Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Let's play... Who Am I?

Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Who am I? My senior year in high school, I was one of the top quarterbacks in Georgia high school football. After high school, even though I had a couple of other offers, I decided to come and play for the University of Georgia. Soon after arriving at UGA, I began to turn heads and impressed players and coaches alike during practice with not only my ability to pass from the pocket, but with my elusiveness, ability to create, and pass on the run. And even though I was little undersized at 6 ft. 180 lb. I was still able to be an effective runner. Some of the veteran star players on the team raved about my abilities. However getting playing time turned out to be a real problem as I ended up being third string behind a couple of other scholarship QB's. At this point I became somewhat discouraged decided to leave the team. I didn't stay gone long though and I returned, determined to show what I could do. Who am I?

P.S. Although everything points to me being "The Mailman" Stetson Bennett, I am not Stetson Bennett

Comments

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fran Tarkenton.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Casanova_Flatulence said:
    Fran Tarkenton.

That didn't take long. I just wanted to show folks the similarities between these two. In other words "Don't forget about "The Mailman"

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

@Red_N_Black said:

@Casanova_Flatulence said:
    Fran Tarkenton.

That didn't take long. I just wanted to show folks the similarities between these two. In other words "Don't forget about "The Mailman"

I'm willing to go out on a limb here. Have seen him play and think if he's thrown in the fire like Jake was, he won't be overwhelmed. May not be Jake, but is Very cool and smooth in the backfield. Wont be riled. Jmo

High school play I meant. Think maybe most of us saw g day play

• Options
    ColumboColumbo Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I can highly recommend the SEC Documetary on Fran Tarkington. Had no idea he was born in Washington DC, before moving to Athens. A sad thing I learned was his Father died during the Famous NFC Championship Game against Dallas, which was the Staubach to Pearson Hail Mary game. Can’t imagine getting that kind of news in the locker room.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very interesting.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The answer to all QB questions: Tua Talgo%vlag@ioli&avola.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

The only thing I didn’t know in the OP was that Tarkenton left UGA for awhile. Did he transfer out and transfer back in? What happened there?

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He and his buddy quit the team because the coach was a tool. They got talked into coming back.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    The only thing I didn’t know in the OP was that Tarkenton left UGA for awhile. Did he transfer out and transfer back in? What happened there?

There was never a 'transfer' per se. Fran and Pat Dye were not getting along with Wally Butts, and both of them left Athens one night and drove all the way to Tallahassee to look into going to FSU. They were talked out of it by an assistant coach. It worked out for all involved, I'd say.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Columbo said:
    I can highly recommend the SEC Documetary on Fran Tarkington. Had no idea he was born in Washington DC, before moving to Athens. A sad thing I learned was his Father died during the Famous NFC Championship Game against Dallas, which was the Staubach to Pearson Hail Mary game. Can’t imagine getting that kind of news in the locker room.

I still have that thing sitting around on my DVR. I've got to get around to watching it.

• Options
    Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

I think I’m the next A.J. Green and I’m just too good to play for a team like” Georgia”.
    Who am I?

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawgsince76 said:
    I think I’m the next A.J. Green and I’m just too good to play for a team like” Georgia”.
    Who am I?

90% of the 5 star WR recruits

• Options
    ihateusernamesihateusernames Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson Bennett

• Options
    ihateusernamesihateusernames Posts: 402 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ihateusernames said:
    Stetson Bennett

hahahaha helps if you read the entire post. not my brightest moment on the message board.

• Options
    UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

I enjoyed watching the part where Fran got in the huddle and literally drew up a play in the dirt against Auburn in the closing minute to win the SEC in 1959. That moment is legendary. And then they capped off the season with an Orange Bowl win over Missouri. Wally Butts' last hurrah at UGA.