Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

OL Brock Hoffman was denied immediate eligibility after his mother had major brain surgery....

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited April 2019 in General

He transfered from Coastal Carolina to Virginia Tech to be closer to his Mother who lives in Stateville NC while she recovers from acoustic Neurcoma surgery. A large tumor was pressing against her brain stem.

Virginia Tech is 105 miles from his home, he was denied immediate eligibility becasuse of the ''100 mile rule''. He lives 5 miles farther from VT than the distance requirement.

This is FAR worse than allowing players to transfer without sitting out for minor reasons like we've seen of late in my view of things. If you've ever driven from Stateville to Blacksburg you might know it's some of the easiest interstate miles to drive in the east. There isn't a single congested area you can drive that 105 miles easily in 1,5 hours. Contrast that with driving from Coastal just outside Myrtle Beach to Statesville, it can take 45 minutes just to get through Florence this time of year.

His case is on appeal, give the kid his waver you heartless old bastards.

Comments

• Options
    walkermydawgwalkermydawg Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Personally I don’t care if the kids get a 1 time transfer no penalty no matter the case. It doesn’t matter the reason.

In in this case.. I’m curious as to the issues maybe. Conway SC is 203 miles from Statesville , NC as to Blacksburg being 132 miles. That’s really not that much difference an extra hour maybe. Would assume VT to Statesville would be across the mountains??

But the kid started at Center 12 games as a freshman. Is he really gonna step in and replace the current returning center RS soph. So at best he’s prolly gonna be redshirted any way... also. I curious if CCU have issues not that they can restrict , but they could complain about it... supposedly UGA and tOSU didn’t have any complaints.

Better question is there was a coaching change at CCU, why not just use that? all a Martel.

• Options
    GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They might have to hire a lawyer but it's getting a bit ridiculous that players' families are having to bear that kind of expense just for the opportunity to fight for fair and consistent rulings. The NCAA is losing a lot of credibility with the way they operate but I'd imagine the only way they're going to be motivated to change is if they get major pushback from the schools in a unified manner.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's kind of hard to see why the NCAA is a good entity.

• Options
    SwimDawgSwimDawg Posts: 160 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

His scenario doesn’t sell tickets like JF and Martell. Heartless.

• Options
    Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Probably need to play or threaten to play the race card. I have no idea if the kid involved is white, black or purple just threaten the NCAA and they will probably back down.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Threaten the NCAA with something. Perhaps it doesn't matter what. We really don't quite know. What we do know is they are inconsistent and probably either incompetent or worse.

• Options
    edited April 2019

To clear something up, which I thought I did in the OP, Hoffman's mother lives 105 miles from VT. Coastal Carolina is a bit over 200 miles from his Mother's home in Statesville. When you travel by road though, it ain't just about the miles. It's more about the TIME. When you leave Coastal Carolina the first barrier is getting through Florence, that alone can take 45 minutes or more. It's among the worst small towns to drive through. There are several other bottle necks on route. Getting to VT from Statesville on the other hand is about 1.5 hours of clear sailing. Hoffman could leave school at 2pm, visit his Mother and be back in time to get to bed at a healthy hour. From Coastal it's an all day commitment to visit home.

• Options
    SECFanSECFan Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Absolutely appalled that medical records don't get you a waiver. Seriously! They're willing to deny this over 5 miles.

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Only disagreement with your statement “NCAA is losing credibility...”

I am not aware that the NCAA has any credibility!

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But Justin Fields claims that he didn't feel safe at Georgia as his Sister enrolled there and they give him a waiver but this kids Mother has a Brain Tumor and he's denied. What the **** gives man??!?!?!?

• Options

I've yet to see proof Fields made those claims. I did read where some reporter made those claims and they kept being repeated on boards, but I never saw any of it as quotes.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

It feels like it’s all going down hill real quick for the NCAA. Seems like they are opening doors they don’t need too with the portal. Interesting to see what happens

edit - also hate it for the young man

• Options
    prbrownprbrown Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NCAA = dumb@$$es