Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

As Georgia looks for quarterback help in transfer portal, Jaden Rashada checks a lot of boxes

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited April 19 in Article commenting
imageAs Georgia looks for quarterback help in transfer portal, Jaden Rashada checks a lot of boxes

ATHENS — Kirby Smart has made it very obvious he would like to have a fourth scholarship quarterback on his roster.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 19

it might happen but I just can’t see a fit 1. Rashada wants to start in 2024 2. He seemed to be NIL first based on his HS recruitment

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 19

Thought the same thing… Cali guy who was all about NIL not long ago. But maybe he's evolved to the point that winning and developing while getting paid enough is sufficient until he hits the League jackpot a little further down the road. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It would be interesting to know if CKS and company recruited him during HS. I don't remember anything about him specifically, but I don't follow that closely unless it looks like they are coming to UGA. I think it might be tricky to attract a QB from the portal who knows he will not be competitive for the starting position in the 2024 season. I guess we'll know soon enough.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just for s.hits and grins. gaters would love it.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m a little confused with this one. Seems like he was one of the most “NIL obsessed” recruits in history a year ago when he cut the huge deal at Florida and then bailed when it fell apart. I also noticed that he didn’t even visit UGA during his recruitment and spent most of his time at Florida, Auburn, LSU and Miami. In fact, he committed to the Hurricanes for 6 months before flipping to the Lizards. He also attended 3 high schools. I get a little uneasy when recruits commit to 7 schools in less than 4-5 years (3 HS, Miami, Florida, Arizona State and the next one up). The good news is I’m confident Kirby and his crew will be looking at all these issues and we won’t offer if they are uncomfortable with his interpretation of commitment. In all fairness, many of these kids grow up quickly when they get out in the “real world” and mature so that may be the case with this young man. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't like that in a story about recruiting we even have to say NIL. Having that as criteria in making a decision is crazy. That tells me a kid is only about the "now" money and has no interest in growing for the "later" money. I'm not naive, I know how it works now but I hate that love of your school is no longer relevant.

I also don't get NIL. I understood it to be "Name, Image, Likeness" and was money that a student athlete earned for the use of their name, image or likeness. It was not intended as payment for attending. We used to call that aspect a "scholarship". Now Smart is saying he uses it as a reward.

Tell me again how that is different from the pros?

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This feels like a 1-year-prior raiola. Just about the same HS track record. Sure, he's talented, but just seems like a primadonna. I'd rather pass and give the opportunity to someone who really wants to be at uga. Plus, we're still over the scholarship limit at the moment, will we hear any news on that soon before Kirby starts adding?

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

So Kirby signed a Preferred Walk On QB, but doesn’t think he’s good enough to be our #4 QB?

What was the point of getting him to Athens?

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, we all knows how this plays out. We've had a lot of these type of QBs and it has never worked out. Not once.

Let him commit? Fine, but don't let it cause one of our dedicated QBs to leave.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 19

It seems like the chance to play now is what motivates a lot of players in the portal, and our QB situation doesn't lend itself to attracting such players. A JUCO transfer seems more realistic, but even there, a player with the upside we want likely will find a new team with a more direct path to playing time. This is going to be a tough hole to fill.

That said, if a third-string QB is our biggest need in the portal, then I feel really good about our roster. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    edited April 19

Per 24/7 UGA didn’t have any interest. But in 2022 , UGA Did recruit current Miami transfer Jacurri Brown.
    I believe a great DII QB or maybe even the kid from UNC might be willing to be developed.

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The article says he checks alot of boxes. Does that mean Kirby is interested? Sounds like he doesn't check other boxes. Not sure if this one goes anywhere. Maybe not fake news, but close.

• Options
    edited April 19

does it seem like Rashada is trolling this article and down voting any comment that doesn’t put him in a good place within Dawgnation?? As we all are basically saying the same. We trust CKS, but wouldn’t be our first choice as fans

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Without getting into personalities (NIL and all that), I see Connor's point: This young man does check a lot of boxes.

From a development/age standpoint, he fits right into the QB room. We have a good recruits from 2021, 2022 & 2024, and he would slip in there with comparable potential as the 2023 guy.

Here's what On3 said in its scouting report on him: Thinner-framed passer with impressive arm talent that keeps his cool when facing pressure. Has the arm strength to drive the ball downfield and into tight windows. Possesses the functional movement skills to escape the pass rush." etc.

His 2023 stats may not seem particularly impressive. But when you consider that he was a true freshman on a bad team, they seem to say that he has a high floor — not a low ceiling.

On the personality/NIL stuff: Yes, his NIL-driven recruitment saga is a red flag. But there are other data points. For example, On3 also says this: Also away from the field, Rashada spends time helping those in need, including feeding the homeless in his community. That sounds like very Georgia character to me.

Kirby and his assistants are pretty awesome at figuring out who fits the Bulldog culture, so I have complete faith that they'll weigh Rashada's plusses and minuses before trying to reel him in.

But even if UGA does go after Rashada, my biggest question is whether he'd even consider coming to UGA. Even though he didn't rock his freshman year like Maiava did, he seems to be in the same boat: A talented rising sophomore who might be more interested in playing time than in putting a premium on development as the third-stringer.

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

We live in a new world, "Play me or Trade me" Wait I don't have to wait for a trade I can just transfer, with my NIL money of course.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Injury plan B, if CB were to get injured, you would have not one but 2 QB's with some college real game experience. Guys no statue and he can wing it.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If he couldn't make it at AZ State, UGA won't do him any favors. I live in ASU country (Scottsdale) and their brand of football is little league compared to what the Dawgs have in Athens.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Someone on here had something in their Corn Flakes this morning as they have managed to down-vote every article….except for one. Coincidence? Maybe, but down-voting every comment, including the innocuous comments?