Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

UGA vs UF

Comments

• Dawg19Dawg19 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's a rivalry game so anyone can win any year but I'd rather be UGA going into that game than UF.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All this because A....Florida beat a Michigan team that had starters sit out the bowl and Michigan played like they didn't want to be there and, B...Texas beat a UGA team who had the same problem.

Oh well....whatever helps you sleep at night.

Doesn't matter a whole lot, because unless you're in the final four, Bowl games are nothing but an exhibition.

• bhs11bhs11 Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UnderDog68 said:

@bhs11 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@SECFan13 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Kirby will be to Florida and Dan Mullen was Spurrier was to us.

Whistling through the graveyard me thinks. You keep forgetting that even with all that talent Kirby is your head coach.

Mullen has never won more than 10 regular season games in his 11 year career. Dan Mullen is 79-49 as a head coach. I seriously dont understand where all of his hype comes from.

You will

I doubt it.

Kirby vs. Mullen last 2 games.....

31-3
    36-17

Being out-scored 66-20 does little to reinforce the opinion.

Put Kirby at Miss St and Mullen at UGA and see what would happen. Mullen hasn't made special teams goofs like kirby did against Bama and LSU that cost his team games. Mullen has been a superior coach. Kirby is an elite recruiter, not so much head coach. Mullen is catching up on the recruiting trail. By next year they will be even there, Can kirby catch up as a head coach?

edited February 2019

@bhs11 said:

Put Kirby at Miss St and Mullen at UGA and see what would happen. Mullen hasn't made special teams goofs like kirby did against Bama and LSU that cost his team games. Mullen has been a superior coach. Kirby is an elite recruiter, not so much head coach. Mullen is catching up on the recruiting trail. By next year they will be even there, Can kirby catch up as a head coach?

Again....whatever helps you sleep better at night. Mullen has nowhere near been a superior head coach. Never. Great assistant, but never a superior head coach. If he was, Miss State would have been a hell of a lot better than what they were during his time there, doncha think? If he was so great, a garbage Missouri team would have never prison raped Florida last year, amirite? That doesn't happen to superior coaches or teams. A lifetime 79-49 record does not a superior coach make. When's the last time Mullen was the head coach of a team that made it to the National Championship? I'll hang up and listen. All coaches make goofs. Saban made one against Clemson just a few weeks ago, and he's a legend.

@UnderDog68 said:

@bhs11 said:

Again....whatever helps you sleep better at night. Mullen has nowhere near been a superior coach. Never. If he was, Miss State would have been a hell of a lot better than what they were during his time there, doncha think? If he was so great, a garbage Missouri team would have never prison raped Florida last year, amirite? That doesn't happen to superior coaches or teams. When's the last time Mullen was the head coach of a team that made it to the National Championship? I'll hang up and listen. All coaches make goofs. Saban made one against Clemson just a few weeks ago, and he's a legend.

People in Dawgnation share that opinion. Most of the rest of the nation does not. You wouldn't trade for Mullen and I wouldn't trade for Kirby. So we are both happy. Kirby has a head start in year 4 vs Mullen in year 2. Kirby inherited a better talent base and gets EVERYTHING he wants at the expense of all other programs (Bama too). Mullen doesn't have that luxury at UF. All sports are important there. Kirby should beat everybody and split with Bama. But I like where UF is headed.

@bhs11 said:
    People in Dawgnation share that opinion. Most of the rest of the nation does not. You wouldn't trade for Mullen and I wouldn't trade for Kirby. So we are both happy. Kirby has a head start in year 4 vs Mullen in year 2. Kirby inherited a better talent base and gets EVERYTHING he wants at the expense of all other programs (Bama too). Mullen doesn't have that luxury at UF. All sports are important there. Kirby should beat everybody and split with Bama. But I like where UF is headed.

Fair enough....but as long as Filippe Franks is the starting QB, color me unimpressed.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bhs11 said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@bhs11 said:

Again....whatever helps you sleep better at night. Mullen has nowhere near been a superior coach. Never. If he was, Miss State would have been a hell of a lot better than what they were during his time there, doncha think? If he was so great, a garbage Missouri team would have never prison raped Florida last year, amirite? That doesn't happen to superior coaches or teams. When's the last time Mullen was the head coach of a team that made it to the National Championship? I'll hang up and listen. All coaches make goofs. Saban made one against Clemson just a few weeks ago, and he's a legend.

You got one thing right... I **** sure wouldn't want Dan Mullen leading UGA. Dude has a screw loose and will flame out.

You guys should have lost 3 more games in 2018, including the Vandy game - who blew an 18 point lead late in the 3rd by making self-inflicted mistakes.

@UnderDog68 said:

@bhs11 said:

Fair enough....but as long as Filippe Franks is the starting QB, color me unimpressed.

I get that! I somewhat agree. He played pretty well the last 3.5 games. If he continues to improve he can run a dynamic offense. Oline is a bigger concern IMO.

edited February 2019

@bhs11 said:

I get that! I somewhat agree. He played pretty well the last 3.5 games. If he continues to improve he can run a dynamic offense. Oline is a bigger concern IMO.

My brother lives in Wakulla County and I went to a couple of games with him when Franks was playing in HS there. They ran the Auburn offense then, and Franks' skills would have been good for Auburn. During those games, he ran the ball well, but when he passed long, it was pretty much just throw a prayer up and hope Gavin...a 5-Star WR that signed with FSU...came down with it. More often than not, he did come down with it. That's probably why he got 5 stars, because he didn't have all that great a career at FSU.

