Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football hot after G-Day, but Kirby Smart finds cold spots, too

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited April 15 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football hot after G-Day, but Kirby Smart finds cold spots, too

ATHENS —Kirby Smart walked away from G-Day feeling good about his team, even with the uncertainty of portal action ahead.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hate seeing the "Cold" comments on the defense - especially the LBs and secondary. Gotta see a big improvement in the D if we want to be truly successful this season.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Andrew Paul leaving is a bit stunning - not sure who's advice he's following. He looked fantastic, and I'm sure his playing time will follow. Why leave the best coaching staff in college football? Georgia always rotates 3 backs, and they always go high in the draft. Seemed like his year. I think these kids are hurting themselves with the transfer portal temptation.

I was particularly proud of Xzavier Mcleod DL. He looked like he worked into the rotation well. I hope he can keep it together on and off the field. The NFL will love that.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 363 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby is trying to motivate the LBs to play even harder and smarter.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Something we should remember my fellow Dawgs fans, is that we’re not the only team replacing players that have gone on for what ever reasons. Just my humble opinion as I’m sure not a coach or expert. But the tie score might be a good thing. Shows that the Offense and Defense are about on par, and Both are pretty good.

Also as I said on another thread, I think Gunner Stockton will be Very, Very sufficient as backup to Beck this year. And I think for someone to beat him out as number one next year they better be Really, Really good !! Gunner did pretty good while not being allowed to use his legs which are a vital part of what he brings to the table. In my humble view Gunner is a bigger body and stronger arm version of Stets !!
    Very proud of Beck to. I wish Pugs could have played. As time goes on I bet Ginn will develop into at a minimum a decent SEC level QB. It’d be nice to get a high quality QB out of the portal, but For Now and just speaking for me I’m not sweating it much.
    Pugs should be healthy by season start, so in my humble view we’ve got 4 great QBs. Let’s face it if injuries get the team down to the number four QB your championship season is probably out the window anyway, I’m referring to This season.

But I fully understand that KS has to prepare early for the 2025 season and even the 2026 season. It’ll all shuffle out in the long run. I think we have a Very good Championship contending team !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The team looks great. Cornerback is a concern for me only from the standpoint that the other elite teams have great wide receivers so we really need 4 or 5 guys to be excellent at coverage. Not concerned about 9 out of our 12 games (or the majority of playoff teams) but the other 3 (solid playoff contenders) this could be an issue. Now if our DL takes a step up which I think they will then this will help.

The other issue I see is playmakers. When Lovett, Young, Delp and Bell are going against top tier cornerbacks from Bama and Texas can they get open? Once again not concerned about the majority of our opponents but we will know a lot after the first 4 games. Clemson is suppossed to have a very very good defense so it should be a good test for us. Having a stud at running back who can also catch the ball out of the flat would help us a lot.

Team looks like a contender but we need better play from the DL and a couple guys to step up big at the wide receiver spot. Plus give me a running back who can catch and run. Is that asking too much?