Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jordan Hang Time

2»

Comments

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kemp and Dom my tops for in game dunks. Nique got a lot off the rebound which impressed me the most. Both guys slammed with authority, no squeakers or misses.

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yes it was a great documentary. It makes you wonder... How many guys on the street could go beast mode in any of the major pro leagues, but somewhere they pulled the shortest straw. Sad. That guy was great, though. Thanks for reminding me.

This thread went more toward dunks, and that's perfectly fine, but I was really wondering if besides, like said, Clyde the Glide, if anyone can think of the hang time of MJ. It literally seemed like he could pause in mid air and adjust. I've watched sports over 40 years and he's the only one that I've seen do it so consistently. At the apex of his jump, I swear he paused for 3/4 a second. Sure seemed like it.

And the way almost all guys project up, hit the apex, and come down. His high point could extend on and on till he got the shot. He's just the GOAT. I really feel for the kids that didn't get a chance to watch him in his prime man.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They had a vote on Get Up the other day on the best in game dunk. Kemp was in it , but no VC jumping over the 7 footer or Jordan dunking on Ewing and the Knicks which is absolutely one of the best ever.

• Options

Those were GREAT dunks man. Wish I had seen the list. Kemp was a beast. Just couldn't keep the weight off.

• Options
    LongGoneDawgLongGoneDawg Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jordan was more than a dunker though. He had a jumper, he could pass, and he could do what all the other superstars since never did...He played tenacious D. As for his hang time, some of those acrobat-al layups are more of a testament to this... His Airness, best nickname ever.

• Options

Agree 100% and I always use that same argument. His competitive drive to score was matched by his drive to NOT let you score! His Airness... Just great

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Had to Google it as I couldn't remember the year (1986) but I did remember watching Spud win the NBA Slam Dunk contest that year.

Saw quite a few match ups in the old Omni with Wilkins & MJ. Nique would always play his best game of the year and go toe to toe with Jordan. Yikes that was over 30 years ago.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To answer the original question, yes, it seemed as if Jordan had a little more hang time than everyone else. He levitated just a bit.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know what it was about him, but it looked like he could have jumped from the 3pt arc and floated slowly to the rim. I still love watching him on YT.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Basketball hasn't been the same since he left. I know the younger guys don't like hearing that, but the current NBA is a shadow of what it used to be. It's not a comment on the skill of the new generation...it was just a lot more fun and competitive back in 80's and early 90's.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A lot folks today prefer the offense to the physical D. And I admit, things could get pretty hairy back on those days, but it was fun to watch.