Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Opinion: Georgia football QB transfer Jaden Rashada has boom-or-bust potential

SystemSystem Posts: 10,680 admin
edited May 10 in Article commenting
imageOpinion: Georgia football QB transfer Jaden Rashada has boom-or-bust potential

ATHENS — Georgia’s addition of Arizona State transfer and one-time Florida signee Jaden Rashada has a boom-or-bust element to it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In all fairness to this young man he didn’t arrive on campus at Arizona State until this past July 17th. He is still a true freshman and only played in 3 games. Also, he wasn’t surrounded by great talent like he will have at UGA and 2 of those games were against good opponents. We’ve had very few QBs who would have done much better under those circumstances. With that said, only time will tell and I wouldn’t worry about how he performed with a new team several months after arriving on campus. Go Dawgs and good luck Jaden!!!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

the Jamie Newman comparison is fair, but two different players and situations. Newman anticipated fighting for QB1 and Rashada for QB2. Unless Kirby brings in another transfer next summer OR clearly shows Puglisi ahead of him, then Rashada will stay and compete in 2025

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I tried to post what I'm about to say on the other story/article about how Kirby didn't have much to say about him to the folks at the golf tournamat as if that there was some veiled message there. First of all what's he going to say? Is he going to put alot of pressure on him by saying, he's a really talented guy and w're looking for big things out of him? Is he going to upset the apple-cart of GS and RP? Like he could just automatically leap-frog them? I don't think so. So, he said what he's been saying to the public. I want to have 4 guys on scholarship.

All these guys have great arms. All can move around a little in the pocket or take off and run if need be. BUt who is going to be the best leader, tactician, commit the fewest what were you thinking moments and who can win the team and the coaches over by their talent and confidence? THat will take time for Rashada and he knows that. But he for now he seems to be all- in in that regard. That can't help but be a plus for UGA.

The main thing I wanted to say is regardless of how little CKS has had to say about Rashada so far publicly, you know that he and CMB and whomever else involved examined his tape both college and HS and said, "This is the guy that we feel like we can develop and has a huge upside." THere were things they really liked about him and they no doubt told him so(just like with any recruit).

I don't think Rashada had to beg CKS to let him come to UGA and Kirby felt sorry for him and said "well, I guess you can come but don't expect anything because we have 2 back up guys in the system ahead of you and we owe it to them to let them go ahead of you." No! I'm quite sure told him to "come and compete.'

CKS has always said he will go with who gives the team the best chance to win. Now he hasn't always gotten that right, he is human(thinking of the kid with the head injury who started against Arkansas). But then later on he chose to stay with SB over JT, which against my wishes-LOL! , turned out to be the best decision.

• Options
    NikosZorbaNikosZorba Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

This is Smart’s dumbest move. Rashada is a born loser having only played in 3 games of college football. He had “unexplained injuries” for the rest of the season at Arizona State. He’s only looking for a high paying NIL gig at some rich school. His Florida NIL contract was a fraud and ASU couldn’t afford him so he bolted to Athens. He may show flashes of talent but he’s not sustainable or much of a leader to give the Bulldogs another championship. His stay at Georgia will be uneventful and short. Not too smart!

• Options
    WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 98 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am sure that Smart will take your opinions under consideration…..NOT! Dude, he is a kid trying to get better. Plenty of people have turned the careers around by getting a change of scenery. CTFO and let the kid grow with our team.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pretty sure he could go to a lesser school and start sooner and get a better NIL than coming to Athens and being the 4th QB on UGA's roster. But you do you.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Also agree with Mike in that Rashada is difficult to evaluate. Obviously needs to put some muscle on that 6’4” frame. He could turn out to be very good with his mobility, which, as Mike says, is what Kirby likes. Otherwise, there is no way Stetson beats out Carson. A key is whether Jaden is willing to wait his turn and continue to work hard to get better. That willingness factor is a big unknown. Only time will tell whether bringing Jaden on board was a good idea or not.

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 171 ✭✭✭ Junior

I love how keyboard warriors judge the best coach in the nation. LOL

• Options

Can you image him putting on 30 pounds, keeping his mobility. At 6-4 and 210/215 he would be a beast if his attitude is right

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Many said the same about Bennett and Beck as well. Neither set the world on fire in their first year. Both worked out quite well with a couple years of development. Judging Rashada as "a born loser" at this point is based on nothing but speculation. Or is it based on wants and wishes?

• Options
    sfalexansfalexan Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore

When CKS started Stetson I was one to wonder whether that was the right call. When he started Beck over Vandagriff last season, I again wondered aloud if that was the right call. At this point, I'm going to trust that he and Bobo might know a bit more about this whole football thing than I do. Taking a bet on a guy with a great frame, 4 years of eligibility, and a few games already in college football seems like a smart one. I'm not sure if Rashada will ever see the field for us, but if Coach says to have him on the team, I'm going to go with it.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Well we have three so we always want to have four quarterbacks,” Smart said. “That’s the goal, and we’re excited to have him.”

Stockton reiterated Kirby's statement when asked about Rashada's addition to the QB Room, plus he welcomed the competition. "Bring it on," he said.

I am going with Kirby on this one. Rashada will compete for No. 2 this season and maybe No. 1 next.

s'

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, as long as it doesn't cause one of our other QBs to transfer then I have no problem with him and hope he does well.

Do I think he will stay long? No. Will I root for him? Sure. We will reevaluate in a year.

• Options
    82Dawg82Dawg Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

My $0.02:

1. Kirby is the best in the business at player evaluation and roster management. He has done a masterful job at targeting players that fit the culture he has painstakingly built. Kirby believes the young man fits-based on his track record perhaps we should believe this as well.
    2. Jalen only played in 3 games as a Freshman. He got some live reps and didn't forfeit a year of eligibility. He and UGA could potentially benefit. All good.
    3. No program bats 1.000 on every player. Every player brought in is a potential star-every player is a potential Transfer Portal entry. No one knows with total certainty how a young man will develop. Jalen is not needed as an immediate starter, but he has a role to play. Coach Bobo will work to develop Jalen into being the best player he can be (just like anyone in the QB room). If it doesn't work out all you are out is the time you spent working with Jalen. This isn't any different than any other player.

With the role we are asking of him I see this as a low risk move with the potential for a substantial return. We should wish him well and hope he takes advantage of this opportunity.

• Options

would a lot of the concerns on this site be related to the fact that he chose the Gators. Or maybe an NIL RUMOR. All water under the bridge he’s not JT nor is he Jamie. He is Jaden. Let’s see what up this fall. GO DAWGS!!