his improvements this spring

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited April 3 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football encouraged by Gunner Stockton and his improvements this spring

ATHENS — Brett Thorson doesn’t get to go home for Christmas. Being from Australia and having to ship off to a bowl or College Football Playoff game shortly after means he usually spends the holidays with someone else.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Georgia has a great setup at QB. I can imagine that the coaches really want that 4th qb, especially with the freshman hurt. But, they have the next three qb's lined up perfectly.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 3

@jdatl3...I'm not sure what Kirby's plans are for next season at QB, but I think it's no better than 50-50 that either Stockton or Puglisi is our starting QB. We've seen Oregon, Ohio State, and other top teams go outside their programs for their starting QB this year. And most of those programs have 4 and 5 star guys sitting in the wings. The Dawgs have done it as well previously with Daniels and the guy from Wake Forest. Neither one of those guys panned out as planned, but I'm not convinced by any stretch of the imagination that Smart won't go to the portal for our next QB. Time will tell. If Stockton doesn't get some meaningful game playing time this season then odds aren't in his favor. IMHO, with the ever more challenging regular season and expanded playoffs, teams need to hit the ground running with experience and talent at the helm.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like Montana is not to high on Gunner. 1st, Gunner is one of those 4 star guys waiting in the wings. Gunner was highly rated out of high school, higher than Carson out of high school, in fact earlier in high school he was rated at or near the top. 2nd, Carson didn't have many meaningful snaps before he took over last year..If you go back and look at Gunner's high school tape you will see an athletic QB, not lacking in confidence. I will not be surprised to see a portal QB added, but I also will not be surprised if they sit behind Gunner.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 3

@CWdawg1979...honestly, I have no opinion on Gunner, because no one has seen him play much at all in a game. He's an unknown at this point when it comes to being a starter in a real game. He's a highly regarded recruit just like all these 4 and 5 star guys sitting in the wings on all these teams. My comments have nothing to do with his talent. I'm simply talking the reality of the college football world and specifically the QB position.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess my main point was the same can be said about Carson as he sat behind Stetson.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 3

I really hope Georgia develops these exceptional recruits to the point they stick around and earn a starting role… and then of course go on to deliver big-time impact on the field as their audition for The League. I really respect professional baseball teams who place a premium on their farm system and then succeed with that talent versus trying to buy a championship with overpaid free agents. In college football, it'll be hard to sustain the "culture" we so often refer to with the Georgia program if it's a revolving door of portals. And as we know, that Georgia culture has been the X-factor of its success in recent years… talent, alone, usually isn't enough. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m always a Team first guy, but I’m really rooting for Gunner. As has already been posted he was highly rated coming out of HS, he’s been at UGA long enough now that he should throughly know the playbook. He’s got plenty of athleticism that pretty obvious even from the limited time we’ve seen him.

I’m not opposed to Kirby bringing in another QB via the portal, but I’d want it to be Shown clearly that he is indeed the better QB before he would be listed as the number one QB over Stockton or Pugs to for that matter.

But I don’t think there’s any reason for worry in that regard as Kirby will select who he absolutely believes is the best man for the job. When Beck leaves, Gunner will just have to step up and plant himself in the position and I think he can and will.

Never had the pleasure and honor of meeting him in person but had a nice chat with Gunner’s Dad by phone, he’s a Very nice gentleman and I really enjoyed our chat. Hope to meet him in the future.

Tell y’all this Gunner Loves UGA !! And Gunner’s Dad is sure nuff proud of him !! Gunner’s Dad is in the Ga. Southern Hall Of Fame as he was a star football player at that program, I can’t remember which position he played.

My wife and I just moved to Rabun County a couple years ago. The Stockton family are very well thought of. And I’ve heard many times that Gunner is the best QB they’ve ever had. Though it’s a small school it’s a highly competitive school, either in or knocking on the door of championships on a pretty regular basis.

Keep in mind Herschel Walker and Stetson Bennett came from small schools. Though he’s moved on to KY Brock Vandergriff came from a smaller school than Gunner. BVG school was Class A and Gunner’s was Class 2A.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 4

IMO, Navy...if Kirby brings in another QB...it's so he can field a “4th” offense at practice. In fact...I think he stated as much a couple of months ago. So, everybody gets quality reps. That's part of his sales pitch to recruits. You won't play against a better team, than you practice “against” everyday at UGA.

I highly doubt there's quarterback in the Country, that can possibly, step in and run Bobo's offense, better than Beck & Stockton. As far as the next 2 years go...those are your “guys.” After that, is anybody's guess...but, "Puglisi" would be a better guess than most.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am not concerned with Gunnar running our offense and being exceptional. He's a great qb. Think Aaron Murray. If Aaron Murray had the supporting cast we have now he would have won a NC and we came close to getting into that game vs. ND where I'm sure we would have won. Gunnar is going to be great and I think we win it all with him in the next 2 years. We will be loaded at wr and rb and the line will be stout. Our defense will be even better next year than this year. Absolutely no reason we should not win it all this year and at least once in the following 2.