Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Dawgs’ evolving football rivalries could expand beyond the SEC

SystemSystem Posts: 11,039 admin
edited May 26 in Article commenting
imageDawgs’ evolving football rivalries could expand beyond the SEC

The Georgia Bulldogs might be considered the rivals’ rival in college football.

Read the full story here

Comments

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 26

Still amongst my favorite writers on UGA football... always well thought-out and providing lots of different perspectives while never trying to "lead the witness" (i.e., force his own narrative).

All that said, I do wonder if the continually changing CFB landscape means there will ever be a true, long-term set of rivalries from the past decades. I had initially thought UGA-Texas might emerge into something new and sustainable, because both programs have amongst the best resources in all the "new" SEC.

However, now that CFB is officially becoming professional (that's what getting paid means), essentially NFL minor leagues, who knows? I'm guessing the SEC and others will again look very different in 5 years and completely so in 10 (maybe not even exist then?). It's all too hard to predict.

I suppose that means geography will again matter most, meaning GaTech will be a certainty for much longer as all the above continues to change and decisions go to the highest bidder.

No matter how it ends up, it'll be interesting to watch... I just hope the sport we all know and love doesn't completely change and lose its focus on student athletes, alumni, and local fans. I guess hope is all you can do.

Regardless, another great, thought-provoking Bill King article!

• bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 292 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Unless and until the dust settles around NIL and an unhinged transfer portal, they will be the greatest rivals to UGA and the entirety of college football.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 26

Bill, with us being in the East division for years we have always played the same teams every year. You could argue that almost every team in the East is our "rival". IMHO, Florida or Auburn used to be our biggest rivals because they are the ones that usually stood in our way to get to the SEC Championship. The games were always competitive and important in the scheme of things going forward. Kentucky and Tennessee were also key games in us getting to the SECCG.

BUT, without a doubt, as it stands today, our biggest rival BY FAR is Alabama. You simply cannot deny the fact that in the last 10 years it has been Bama that has been our biggest game, biggest test, most important game, and the deciding game on whether or not we play in the postseason. Those factors define our biggest rivalry for me. A loss to your biggest rival can make or break your season and it has for the Dawgs every single time we played Bama. Heck, just look at last year's SEC Championship if you need proof. There has been no bigger game nor bigger rivalry than Bama in the last 10 years and that will probably continue at least for a while.

But the rivalry landscape is going to change with so many different teams being played now and changing schedules every year in the SEC. And then if we move to the "Super League" of college football at some point then yes, maybe an Oregon, Ohio State, or even Michigan will be a big rivalry. Personally, I hope Texas becomes a major rivalry as well.