Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Why the Kirby Smart-Mark Richt record comparisons are misinformed

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2019 in Article commenting

imageWhy the Kirby Smart-Mark Richt record comparisons are misinformed

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. The Kirby Smart-Mark Richt record comparisons aren't a bad thing, yet When opposing fan bases want to take a

Read the full story here

Comments

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These record comparisons are moronic, what would they have him do? Have a worse record to avoid negative connotations? You talk to anyone in the SEC outside of Bama and they'd gladly trade their last three years for ours.

I also notice that Dawgnation implemented the new spam filter measures, glad to see it.

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with GeoffDawg. At this POINT trying to compare Smart to Richt's record is a futile-moronic exercise.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Richt started out strong, but failed to ever recruit on the same level as Smart. It's one thing to sign a No.3 class followed by a No.9, and an No.12 class, it's another to consistently sign top 5 classes. Smart has vastly improved the lines of scrimmage talent and depth, as well as overall team depth and talent.

Also, Richt never had the benefit of the top flight support and facilities that UGA's now providing. Nobody can tell a recruit that UGA isn't taking their football program seriously any longer.

• latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

The one thing they both have had in common is they cant win the big game.

That being said CMR is out of football after a very nice career while CKS is just getting started.

I think CMR was/is a better Xs and Os gameday coach and CKS is hands down a better recruiter

Time will tell if CKS can get over the hump lets pray as UGA fans its no another 15 years of almost and maybe ….. Just one play off … That's what CMR delivered us and I hope CKS gets over the hump if not by year 8 or so I pray the staff at UGA will be ready to remove him and move on with the next experiment

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not in a million years will Kirby be accused of being complacent nor will he ever have an attitude of entitlement when it comes to his job. Regardless of record, that will be the biggest difference between Coach Smart and Coach Richt.

• maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2019

There are a few similarities but I think Mark Richt did a better job with his running backs, outside linebacker, defensive ends and he manage games better. Kirby is a better recruiter. Three things I want to see this year 1) bring back the toss sweep, 2) limit carries up the middle and 3) unleash those linebackers.

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 620 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Kirby has made some game day mistakes but I believe he will learn from them and adapt. Richt’s seeming stubbornness to adapt is what drove me nuts. Not to mention loyalty to coaches that weren’t getting the job done.
  • johnchappelljohnchappell Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope this stops the spam bots! Comparing Kirby to Richt is just filler material. Give us new information about what's happening now! Enough of this living in the past!

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    No need to compare the 2 coaches.the Dawgs will win it all this year.go Dawgs!!!
  • HamdawgHamdawg Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

Definitely time to move on. The Richt-bashers forget how bad things were for so many years after Herschel left. It was great to be in the mix again to win the conference in all but a couple of Richt's 15 years. Those folks will turn on Kirby pretty quick just like they did on RIcht.. The best thing Kirby has done is take control of the Florida game, which has been awesome. I hope we can avoid what has become the annual SEC West meltdown game (Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU). On paper, this is our best team since '82...should be a fun year! Enjoy the ride, no more comparisons, and GO DAWGS!!!