Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia running back Andrew Paul plans to enter transfer portal

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited April 15 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia running back Andrew Paul plans to enter transfer portal

ATHENS — The transfer portal is set to open on Tuesday, and Georgia appears to be losing one of its running backs as Andrew Paul plans to enter the transfer portal. Paul shared the news announcement via his Instagram account.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 15

Agreed… looked really good Saturday, and by all accounts turned heads early in Athens. He'lll surely make another team notably better. Just too many studs in the stable. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's a stud in a room full of studs. I hate it he had the ACL. Just hope he doesn't go to a rival.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

more opportunity for young guys and our depth like Cash “that kids MONEY” Jones. Flippin hate to see the kid go though. Another weird one where we’ll always wonder “what if that injury didn’t happen”.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck in your future young man..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He is behind other "studs" with that injury last year….so off he goes. Really too bad.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg888…don't worry, during this transfer window he can't transfer to any other SEC school without sitting out a year. And we know he is not going to do that considering how long he has waited to play.

Get used to this kind of thing folks…just the new free agency world of college football. The carousel keeps moving until everyone gets off and others get on.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 15

This is a very big loss. 2 years removed from ACL surgery he should be back to 100% if not better due to the specific legs rehabilitation (many ACL/leg rehab strengthening exercises are done with both legs). He showed well in the G Day game.

Today APaul is probably the best all around RB on the UGA roster. Also leaves UGA very short handed during the ETN suspension. He is turning his back on a big role on this team. I hope he reconsiders.

Cannot transfer w/in the SEC. Transfer "home" to TX (TCU, SMU, TTech, Hou) . Was initially committed to Clemson before getting the UGA offer.

• Options
    ChiefChief Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited April 15

If you want to play for the #1 team in the nation you have to be willing to compete with the big boys. Good luck elsewhere. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 360 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hate to see him transfer. I could see him taking off on some good runs this season. Good luck to you young man.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"It’s really one of those things of, ‘do you want to be here? Or do you not?’ Because they know how we do things by now. They all know. That was the easier practice we’ve had all spring."_____CKS

IMO...This was Kirby's way of saying, Paul didn't perform consistently enough, to move up the depth chart. The Spring Game was the "easiest" practice of the whole Spring package and Paul, among others enjoyed it.

My guess is...Paul knew he would be transferring before the Spring Game. More than likely...the coaching staff did too...and, tried to help him find a new home, by feeding the ball to him. Paul gave his opportunities everything he had, in that scrimmage. He was impressive. Maybe, if he had been doing that consistently...playing-time wouldn't be an issue with him, now.

In any case...Saturday was the best effort and performance, I've seen out of Paul, yet. Granted...that's a small sample size. I'll still enjoy watching him develop. If he has the heart…this won't be the last we hear from him, cause he's talented and athletic. But, that's not enough to be a Dawg.

Too bad, about the scholarship situation. It gives others reason to quit on themselves...knowing two guys still need to be "cut"...[I assume]. A mustard seed of self-doubt, can turn into a mountain of quit. Lol

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hate to see him go, but once Nate Frazier hits campus, Paul would most likely drop a spot on the depth chart. Frazier will be a well rounded and versatile back. Once he picks up blocking skills he will be hard to keep off the field. As much weight as Kirby places on running backs blocking and protecting the passer, I wonder if that was an issue for Paul. His running was improved in the spring game compared to last year, but I can't speak to his QB protection. I wish him luck in the future.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Nate Frazier will make us remember what it was like to have a bona fide blue chipper. Now Paul looked really really good but didn't separate himself from Etienne or Chauncy. Slightly better than Chauncy who is 2 years younger and not as good as Etienne in the rb receiving game imo.

A team out there is really getting a good back. Paul would be top 2 running back on most teams. Rod Robinson brings a different element than Paul so that is why he was 3rd on the depth chart. The other thing is now with the portal if we don't give Frazier carries he will leave. With the portal you have to play the 5 star kids.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hate to see him leave. As a runner he’s looked really good when given the opportunity. Good speed and runs hard. There must be something I’m missing. Just was expecting good things from him this coming season.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's no easy task to become a DGD…..not many elite players can surrender self for TEAM and that is just one requirement to be a Dawg. Another is competitive drive….so much easier to win against inferior talent…..never the case at UGA as you are in a pool of superior talent and there is never a day off….so when that reality hits the TP has made jumping ship an after though. I really suspect Paul to become a Horned Frog, with lots of support in the DFW area. As for the best all round RB, IMHO, Cash is my pick based on his 23 resume……we'll see who pans out in 24……GOOOOO DAWGS, SICEM!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 15

@BigDawg61

…”My guess is...Paul knew he would be transferring before the Spring Game. More than likely...the coaching staff did too...and, tried to help him find a new home, by feeding the ball to him. Paul gave his opportunities everything he had, in that scrimmage. He was impressive. Maybe, if he had been doing that consistently...playing-time wouldn't be an issue with him, now.scrimmage. He was impressive. Maybe, if he had been doing that consistently...playing-time wouldn't be an issue with him, now…,”

I agree. I’ve heard some insiders talk about that the coaches not only know whose leaving. But who they are getting before the portal opens.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dang. Was excited to get him back.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep…Lol....whatcha wanna bet…he winds up playing for Fran Brown [Syracuse], Del McGee [GAST], Sam Pittman [ARK]or Dan Lanning [ORE]. Just one more blossom on the "Kirby Tree". And, we all know…the bloom never falls far from the tree in calm weather.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He will not follow Pittman to Arkansas. He would have to sit out a year if he transfers to an SEC team during this portal window(different than earlier portal windows).

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Being on a potential NC winning team and all that goes with the playoffs and such, his best bet for exposure would be to stay here and accept whatever carries he would get. WHo knows how many that would be, but it wouldn't be nothing. While I hope all the RB's remain healthy, we all know there's slim chance of that happening. That to say between blowout games where you take your starters out when the opposing team's defense is worn down and possible injuries, there's a very good chance he would of had several opportunities to showcase his talents.