On another note, are you still watching recruiting as closely as you did when you used to frequent the old UGA Scout board?

• DCochranDCochran Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

The score of our game with them was almost identical to our score with LSU and we got 'stomped' by LSU by most folk's observation. So, I don't think I'll call our game with UF 'closer than the score indicated.' JMHO

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bhs11 said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@bhs11 said:

I don't think you are correctly measuring what "the rest of the nation" thinks in regards to Mullen.

I understand you question the analysis of what Mullen is from UGA fans now... as you'd expect us to be biased against a UF coach. But UGA fans weren't all that interested in Mullen when they were hiring a replacement for richt (before the anti-UF factor came into play). And coaching rankings before the season were pretty consistent with Smart ahead of Mullen.

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Ranking-the-top-25-coaches-in-college-football-119432571/#119432571_16

Smart #10, Mullen #17.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ranking-the-top-25-power-five-college-football-coaches-entering-the-2018-season/

Smart #8, Mullen #13

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-head-coaches-2018

Smart #10, Mullen #17

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/list/college-football-coach-rankings-2018-nick-saban-dabo-swinney-urban-meyer-kirby-smart-jim-harbaugh/pw0dkzocij0ozd5nodvbnlj8/slide/9

Smart #5, Mullen #21

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/01/2017-final-ranking-of-all-130-college-football-head-coaches

Smart #11, Mullen #23

Closest one:

https://thebiglead.com/2018/06/27/the-10-best-coaches-in-college-football-nick-saban-urban-meyer-dabo-swinney/

Smart #8, Mullen #10

Most of the rest of the nation does view Smart as a better coach than Mullen. They view the gap as different sizes... but all that I found had Smart ahead of Mullen.

As for the "UGA doesn't care about other sports" argument... I'm not sure why you think that's true. While UF is in the top 5 of overall sports programs every year... UGA is in the top 15. UGA does put effort into non-football sports. UGA doesn't have as many as UF does, but they win a fair amount of national championships in other sports. UGA is regularly competitive at the national level in swimming, tennis, golf, gymnastics and equestrian. Recently they've been there in track and field too. Fans may not care much, but the university views them as important and funds them well.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DCochran said:
    The score of our game with them was almost identical to our score with LSU and we got 'stomped' by LSU by most folk's observation. So, I don't think I'll call our game with UF 'closer than the score indicated.' JMHO

This 100%. Florida needs to worry about beating Kentucky first and foremost as far as the SEC East goes. Their opening game against Miami is very interesting to me, obviously I'll be rooting for Miami.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DCochran said:

The "closer than it seemed" term is relative to what side of the score you're on. Especially in the ga-fla game it seems. I have admitted in the past they whipped our a$$, but it seems alot of gators are having trouble with the reality of the last 2 years

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RPMdawg said:

@DCochran said:

The "closer than it seemed" term is relative to what side of the score you're on. Especially in the ga-fla game it seems. I have admitted in the past they whipped our a$$, but it seems alot of gators are having trouble with the reality of the last 2 years

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is required viewing in Gainesville upon returning from Jax

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Great discussion, but let me disagree with one point made: I thought Jones looked very good. Were it not for Campbell tackling their WR, he would have had a long and beautiful TD pass, and he ran well. That was the only game I saw hime play in, but I think he stands a good chance of winning the QB job next year. If their O line is weaker, he may be better at running for his life than Franks. This is an intense rivalry. Florida trains for UGA twelve months a year, so I would expect them to play us closer than the talent balance would indicate.

• rockymtndawgrockymtndawg Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

I’d say, “by design,” rather than “closer than it seemed.” Some teams have a first 22 that can stick with UGA, but very few have 44, or more. UF seems to fit this case, and it showed last year. Hence the “close” game blown open by UGA late with deeper and fresher talent.

Also, let’s not forget, Kirby is just through only his third year as a head coach, Mullen his 11th. Did Mullen make similar in game blunders in his first few years? Nobody knows, because… well, nobody cared. What’s more likely to happen Kirby gain experience and improve as an in-game head coach, or Mullen, in year 12 suddenly become a recruiting force?

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

@rockymtndawg said:
    I’d say, “by design,” rather than “closer than it seemed.” Some teams have a first 22 that can stick with UGA, but very few have 44, or more. UF seems to fit this case, and it showed last year. Hence the “close” game blown open by UGA late with deeper and fresher talent.

Also, let’s not forget, Kirby is just through only his third year as a head coach, Mullen his 11th. Did Mullen make similar in game blunders in his first few years? Nobody knows, because… well, nobody cared. What’s more likely to happen Kirby gain experience and improve as an in-game head coach, or Mullen, in year 12 suddenly become a recruiting force?

Well said there. I'd rather have chicken salad from a 4* up and coming young chef than an alternate chicken dish prepared by an established chef who doesn't have access to quality ingredients!

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Kirby has had some success with risk taking, but 2018 was a down year for CKS and risk. His problem, imho, was in the risk reward ratio. He tried stuff with a big downside. The flea flicker that burned Mullen and Grantham so badly was a lower risk, higher reward play than the fake kicks. I suspect he will do better as he improves his risk reward ratio moving forward. Also, one of my chief gripes with Chaney was that he didn’t attack the weaknesses in defenses. He would just line up and go right at their scheme...repeatedly. For instance, when they loaded the box with 7 players and then sent a safety in as the ball was snapped. That leaves three players to defend the rest of the field. I hope Coley is licking his chops watching that film!! I also hope it wasn’t Kirby forcing Chaney to run at their strengths endlessly, and predictably.