Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

anyone here like bourbon?

Comments

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

Gotcha. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for it. I trust your bourbon advice.

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm no expert by any stretch, just an enthusiast. I suggest asking if the shop has a tasting bottle of their store picks open first. I also try things out in restaurants before I buy bottles, when possible. I don't like having a bottle of something I don't like in the cabinet without the guts to toss it 🤣

• Options
    swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I see the title of this thread sometimes and think....

Does anybody here like bourbon? These are rabid Georgia fans heck yeah they like bourbon. How do you think we got thru the Ray Goff years?

Good thread though. Nothing better than that first sip of an adult beverage on a Saturday afternoon just before kickoff. Weather has cooled off. And we are back to back champs.

Man I can't wait. Gonna be sweet.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Just found this logo for his place at @jontweetsports ....and oh boy do I wish that I were there!!!

Any of you lucky ones been???

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Marlow's Tavern has just informed me that today is National Tequila Day.

Like I needed another excuse to make a Paloma.

And as one of my local fishing buds tells me "it's always 5:00 in Florida".

• Options

I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend so far. I'm shutting down work and sitting down to a new bottle while enjoying the break in the heat outside. First taste was sweet, like a wheater, though I don't know the mash bill on this yet. Very smooth for a 102 proof.

Cheers, Dawgs!

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Mash bill should be 75% white heirloom corn finished with 13% rye and 12% malted barley

• Options

Thank you, friend. That is fascinating as my first reaction was the sweetness, which I associate with wheat, not rye. I really Iike this as I get further into the bottle, which is interesting because I don't really like the regular line very much. Cheers!

• Options

I'm with you on the regular line of Yellowstone. The barrel select for $45 is a step up but for that price there are, at least for me, better alternatives. Speaking of alternatives, I'm currently enjoying a $44 pick up from Costco (New Riff Bourbon) that's turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. All my Blantons has mysteriously evaporated and there's no way I'm going to now pay $175 a bottle so I've been on a substitute bourbon hunt. The New Riff has a unique mash bill of 65% corn 30% Rye and 5% barley and it's non chill filtered. At 103+ proof its an easy sippin caramel, spice bomb. Will definitely be one I'll keep on rotation.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

I have loved this Rye for some time now. I drink it straight with one cube as well. Hard to find in the Jacksonville area. A couple bars have it. Sazerac owns Buffalo Trace or vice versa. I had been ordering it from Max Online Liquor out of California. Prices weren't too bad, and they ship in plain brown box and Fedex would just leave it without a signature.

• Options

I will look for that bourbon at Costco for sure after your description and recommendation. 👍️

• Options

There actually a couple of scenes in the latest season (Season 5?) where they showed Wellers being poured and/or requested some Buffalo Trace on the rocks. It was enough where I bet there was an official purchase for subtle advertisement.

• Options

Happy Friday, Dawg sisterrs and brothers!

This finished rye is full of character, (like some of you here) flavor and spice. Lots of cinnamon at first then as the ice melts the sweetness and buttery mouthfeel really come out.

Is it football season yet?

• Options
    edited August 2023

I really want to try some rye's. Any suggestion to ease me into it?

And football season is almost upon us..

• Options

I really want to try some rye's. Any suggestion to ease me into it?

Maybe start with a high-rye bourbon like Bulleit, Redemption or 1792 Small batch, which have higher rye contents then typical bourbons, but are still 50%+ corn. For true Ryes, I have Redemption Rye, Rittenhouse and Sazerac in my cabinet right now. Bulleit, Angel's Envy and Whistle Pig also make nice ryes, but the Angel and Pig are pricey if you aren't sure you're into the style yet. Buy several in mini bottles before diving in. Happy Hunting!

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

Sazerac Rye is really good, not expensive but can be hard to find. Max online liquor.com has it on a regular basis (available right now 29.99 + shipping). What is cool about them is they ship without requiring ID or signature if nobody is home.