Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Smokin' , Grillin' and Chillin' while sipping your favorite beverage,

As a topic that was spun of from @tfk_fanboy 's Bourbon thread, let's dedicate this one to your best grilling foods, methods and techniques, what you use whether it be a gas grill, charcoal, wood, electric etc. Smoker, Charbroil, Weber, Egg, self made... you name it.

Also add in you favorite "outdoor" recipe and what makes your's better than anyone else's. Meats, stews, boils...have at it. Pictures are encouraged and lots of mouths are already watering...

Comments

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just got a smoke, Acorn ( Little Gree Egg type) and Havnt learned how to use it yet. So I’d love to hear about people Smoking methods and techniques.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

thanks for creating this thread @ghostofuga1

I love grilling, smoking, bbq, and sous vide

Aaron Franklin to Meathead Goldwyn, love those guys and the only cookbooks I own.

I use a sous vide, a stick burner, a pellet grill, and a kamado

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 How long did that need to stay on the smoker ? Sounds and looks awesome.

@PharmDawg2054 who makes that kamado? it is gorgeous

and leftover pulled pork is also amazing for nachos. add in your normal toppings for loaded nachos and use pulled pork instead.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pharmadawg That's a beautiful grill man. A six wheeler even. And that's one stout grate.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tfk_fanboy @MarkBoknecht it’s made by Blaze grills. I lucked out and purchased it from someone who won it in a drawing and never even took it out of the boxes

another great thing with left over pulled pork is making a BBQ lasagna

There are some great deals on the Facebook market place for high end grills that are barely used at half the price

That’s pretty much exactly what I do in the wrapping process

i try to stay below 275 on a cook of brisket and 350 or below on a butt. All just depends what time frame I’m working with

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CZCashvilleDawg I’ve cooked hundreds of pounds of briskets, ribs, butts and other meats on my Akorns; they’re a great introduction to Kamado cooking. Best piece of advice I can offer is what I said above; don’t chase temps on the grill! Get a good remote digital thermometer and monitor the internal temp of your meat; that makes all of the difference! Some other advice I have is for ribs; 4 hours at 275 degrees always works for me, babyback, St Louis or country style. Finally, use pork butts for your learning curve; they make great pulled pork and are very forgiving. Good luck!

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m with you on cooking temps...but if they vary during the process, I don’t sweat it anymore. I used to chase 225 for briskets and 300 for butts like they were gospel; not so much anymore.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

This thread is making me miss my rooftop with the grill

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JMO here, the “key” to a great result when smoking is charcoal, wood and water instead of gas or electricity. It takes quite a bit longer, more effort, but well worth the end result.

I know the Thanksgiving Turkey can be deep fried, but good old fashioned charcoal, wood of choice and water makes a smoked turkey the best it can be. You can also add some of your favorite cooking wine to the water for flavor. I prefer hickory or apple wood, but there are many choices. 

two uncles, step dad, and a couple friends have the akorn. best bang for the buck in all of grilling/smoking imo. they can rust of not covered though

and agreed 100% about a good thermo. really only two worth buying and both by the same company and at two different price points

thermo pop and thermapen

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ghostofuga1 bro doing the lords work. Much appreciated ghost bro

edited March 2019

I’ve never used a egg or anything similar, but I do like them. The pellet cooking set and forget watching seems to be the trend as of late.

Personally, I like my Lang stick burner because I keep an eye on it. Haha I even put these fancy thermos in it so I dont have to watch the temps, but always find myself out there.

New school or old school, just remember low and slow is the name of the game. I appreciate seeing other bros & broettes bbq work

bros and broettes check these smokers out. They seem legit, plus Myron knows a thing or two on a smoker. Might be my next smoker

https://www.myronmixonsmokers.com/commercial/commercial-smokers/h2o-smokers/