Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Favorite Movies

Comments

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tarantino directed Pulp Fiction. Great movie. I Love Samuel Jackson's character, Jules. As for Django, not too much. Pretty entertaining movie until the end. I'm sorry. Eye gouging and biting and breaking limbs in that scene with Dacrappio and the two slaves fighting each other to the death" ruined it. Or maybe I'm just old.

Same for some war movies. I can watch Full metal Jacket any day. I can't watch Platoon. I guess it's the realism or level of brutality in some movies.

• Options
    FFMEDIC806FFMEDIC806 Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore
    Saving Private Ryan
    Black Hawk Down
    The Highwaymen
    Shawshank
    The Green Mile

• Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
    My favorite movie? Rocky.

The best movie I ever saw? Shawshank Redemption.

25 years later I remember when, where, and with whom, I saw it. No matter when I see it on tv, I just watch it from whatever part I come in on. Flawless.

To this day the highest rated movie on IMDb.
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Lonesome Dove is a mini series, but it's a great one. Brando was great as Vito Corleone in GFI.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    If y’all like history like I do, watch Chernobyl on HBO. It’s fantastic television. 
  • Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How could I have forgotten Silence of the Lambs? That was a good movie.

• Options
    KeithsaxonKeithsaxon Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And I forgot Jeremiah Johnson! I have the CRS disease.

• Options
    WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I've been meaning to watch that...I'm into that historical stuff, and HBO usually does such a great job.

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I second @greshamdisco on Chernobyl. It's really compelling. I think it's really a good time to do a subject like that because the CGI/FX have gotten good enough to show how effed up the radiation and it's effects were...though it can be gnarly at times to watch.

I was thinking during one of the early episodes that it was almost like a horror/postapocalyse movie but instead of zombies or supernatural stuff it was the fallout and radiation. Since it was the Soviets you had the mindblowingly/frustratingly dumb decisions of a horror movie too. And yet it is based on real events.

• Options
    Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I know Band of Brothers is a Mini series but that is by far my favorite produced anything. Love it. 
  • Options
    fitzdawgfitzdawg Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ Junior
    Let me try my hand at this. Movie preferences should be broken up by genre. Me, well, I'm a comedy guy. Comedy movies, to me, are almost not even real movies. Still my favourites and top movies vary.
    Favourite dramas/ action films
    Inglorious Basterds
    Goodfellas
    The Iceman
    Fargo
    The Untouchables 
    Flight
    Comedy: 
    40 year olds virgin 
    Knocked up
    Funny people [probably my favorite] don't @me
    Walk Hard (The Dewy Cox Story) the best bs film ever made
    Step Brothers

• Options
    dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2019
    Rocky I
    Forest Gump
    Titatanic
    Aviatar
    Coming to America
    Scarface
    The Princes Bride
    A Field of Dreams
    A Walk in the Clouds

• Options
    RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True Romance (favorite Tarantino film, he wrote but Tony Scott directed)

Original Star Wars trilogy

Lord of the Rings trilogy

Shawshank

Dumb and Dumber

The Hangover

Spaceballs

Blazing Saddles

Anchorman

Animal House

Blade Runner

The Watchmen

Princess Bride

V for Vendetta

Fight Club

Forrest Gump

Ocean's Eleven

Gladiator

Avengers 1

The Dark Knight

The Matrix

Back to the Future

The Big Lebowski

Groundhog Day

Leon: The Professional

The Fifth Element

Too many, I could go on and on...

• Options
    how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Great thread .. here are 4 great movies I haven't seen mentioned..older but still great .
    Shane ... Jack Palance was great
    The Wild Bunch ...too grafic for John Wayne
    One Eyed Jack's.. great revenge story , Brando starred in it and directed it.
    Cat on a Hot Tin Roof .... young Liz Taylor, Paul Newman and a stellar performance by Burl Ives.
  • Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

fitzdawg. Walk Hard, This Is Spinal Tap and Best In show are all great mock-umentaries. This Is Spiral Tap gets my nod because it's great, it mocks a real and also great musical documentary ( The Last Waltz) and it was very original.

• Options
    bhs11bhs11 Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Cool Hand Luke
  • Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Someone mentioned Once Upon a Time in the West, good one only movie that Fonda played a bad guy. Another long one that I always have to watch is Ben Hur
  • Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Forrest Gump. It's got it all.