Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National Near MIss Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A massive asteroid (4581 Asclepius) nearly hit the earth in 1989. This day is commemorated annually on March 23 as people across the nation celebrate National Near Miss Day.

On March 22-23, 1989, a mountain-sized asteroid came within 500,000 miles of colliding with the earth. “On the cosmic scale of things, that was a close call,” said Dr. Henry Holt. Geophysicists estimate that collision with Asclepius would release energy comparable to the explosion of a 600 megaton atomic bomb. On March 31, 1989, nine days after its closest approach to Earth, the asteroid was discovered.

Whew, was that closer than the Rose Bowl 2 years ago?

Comments

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On a cosmic scale!

• Options
    BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

National Near Miss Day: I'll take "what is my life condensed into 19 letters" for 500, Alex.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So that is clearly why today is opening day of turkey season.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of the best posts I've ever read on DN. Well done sir. And amen.

• Options
    bvilledawgbvilledawg Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

I remember that like it was yesterday because the **** thing whizzed my head while fishing a farm pond in Fort Valley. I've still got a permanent part, right down the middle. **** those asteroids!