Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Zayden Walker commitment highlights one key difference between Glenn Schumann and Dan Lanning

SystemSystem Posts: 10,680 admin
edited June 6 in Article commenting
imageZayden Walker commitment highlights one key difference between Glenn Schumann and Dan Lanning

Georgia would not have won its first national championship in 2021 without Dan Lanning. He served as the team’s defensive coordinator and helped land a number of key contributors on the 2021 and 2022 Georgia defenses.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Both Lanning and Schumann are excellent defensive coaches, but I'd say Lanning has proven he can create the havoc and suffocating defense that won our Natty in 2021. Maybe that's as much about having the right players at the right time as it is about coaching, but our defense needs improvement. Schumann has got to get more production out of the edge and outside linebackers if we want to get back to the type of dominating defense we had a couple of seasons ago. Last season we had minimal impact with our pass rush without bringing more bodies, and we were unable to contain the EDGE time and again. That's got to change. I expect veterans Chambliss and Williams to step up their game and hope others will step forward.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    NissDawgNissDawg Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

The difference in 21 and the past couple years has been the scheme. In 21 we were able to get away with rushing 3-4 from the line and create enough havoc where if the qb didn't get rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds or less, he was getting touched (mainly because of JD and JC). We've tried to keep that 3-4 scheme and that havoc just isn't there from the line, but when we rushed 5-6 we got to the qb almost everytime in that 2.5 or less seconds. I know that opens up the middle of the field but I'd rather give that qb 2.5 seconds to throw then rush 3-4 and give him forever to throw or a chance to run. They will try that 3-4 again this year but if it doesn't work... hopefully we'll be smart enough to dial up pressure in any way possible (consistently, we obviously have the depth to do it) then to let the opposing qb run around. Great pickups for the dawgs, these kids are absolute monsters. Just hope we can utilize what we have in the middle... best case scenario we have another JD and JC combo and leadership. Just my opinion!

GO DAWGS