Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Bulldog Bites: Portal, NIL, GymDogs, UGA sports treasures

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited April 21 in Article commenting
imageBulldog Bites: Portal, NIL, GymDogs, UGA sports treasures

The Dawgs likely won’t see a major roster overhaul from the spring transfer portal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You know Bill, as crazy as this sounds, I'm ready for Stockton or someone to step up their game and possibly challenge Beck for the starting job. If Kirby ends up with no one but Beck playing almost all the snaps this year then where does that leave us going into next season with another brutal regular schedule? The portal for an experienced QB?

Arch Manning had one heck of a day yesterday in the Texas scrimmage and will be definitely challenging Ewers for the starting role this season. Manning threw for 355 yards and 3 TDs including a 75-yard pass on the first play! He was 19/26 passing with at least (4) of those incompletions dropped by receivers after hitting their hands. Sounds like he was a cool cucumber and made some great reads against a good defense.

Concerning the chaotic state of college football, all I can say is get used to the changing roster conditions and musical chairs. I do think collective bargaining and contracts is the only real way forward to bring some kind of status quo to the wild west of college football. I'm not against that kind of thing, because I think the writing is on the wall. Just getting super frustrated with the state of affairs won't do you any good. Change is the only constant. I also think revenue sharing might be part of the end product.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hear you. Unfortunately, Stockton not only doesn't seem ready to push on Beck, but ready for any bright lights just yet… unlike other top programs like Ohio State and Alabama whose QB 2s and 3s over the years seem ready for big games as soon as they're called on. Fortunately, there's still time, and Stockton couldn't have better development opps than practicing against his own team all week. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is no incentive to playing 1 QB this year. 1) Beck has enough game experience now that he can share game rep's. (unless CKS wants to run up Beck's personal stat's for draft/awards consideration) 2) In years past Beck, BVG and GS were all held out of games to preserve RS years and eligibility. GS has already had his RS season so he should get playing time in many (blowout) 4th Q's this season. Another season of game and practice rep's should elevate his play significantly. GS will need the whole season for "seasoning". Why you will not see Beck running at all in the run/pass option offense. Similar to how little Fromm ran in his last season at UGA.

What you have to worry about is GS running in mop up duty. Should he get hurt running, UGA would have a freshman at QB2 (as things currently stand).

Don't expect to see Puglisi in more than 4 games this year.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hopefully, Beck will not play complete games and there will be plenty of opportunity for the real competition…..between Gunner and Pugs……short of…."Heaven Forbid" injury, no one will over take Beck in 24. It's all about game management and leadership and Beck is the man……another hope is that games will go so well, that even Collin Drake and Sam Bush get a few snaps!

• Options

@UGADad20…You are correct, there is no real incentive to play one QB this year. But even Stockton has so little game experience that I can't see Kirby putting him unless, as you eluded, there are some times where he wants a running QB in there. But, if that's the case, then GS goes in and runs the ball when we need him to be passing and reading defenses. So really my concern is that Stockton only gets mop up duty and mostly meaningless snaps unless something unforeseen happens. Our schedule is so tough that I don't see Kirby putting in Stockton in any of our top matchups at all, but maybe I am wrong.

• Options
    edited April 21

Bill, to continue to add to my previous post below…as a follow up to the latest story that Jeff Sentell wrote today on Terry's flip earlier this year…

Just goes to show you how the lure of money can affect kid's decisions…for themselves AND their families. I suspect that Terry isn't done flipping. Henderson is a great coach, and Riley knows that he MUST spend the NIL dollars to lure defensive players especially. He's got to stop the bleeding and get USC back into the elite ranks. He may can develop QBs, but he hasn't figured out how to field a decent defense.

I think UGA will need to get on the NIL elite bandwagon if it wants to compete going forward. Development and the story that Kirby tells is impressive and can sway some guys to ride that train, but you're not going to get some of the cream of the crop without having BOTH a top NIL/Collectives package AND a top football program. The rules are changing and Kirby needs to change with them. Ohio State has got the best roster on paper this season - head to toe - including what should be a lights out defense. Day is in the same boat as Riley, but Day needs to bring home the bacon this year. It's put up or shut up time for the Buckeyes, and Day can thank NIL and their Collectives for the best opportunity that they have had in years to bring home a Natty.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 21

Good points. There may not be a lot of blowouts this season w/this schedule. Bringing GS in just to hand off doesn't really help him. He needs to play some if he is to be an effective starter in '25. I think he plays more than we have seen QB2 play the last few years. He will get good experience against good defenders at practice but will need game experience too. CKS has to get him in there or he could limit the ceiling of the '25 season.

Not sure I agree with your nil/UGA take. CKS will evolve but will UGA ever have the NIL resources of a TX or off field opportunities of a USC? NIL is a real pandora's box. Who do you pay? Who don't you pay? When do you pay them? I think we are already seeing CKS's evolving NIL strategy. Selective payees and hungry players that want UGA development. They may need more development but buy into the process for the right reasons. The next few years will tell us how much more, if any, CKS needs to evolve his approach.

There is more to a CFB player's success than HS stars and potential. CKS seems adept at identifying potential high achievers.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WHatever has to be done…don't know what that is… but it sure would be hard to see Terry go to any other school but UGA. He already looks like he could play in the NFL. If we would have had a more disruptive front 4 last year we win our 3rd straight Natty. Our hopes this year will rest on the same thing, I believe. Just can't allow the top DL talent in the state to leave for pie in the sky elsewhere. Someone should let Terry know if you don't have it in writing, it's just smoke.