Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What’s a Dawgs fan to do: Keep those Notre Dame tickets, or cash in?

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited June 2019 in Article commenting

imageWhat’s a Dawgs fan to do: Keep those Notre Dame tickets, or cash in?

Demand may make the Dawgs’ game against the Fighting Irish the priciest in college football this year.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Sounds like it would be easy as pie to add baseball stadium seats. If there's a demand for them it should be a no brainer.

Speaking of no brainers, the headline asks a question, "What’s a Dawgs fan to do: Keep those Notre Dame tickets, or cash in?" Either choice is a winner, but money now isn't going to substitute for a lifelong great memory, story, and bragging rights. Only one choice is a no brainer, but I also hope there will be seats available for Notre Dame fans who want to attend.

By all accounts Notre Dame and its fans were incredibly hospitable to us when we played them in South Bend. I feel certain most Georgia fans plan to reciprocate, but giving up tickets is a bit much to ask of fans fortunate enough to have them.

Georgia games are great on the television, but the game is different in the stadium.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is there a way to sell your tickets while insuring that they are sold to a UGA fan? I don't want Notre Dame fans to do to us what we did to them by "taking over" their stadium. In reality, I don't think that will happen since I think the biggest demand for tickets will be from UGA fans.

• Options
    BobRodesBobRodes Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

Oh, by all means cash in. That's what we did to help y'all take over our stadium, and turnabout is fair play. :)

Best of luck in September. Should be a good game. I think you have the edge, but we're not the chopped liver the media sometimes act like we are, either.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good, grief! Y'all don't sale your tickets! Go to the game and enjoy this historic event between the hedges. We absolutely cannot allow Sanford to be taken over by fans of the visiting team. We MUST show up in full force for our guys. We MUST be there and make some noise for our boys! We MUST represent the G! Dawg fans have always traveled well supporting this team, and the college football world has taken notice. Let's not drop the ball when it comes to supporting our guys at home, 'tween the hedges. That would be an absolute tragedy. We have a reputation for being some of the best fans in all of sports, let's keep it that way. Keep your dang tickets and get your behinds to the game. Our guys need us. We need them, too. right? You want championships, right? You CAN make a difference by being in that stadium! Let's fill up Sanford with all that beautiful red! Let's go!

GO DAWGS!

BEAT NOTRE DAME!

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fans clamor for important home games against the nation's elite teams and then are supposedly tossing a coin as to whether they should sell their tickets or not. This Dawg will be in the stadium for Notre Dame and honestly could care less what they're selling for on the secondary market. Bottom line; keep your tickets, show up and make some noise for the Dawgs!

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'll give this new method a chance...I stopped posting here because the majority of comments were spam...and no interested in doing anything about it......If that continues I won't be here long.

I plan to attend the ND game......I live out of state and plan to fly in for the game....BTW I don't have a ticket......I plan to go early and stand outside with a sign "Alum needs ticket" ....This has always worked. I have always been able to get a seat (Usually a good seat, I sat on the 35 in the Rose bowl for $240)....and I don't think I'll have any trouble this time around.....All of that said I'm not paying big money for a ticket. If push came to shove, I would go into a bar downtown and watch the game.

• Options
    HistoryofMattHistoryofMatt Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

A few thoughts, Bill:

I'm honestly torn about selling my Notre Dame tickets. If I could get $1K for each ticket, I could turn around and donate that $2K to the Hartman Fund, which would go a long way to help me keep my tickets for next year, as this is my last year of the Young Alumni program that our terrible AD just cancelled in his pursuit for ever more money he has no intention of spending at the expense of a hostile home field advantage. However, if we do make the playoffs again, and say Jake comes back for his Senior year, then the minimum Hartman Fund donation to be able to buy tickets will be something insane, like $20K. So then I'd have not gone to a once-in-a-lifetime game for basically nothing. It's a gamble.

The alcohol issue as illustrated by David is mostly irrational fear driven by feelings over fact by those not in favor of selling alcohol to the peons who aren't Magill Society members. I mean, how on earth would it be possible to sell beer in the stadium and keep the peace? It's not like the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, etc, etc, etc have been doing just that for decades. What the Davids of the world never seem to admit to is that if beer is sold in the stadium, there will be LESS drunk people going into the game. There will be LESS people smuggling-in alcohol. Fans won't feel the need to get plastered in their tailgates, because they'll be able to buy beer in the stadium. There are ways to regulate alcohol sales to keep them out of reach of minors as best we can. To fret about it as the Davids of the world do is to ignore facts, and the thing is, facts don't care about your feelings.

It's time to move Georgia-Florida to home and home. It's time. Some traditions should last forever (The Deep South's Oldest Rivalry). Some traditions have their time in the sun, but need to end. Going to Jacksonville every year is the latter. One of the former benefits of the game in Jacksonville was in recruiting South Georgia and Northern Florida. That's not how recruiting works anymore. Recruiting in modern college football is about bringing your recruits on campus for big time games to show off your facilities, the game day atmosphere, etc. Playing in Jacksonville hurts recruiting by taking the biggest game of the year for Georgia and make it so we can't recruit. Also, let's be honest: Jacksonville is a hole. The stadium sucks. St. Simons is overrated, and apologies to South Georgia fans, but you're in the minority. Far more Dawgs above the fall line, and this game hurts season ticket holders by taking a marquis game away from us every other year. Also, I think it's in the 2027 or 2029 season, but if we are still playing this game in Jacksonville, because of our upgraded scheduling we will have only FIVE home games in one of those years. Five home games out of a 12 game season. That is unacceptable. It's time. Playing in Jacksonville every year so 40 and 50 year old Dawgs can pretend they're 20 years old again for 3 days has run it's course. If the Iron Bowl can go home-and-home, so can Georgia-Florida.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior
    Two thoughts. Not only do I have a real problem with season ticket holders brokering their tickets, I question their loyalty as fans. If they cannot attend the game, then take advantage of the transfer or return programs that UGA has in place. Then tickets would at least go to a charity or Georgia fan. If money is the problem, then why purchase the tickets to begin with? The university needs to consider removing ticket privileges from holders that broker tickets.

With respect to Foley Field seating, the capacity needs to be expanded. The setting & location are perfect. Once again, I wish Morehead, McGarity and the University would develop & publish some sort of long-term facility and capital improvement plan that addresses all areas of the campus and venues. Too often it seems the university is reacting, often too late I might add, to the need to upgrade, beautify, or replace tired, outdated or inadequate facilities. Maybe there is a plan out there, but either way, I would like to see the vision for the future. 
  • Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In terms of alcohol, I think it's amusing that people think STUDENTS are going to pay the high stadium cost of a beer. Yeah, right. I'm sure there are some spoiled students with unlimited budgets, but I'd imagine most couldn't justify purchasing more than 1 financially and that's not to even mention the risk involved with purchasing it underage at a place where I'm sure police officers are watching very, very closely.

Nah, it'd be the drunk alumni you'd worry about LOL.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's would be such incredible (and NOT in a good way) irony if Georgia fans sold THEIR tickets to ND fans and ND fans wound up taking over the stadium. I'm not worried, though. Georgia has always had a great fan base even when our record was so-so and now that we are in the Smart era, it's even stronger.