Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

SEC takes deep dive on Dawgs fans’ game day experience in Athens

SystemSystem Posts: 10,992 admin
edited May 19 in Article commenting
imageSEC takes deep dive on Dawgs fans’ game day experience in Athens

UGA football attendance is strong, but there’s no guarantee it will remain that way.

Read the full story here

Comments

• crazygto715crazygto715 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

im glad they look into this but I wonder if anything will come from it.

I think it’s a major problem all major sports are going to start facing, especially in a difficult economy.
    you can’t help but feel ripped off the entire time, starting with misleading ticket prices that double in price at checkout when they gauge you with miscellaneous fees and taxes. Parking food and beer at outrageous prices.

But people keep paying (for now) so until they stop why would they make anything different

• Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bill-

You seem to center your article around fan satisfaction and you and your wife’s satisfaction and enjoyment of attending games as season ticket holders is much greater over watching it from home with family and friends. Then you cited the game against Notre Dame in 2019: “when the entire city of Athens was electric with excitement, remains one of the most thrilling days we’ve ever spent following the Dawgs”.

That game was 4 years and 8 months and 50+ games ago.

My question for you is this:

Is it okay for me to infer that you, as a YUGE fan of our Dawgs, has to attend 30+ home games in Athens every 4 to 5 years and incur all of the costs that go along with that in order to cite a home game in Athens you are happy you attended in person as opposed to watching from the comfort of your living room?

IMO that statement alone would reinforce the opinion it is much more enjoyable to watch our Dawgs at home over in person at the stadium.

I do not think the SEC or UGA is doing anything “above and beyond” to improve the in-person experience for an average fan that is not forking out $25k+ per season in booster donations & climate-controlled concierge serviced private seating tickets at the stadium.

• BillKingBillKing Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited May 19

To Gibroni88: I'm not sure whether I'm understanding your "question," but here goes: I cited the Notre Dame game as an example of the great matchups. I didn't say (nor did I mean to imply) that it is the only or most recent enjoyable home game. I think I made it pretty clear that when the opponent is an inferior one, as in UTMartin or UMass, I prefer watching the game on TV instead of making the trek to Athens. (As I say above, we share our tickets with friends and family when we don't attend. And, just to make it clear, we don't sit in climate-controlled concierge-serviced private seating; we're in the lower level of the stadium in those regular, hard bench seats that I discuss.) I made no assertion that UGA or the SEC are doing anything "above and beyond," to use your phrase, to improve the experience for the average fan. In fact, I criticized the closing of the bridge to pedestrian traffic. The fact that my wife and I are satisfied with the location of our seats is not any indication that we are satisfied with all of the game day experience, as anyone who read the above article should understand.

• BillKingBillKing Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited May 19

Just to make it clear: The SEC does this survey every year. This wasn't the first one.

• Lexi33Lexi33 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

As I get older I get less and less enjoyment out of going to night games against mediocre opponents.