Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Gauntlet Thrown Down - Pronounce Pecan

13»

Comments

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Pecan is pronounced "PEE can"

Down here in Waycross we definitely pronounce it All-Benny. Lol.

There is a very small town nearby called Hoboken which I've only ever heard it pronounced Ho-bo-ken, exactly as it's spelled. Well one day in the late 90's I was at a gas pump pumping gas and a man pulls up and asks me if Hob-uh-kin was that way? I made him repeat it twice and finally told him I had never heard of that place in my life. He digs out his map and points to it. I was like ohhhhh Hoboken. Lol. Said he was from Oregon.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a kid I remember back in the black and white TV shows 'What's my line'. This dude was telling people where they were from within 50 miles by listening to their accent. The people he demonstrated on were from the NE but I agree there are very local differences.

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Bulldawg1982, that reminds me I have some Publix Sugar-free butter pecan ice cream in the freezer. By the way, if you want some sugar-free ice cream that tastes like regular ice cream try Publix sore brand.

• Options
    FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Pecan is pronounced "Pe KAHN"

Many years ago I read that butter pecan is a favorite of men (the favorite, perhaps). Within weeks of reading that I informed the owner of a newly opened ice cream shop that he was remiss in not stocking butter pecan. Nothing else. Read and apply is all. Oh, yeah. I said BUT tur pe KAHN.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Colorado is like that. People within the state all pronounce it entirely wrong. They say it like Col-ah-ray-oh.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, one thing we all agree on--put a big slice of whatever you want to call it pie on a plate with some vanilla ice cream and you have a delightful southern classic!

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg Perhaps I've just lived way too far away from our beloved home state of GEORGIA for just too long now? Anyway, I can remember saying it BOTH ways. I believe that most all of my family (I have a really big family in Georgia too) that is entirely in and around the Metro-Atlanta area from one side of the city to the other spanning between 5 or 6 counties across it from East to West ... everyone there pronounces it PEE-CAN. I have personally said "pe-kahn" for years.