Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Was this Coach K's final game as a HC ?..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He is 72 years old and he looks exhausted.

Also he's losing most of this year's team and I don't see a title team next season. So let's assume he looks past next season as the next good opportunity to add a 6th title, he'd be at least 74 years old.

Comments

• Options

Also. who would Duke look to first as his replacement ? To me Tony Bennett would be a no brainer. He only makes 2.43 million compared to Coach K's 9 million, plus it's Duke.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I imagine Johnny Dawkins would get an interview, star player at Duke, longtime Coach K assistant, and his UCF team had a good run in tourney.

• Options

FPD. Bennett even looks the part, but Charlottesville is even farther from SF than Durham is.

• Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Losing the roster is nothing new. He always looks exhausted at this point. He'll be back for at least 2 more seasons. Bennett isn't going to Duke. I'll go on a limb and say its either Capel or Hurley.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No idea what Coach K is gonna do, but Coach Bennett ain't going to Duke in a million years.

• Options
    DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Duke Recruiting Class Rankings/Season Finish:

2018-2019—1st/Elite 8

2017-2018—1st/Elite 8

2016-2017—1st/Round of 32 

Think there is some credence to the thought that he's not coaching at the same high level as he is recruiting. I don't think he's the year long award show type of guy so when he hangs it up I think it will be an off-season thing. I think you could be on to something here.

• Options

AnotherDawg. maybe not for a million years, but maybe for 8 million bucks.

• Options

Johnson. Losing players is nothing new to Coach K, but being 73 years old will be new.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're right WC. Money often changes things. I just can't see Bennett in Durham.

Coach K's former assistants include Brey, Snyder, Dawkins, Wojciechowski, Capel, Collins, Hurley, Amaker. None of them have distinguished themselves.

Top current assistants are James and Scheyer.

My guess is the next Duke HC will be Dawkins, Amaker, or James.

• Options
    RW24RW24 Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ Junior

what about SCHEYER or Nolan Smith both former players

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When’s the last time a majority freshman team won a national title? Probably the last Duke Natty? It’s starting to show that you need experience and talent to win the tournament. Coach K isn’t going anywhere anytime soon guys. When he does it’ll be Hurley or Dawkins. Both have had success as head coaches, you don’t coach Duke as a first time head coach after the GOAT. That’d be like Saban retiring this year and Tosh taking over.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Vic Bubas retired in 1969, and the next 10 years were a struggle. Whenever it happens, Im hoping Duke experiences at least another 10 years of getting kicked.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate