Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football comes in at No. 12 in ESPN’s newcomer rankings

SystemSystem Posts: 10,671 admin
edited May 27 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football comes in at No. 12 in ESPN’s newcomer rankings

Georgia is one of the most talented teams in the country. That’s a big reason why many see the Bulldogs as perhaps the No. 1 team in the country for the start of the 2024 college football season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

How do you have the number one recruiting class 2024 and bring in the top portal running back, TE etc… and them some worthless ESPN ranking gives UGA a 12 on the Newcomer watch… ESPN is ignorant and worthless!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ESPN has never been a UGA fan. UGA has the talent, coaching and innate drive to win another natty….nothing else matters a wit.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 27

UGA is bringing in 36 new players including the #1 recruiting class. Being ranked #12 by ESPN seems like these rankings were made by someone guided by "fantasy football" mentality who doesn't really know much about what UGA is bringing in.

That being said, in the past, it was always a bit of a reach to count on more than a couple of freshmen to become significantly more than rotational players.

It looks like that will change this season for UGA. Not necessarily because many freshmen are so good (a few are). But because UGA is this thin at a few spots and freshmen will have to step into those spots to sink or swim.

Safety immediately comes to mind and maybe CB. The Safety position is chock full of rotational players (after Starks) that haven't measured up to the skill levels of prior UGA S's. LaCounte, Cine, Chris Smith, Bullard, Tykee, etc. KJB will need to be a starter sooner rather than later. With the inexperience at CB the same may be said for ERIV.

On offense, with the loss or APaul, NFrazier will have the biggest freshman RB role since DSwift.

Any other freshmen that step up beyond special teams will be an added bonus. The freshmen LB's will be impactful on special teams.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I've stated before, The 24 Dawgs enter the season with more actual and potential talent at every position group than the the past two NC teams. Not to mention the best coaching staff in college football. ESPN is a joke. Seeking a legitimate, realistic evaluation of D-1 football teams in any given season from any ESPN 'analysis is like asking Ronald McDonald, The Whopper King and Dylan Mulvaney to rate 3 star Michelin restaurants. Funny thing but sure as shootin, come December/January 24/25 none of these ESPN svengali's will ever admit how ridiculous their pre season prognostications were.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hear that Ryan Day is still complaining about Bullard's hit on Harris-"They are hitting our boys too hard ref.".

I know the subject is ESPN and any real Dawg doesn't give a crap what ESPN says about our Dawgs.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like others, I don't understand this article. How is the #1 class the 12th best? It would help if the article explained what the "newcomer ranking" is supposed to be. Do they factor in likelihood of playing time?

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the articles title might be a bit misleading. Not sure, but maybe. This sounds like the incoming class's ranked for biggest effect on the 2024 playing season for their team? Since Georgia is so deep very few freshman will have an impact so that would make sense why they are 12th.

As far as this years class is concerned it may be the best #1 class (best class) we've ever signed. Hard to tell in an age of transfers and such but from what I can tell this freshman group could probably play as their own team and be top 20 right now. The linebackers are the best group we've ever gotten and that is saying something special. You may have 3 first round picks there along with the best rb and 4 or 5 draft picks on the DL, 4 or 5 draft picks on the OL, another 2-3 first day picks in the secondary. It is an unbelievable group. Unbelievable. So excited to watch these kids grow up and dominate.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Newcomers" counts transfers. So, for instance, OSU gets a bump up because they signed the #1 S and RB transfers. No real objective criteria other than prior year stats. Just like fantasy football. But this approach does not consider what is the actual impact on the locker room and team chemistry by bringing new players in over incumbent players.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I saw the headline containing espn, I read no further. The same espn "experts" who are consistently way off with their "expert" opinions..nothing but 🤡🤡🤡

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not surprised that UGA is behind a lot of teams when you consider both transfers and freshmen (although I am surprised by No. 12).

Teams that are rebuilding, have new coaches or rely more heavily on transfers will inherently score higher on this metric because they're adding more players.

We brought in eight transfers — well-targeted to address specific needs. Meanwhile, Ole Miss brought in 23 transfers, Auburn 14, Oregon 12 and Texas 11. The others ahead of us are behind the ESPN firewall but I'm guessing they include FSU (17 incoming transfers), Texas A&M (27!) and maybe Washington (22).

Ohio State also had just eight transfers. But they included Caleb Downs, Will Howard, Julian Sayin and Quinshon Judkins — all of whom certainly counted for a lot because they have such high individual ratings.

The whole exercise is kind of glitchy because it doesn't account for the number and quality of players lost via transfers. It's like the difference between gross income and net income. Just about everyone we lost in the portal did more to open up room on the roster than to diminish the team — so our transfer ledger is pretty close to pure addition. You couldn't say that for Auburn, A&M, Washington or Alabama — a lot of subtractions when you're losing 5-stars or giving up 35 players, including a heap of likely starters (like Alabama).

This year's freshman recruits at OSU, Texas and Oregon ranked third, fourth and sixth, which when combined with higher rated transfer groups could come out ahead of us. You could make a credible case at least for those three teams to have better "newcomers" overall. Not suprisingly, those are the three teams that come right after Georgia in most preseason rankings.

Of course, there's another, more important thing that this metric don't account for: chemistry and cohesion. By that value — which is difficult to measure — you really can't beat Georgia.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BINGO, CandlerPark!……"Of course, there's another, more important thing that this metric don't account for: chemistry and cohesion. By that value — which is difficult to measure — you really can't beat Georgia."……"Ohio State also had just eight transfers. But they included Caleb Downs, Will Howard, Julian Sayin and Quinshon Judkins — all of whom certainly counted for a lot because they have such high individual ratings."…….The tale will be told in how successful the coaches at TOS, Ole Miss, Texas convert "Me First" players into TEAM players…..given the teams I've mentioned, I'm not expecting much more than a few individual "flashes in a pan" and when the chips and score are down, there won't be much team cohesion and focus but individual effort to "save the day".

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chemistry is the thing…along with hardwork and team first attitude. The issue at OSU is more about whether Ryan Day can keep the prima donnas from ruining the chemistry. Also if you are running back at OSU not named Quinshon how does that feel for you? Not good is what I'm guessing. My buddy who is a big Buckeye fan is skeptical of Day. He tells me no more excuses for Day. It's either championship or the firing squad for him this year. The qbs at OSU are all very good but someone is going to be 3rd team and that is going to be tough for a 5 star (I think they are all 5 stars).

Barring the injury bug again we should be a top 3 team. How good I'm not sure but we have the potential to be the best team Kirby has ever had. Potential…