Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Today's Musical Palate Cleanser - Early MoTown - Funk Bros.

FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited May 2019 in Off Topic

Continuation of a concept. If you have a musical palate cleanser, choose a day for your own - that is, check that no one has that day first. In candor, I couldn't relate to the namesake OP, so I am under no illusions that this will connect with many of you.

Early MoTown seems to be underappreciated (what do I know?). The Funk Brothers have had a PBS feature that tracked their career as the studio musicians for many of the top MoTown performers and continuing in music for many decades. I think that the female singers of early MoTown aren't given their due. Mary Wells, Martha Reeves (of the Vandellas) Barbara Lewis. In addition, some great songs are seemingly forgotten. So, take this as an introduction or perhaps a memory jolt to some good singable songs with a good beat.

Note: The extended versions are from John Perrone of Massachusetts who re-mixed many MoTown songs. His intent in most cases is to highlight the instrumentation (Funk Bros.) and the backup singers, while not diminishing the singers. The latter might be the Vandellas (including Martha), the Love-Tones, the Andrates, and others.

I'll pop a few here. The Extended can be found (use the search feature as John has tons of these) on YouTube channel mosogotam Put on your headphones, and put the selection on loop and enjoy while reading DawgNation OPs.

Barbara Lewis - Hello Stranger

Martha and the Vandellas "Come And Get These Memories" My Extended Version!

Martha and the Vandellas "Nowhere To Run" The Funk Brothers ... My Extended Version!

Marvin Gaye & the Vandellas "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow" 1962 My Extended Version!

The one who really loves you - Mary Wells

Had to delete some as it was too long.

Comments

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

Here are a few more.

Mary Wells Funk Bros "You Beat Me To The Punch" My Extended version!

The Shirelles - Baby it's you (original 1961)

Miracles "You Really Got A Hold On Me" My Extended Version!

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles "Going To A Go-Go" My Extended Version!

"Contemporary Funk Bros." - from the PBS special

Joan Osborne - What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted - [STEREO]

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Awesome. Thanks for this post. That group of cats could play.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been a fan of Classic Rock for years: LZ, Cream, Beatles, Stones, the Who.

But when you listen to those songs over and over, you end up looking for something different and I started listening to the 60's again, especially Motown.

For me, it's not the words so much, it's the rythym, the horns, and the beat. Favorite artists Include the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, and Gladys Knight and the Pips. And I love Original Versions. For example, Aretha Franklin's Respect. Featured in one of my favorite movies, the Blues Bros., along with many other Blues Classics, the original version is, by far, the best.

Just a few of my favorites: Wilson Pickett's Mustang Sally, the Beach Boys Fun Fun Fun, The Drifter's On Broadway, and the Four Season's Rag Doll to name a few.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And were often uncredited. James Jamerson, the bass player for the Funk Bros, is widely regarded as one of the best ever. A lot of the music from that era was laid down by a few groups, the Wrecking Crew in LA, the guys in Muscle Shoals (I forget what they called themselves), the Stax-Volt guys in Memphis.

Can hear Jamerson here:

Jr Walker & the All-Stars Funk Brothers "(I'm a) Road Runner" My Extended Version!

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sadly the allure of Motown has always escaped me.

In the big picture, nothing to be sad about. My tastes are very specific. Most genres today are over-produced, with "lyrics" that are incomprehensible (un-singable), and music that is a jumble of sounds. (Exaggeration, but +/- true in my opinion). Enjoy what you enjoy.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If this doesn't make your toe tap, I guess you need to find something that does. Love this stuff.

edited June 2019

Found this. Not Detroit/Funk Bros. (best I can figure) but Chicago. Jan Bradley - one hit, but a #11. Story is in the YT description, but when Curtis Mayfield left the label, Jan was on her own.

Hadn't heard in ages. Was big oldy goldy for a while.

Piggyback this too: Jackie Ross Not familiar? Worth knowing at least for this song.

Jackie Ross  "Selfish One"

Original theme of underappreciated early 1960s female R&B singers. Also Chicago.

Reminder: Concept is put on loop, don earbuds and peruse DN. Frequent head bobs are normal.

edited June 2019

NY this time, although producer is from Chicago per comments. (Alt to Guilty Pleasure Song OP)

The Jaynetts – Sally, Go 'Round The Roses. Early 1960s undervalued R & B girl "group" - see Wiki, below - and one hit wonder themes.

I'll give 3 versions, plus lyrics below, too. Reached 1, 2 or 3 in 1963 depending on source. Was a hot oldy goldy for a while too, then pretty much disappeared.

Extended version by John Perrone doesn't have the organ - a big thing to some, as it should be.

Two versions with good quality in monaural (mono) with the organ.

This one has some pops but is deeper to me:

Wiki article:  

Lyrics and reference: The Jaynetts – Sally, Go 'Round The Roses

Sally go round the roses (Sally go round the roses)

Sally go round the roses (Sally go round the pretty roses)

Roses they can't hurt you (roses they can't hurt you)

Roses they can't hurt you (no, the roses they can't hurt you)

Sally don't you go, don't you go downtown

Sally don't you go-oh, don't you go downtown

Saddest thing in the whole wide world

Is to see your baby with another girl

Sally go round, oh Sally don't you go, don't you go downtown

No, don't you go downtown

Saddest thing in the whole wide world

They won't tell your secret (they won't tell your secret)

They won't tell your secret (no, the roses won't tell your secret)

Sally baby cry, let your hair hang down

Sally baby cry, let your hair hang down

Sit and cry where the roses grow

You can sit and cry, not a soul will know

Sally go round, oh Sally baby cry, let your hair hang down

Yes, let your hair hang down, yeah

Because the saddest thing in the whole wide world

https://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/jaynetts/sally+go+round+the+roses_20770731.html

Songwriters: Abner Spector, Lona Stevens, Zell Sanders

Sally, Go 'Round The Roses lyrics © THE BICYCLE MUSIC COMPANY