Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What are Dawgnations stereotypes of Texas

Comments

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Awesome story. Makes me go back. I had a similar story from a dirt bike accident. Didn’t have the police messing around, but had to teach someone what a clutch and shifter was real quick

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Know that agronomy thing Dogs. Was full of BS about it when I left UGA if you know what i mean. Dr Karnok and his vette was a hoot

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A UT guy on twitter commented on this and said we had no problem with UGA, or some dumb ish like that. I told him we were minus a Thorpe winner, leading sack guy, and starting NG. And said we were the biggest game in several years of any relevance for them, meanwhile we just gave away an SEC title because our OC took his foot off the gas, and we lost Walker who was in the backfield ALL nite. We lost yea; but the better team did NOT win that game. I assured him that when we're not coming off a devastating loss (which should have put us in the cfp) and nobody sits out the game we can even deal with our injured starters. But I told him I'd bet ANYTHING when we meet again, we will rub their noses in the dirt. I officially hate UT now because anyone can see what happened. We SAID it's the Sugar Bowl and we wanna win. But we were Not prepared due to how bad the Bama loss hurt. I want some UT a s s now! Those ppl beating their gums together are just doing it because they never expected to beat big bad UGA. It'll come soon if Herman can ever get past OU. N I'm so ready to run the score up on em.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@texdawg and OH!!! These guys??? Some of my all time favorites!!! ZZ TOP ROCKS!!!

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

Haha...dunno. I never remember Townes Van Zandt having one. I can think of Willie Nelson probably using a fiddle at times. Who's your good authority? :) I think that's a certainty if you're gonna be in a band that played The Devil Went Down To Georgia, though. Seriously, I always associated fiddle with Appalachian music.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was on Soil Judging team coached by Dr. Tan. We would compete against other SEC schools. Almost always poured rain and this girl got stuck in the muck. The pulled her out but her cowgirl boots stayed.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

RPMdawg In the Spring Dr. Perkins would load up the van and drive 5 hours to South Georgia for a field trip. Students would ask if they could buy beer and he would oblige. Aways down the road they would ask to pull over for relief. He would say no. Very painful.

This story got told so when it was our turn we knew better. After a while the story died out and repeated.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I couldnt finish what you posted because of the excuse making. Texas was a quality opponent. They whipped us and the fact our guys couldnt put their hearts in it is irrelevant and a serious team character flaw. No pride, and we werent just “down a Thorpe winner” - he quit on us. Kirby said it was cool that he quit on us. The rest of the team heard it loud and clear. Kirby told the team the game didnt matter.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

"Impression" Woman building a home in the SA area put sacks of borax under a raised foundation (most homes there are built on a slab due to the caliche soil [natural concrete-ish, but porous, and thick - way above the bedrock]) as a means to discourage the monster cockroaches in that area.

Edit: Due to the slabs, covered garages are called "Texas basements".

FYI Borax is very effective against "Palmetto bugs" plus the nasty German cockroaches. Shake it off.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SoapBox moment for me:

Borax is more toxic than any insecticide found on the “Wall of Death” at Home Depot. It’s not the same thing as boric acid. Both will kill bugs. Tou should Only use Borax where it is intended - the washing machine. Very dangerous to spread it around the house with children and pets because Borax causes permanent occular tissue damage.

(crawls down from soapbox)

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well... I generally think it's quite similar to Georgia. A little dryer. A little flatter. More cowboy hats. More cattle and ranches, but not by much (per capita anyways). A whole lot more oil. That's about it.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You want to know something weird? And it's something that I bet you don't hear a lot of...

The fates haves seemed to of blessed me with the irony of having a lot of luck with Tech girls. Yes.... Tech. Go figure? I didn't search it out. I didn't make it a mission. It just kind of happened that way. Anyways... back to Texas.

• Options
    Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RxDawg - The fates haves seemed to of blessed me with the irony of having a lot of luck with Tech girls. Yes.... Tech. Go figure? I didn't search it out. I didn't make it a mission. It just kind of happened that way. Anyways... back to Texas.

Reminds me of an old saying..."Nobody loves a Tech girl, but whoa, how a Tech girl can love!"

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I work with a Tech engineer. He claims that they used to come to Athens while we were partying and steal all our girls. I'll have to tell him about your post. I need to show him the " The Dawgs run the state, they always will" post also.😎

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019

It may have been boric acid, assuming such can be placed in bags (presumably, paper). Anything can be hazardous, and the Europeans have their own views of boron compounds. The USA is pretty okay with it.

There is eye wash made with boric acid and borax (sodium borate), so there's that. I put boric acid around the foundation plates (wood against concrete walls) of this house, and under each stove I have purchased. Have dogs and have had no problems.

I would rather have a natural compound of ~ safe character rather than a petroleum based broad spectrum killer as are most commercial pesticides.

NIH has eye issues as temporary and pretty much treats boric acid and its salts as pretty interchangeable as to toxicity.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate